3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seafoam now... or wait till oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 PM
kutz420
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seafoam now... or wait till oil change?

So I was doing some maintenance... Oil change, plugs, air filter recharge when WTF! There's a hole in my air filter! Pulled the tube and hemi hat off and felt sick. There's was a pretty fair amount of built up $hit on my throttle body. Pulled the TB off and just as bad in the (manifold?)
So anyways I cleaned up my TB and reinstalled everything and got a new airfilter.

My dilemma is... Should I seafoam it now? I changed the oil first so the oil is brand new(and synthetic) Will it make a difference if I seafoam it now and not change the oil until its ready? I kinda figured dirt and carbon would get in the oil after the foaming but I'm unsure. Any thought are appreciated.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:55 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're gonna do it, wait until just before the next oil change.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 AM
seawind3000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seafoam mine at any time. I put 1/2 a can in about 1/2 a tank of gas and put the other 1/2 can in my oil. Then i drive it like I stole it. I don't drain the oil right after. All the sludge is liquefied and picked up by the filter and the seafoam goes up the pvc valve in a day or two. If the engine is VERY dirty with alot of sludge, I will change the oil after a day or two, but usually I will drive on to the next oil change time.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:10 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are going to use Seafoam, it will work twice as well if you mix it with a conventional oil. Synthetics have a chemical compound to them that coat the metal parts in a way that the Seafoam cannot bond with them for optimal results.

I've read this from a couple of sources (labs) now.

I'd say do a change to regular oil with the Seafoam, then change early, maybe 1500 miles to the synthetic...

Old 04-25-2009, 10:02 AM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

ive had heard of seafoam a couple times.... it seems like it cleans the inside of the motor? but also sounds weird putting this stuff in lol .....does it really work and it is it recommended? and would your local checkers have this stuff?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I knows i've seen it at auto zone and the wally world down the street by my house.Hasven't tried it yet.but, i am the next time i do an oil change

Old 04-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seafoam is a major thing to do on older trucks. It is really popular to do in the second gen world. Most of us 2nd gen guys dont really bieleive in doing the 1/3 in the booster, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 in the gas. Most just do 1/2 in the booster, and 1/2 in the gas.
Personally, I use one whole bottle in the booster or Throttle body every other oil change.
If your motor is really gummed up, you will know it.
I usually take the air cleaner assembly off, and slowly pour it into the intake while the motor is at idle. Those of you that have an electroinic throttle will have to go really slow since you wont be able to rev the engine while pouring to keep it running.
I usually do that all the way up to 3/4 of the can, and then I will pour the rest in after it (this should kill the engine when you pour that much in that quickly).
Wait about 15- 20 minutes, and then fire it back up.
If the engine is really dirty the exhaust will be almost black for a few seconds, and then it will change into a white smoke.
This isnt something you might want to do in a crowded subdivision though, because it will almost look like your burning your house down.
Walmart has it
Oriely's auto has it
Auto Zone has it
Advanced has it
Napa has it
Checkers has it

Pretty much any store that has any kind of an auto section will have it.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

excellent

Old 04-25-2009, 01:04 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

If you're just putting it in the fuel tank and/or through the booster then any time is fine...if you're adding to the oil do a change a couple hundred miles later. Seafoam has solvents in it that will and do thin your oil. If you want a safe additive that specifically cleans the crankcase then use autoRX....you have to follow the directions to the T during the cleaning and rinse phase. It doesn't have solvents that will dry out your seals....to me seafoam is mainly a top-end/fuel system cleaner that i'd never put it in the oil.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:37 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

isnt that one of the reasons we use synthetic oil is to help keep sludge in check? Is this more for trucks that have ran on dino oil? I have used synthetic oil since I did my first oil change and after reading threads on sea foam am starting to wonder if I should start using it.

Quick Reply: Seafoam now... or wait till oil change?