3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Factory Trailer Hitch Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Thrust1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory Trailer Hitch Removal

Can anyone help me with info on how to remove the factory trailer hitch. I'v got an O4 Ram Quad Cab and seems like all of the bolts holding it on are removed. Are they tack welded? Any help please...

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:43 PM
sos
All Star

I believe the factory hitch is welded on - at least mine is. It's welded to the metal beam that is hidden behind the bumper - but since yours is an 04 it might be a little different. I didn't even notice any bolts on mine.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Thrust1
Question No sign of any welds, just bolts?

This is making me feel stupid. My hitch has several bolts holding it on. It's the heavy duty black tube factory hitch that wraps around very tight under the bumper. It's only made to put a ball on it. I got a new factory hitch that looks just like it, but it's got the 2in reciever. Both hitches look like they were made to bolt up, no welds. I took the bumper off and have all of the bolts out of the hitch and it's rock solid. I can stand on it or hit with a hammer and get no movment. All I can think is it might be a tac weld? I just can find where?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:05 PM
sos
All Star

Well I believe that the "add on" factory receiver should just bolt on, I don't think you have to remove the existing parts. It should just be a receiver that attaches underneath. Maybe you got the wrong part? Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the 04's will chime in.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Thrust1

I've seen aftermarket hitches that will bolt up to my factory hitch so I know what your are talking about. But, what I purchased is the whole factory hitch. This was off the same year truck, so I know they can be removed and replaced, just have no clue how? It looks so easy, 3 main bolts on each side and it should pull right out. I've got the advantage of having the new one off the truck to see if any other fastener could be out of view, but I see nothing? Hope I can find help on this.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Thrust1

I found instructions to install an aftermarket bumper. It says you need to remove the factory tow frame (Hitch) so I know it can be done. It says you need to lift the bed of the truck off the frame 6 inches in the back to remove the factory hitch. What a pain, I guess the bed of the Dodge sits on tabs that hold the hitch in place, even with all the bolts removed. Let's give the guy who designed that one a round of applause.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 PM
sos
All Star

I guess that's why they make the add on receiver that just bolts underneath instead of all that work. At least you don't have to cut any welds! Not sure how much you paid for the part you got, but I think the receiver is about $90.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Thrust1

You are correct. I'm ordering one of the aftermarkets that bolt under my hitch today. I just thought it would be cool to have the factory hitch. It fits so clean so all you see is the 2in reciever. I picked this one up cheep from a guy who took it off his truck when it was new. He just forgot to tell me what a pain it is to replace!

Quick Reply: Factory Trailer Hitch Removal