3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OBD code P0420 and P0430 on my 2004 ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 AM
04ramRI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD code P0420 and P0430 on my 2004 ram 1500

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I'm hopping someone can give me some good advice on where to start fixing my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 (Hemi)

I bought the truck and it had the following added:

K&N intake
Throttle body spacer
Stainless steel exhaust
Stainless steel headers
High flow cats
High flow magnaflow muffler

When the exhaust was replaced all four O2 sensors were replaced. I am getting four error codes which are:

P0420 Bank 1
P0430 Bank 2
P0420 Bank 1
P0230 Bank 2

I spoke to the guy at the auto parts store and he stated that he doubted the problem would be my O2 Sensors however he was unable to give me any suggestions as to what the problem may be. I do notice a smell of unburnt fuel when the truck is idling in one place. Has anyone had any experience with this problem before and if so do you have any ideas how to fix it?

Thank you in advance
Jamie

Old 02-17-2010, 09:20 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would imagine the Hi Flow cats & muffler have your O2 way out of stock range so they are triggering a the sensors. If'n it were me, I'd try the non-fouler trick first, since it's a $5 per side band aide...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:23 AM
wyseguy77
Captain

Do it!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
04ramRI

Thank you for the advice. I read up on the Fouler trick and I attempted it today. The problem I am having is everytime I drill out a hole large enough to accept the O2 sensor the walls of the fouler become so thin that the threads just break off. I have read several threads about this and nobody else has mentioned having this problem. Does anyone know if anyone sells a part specifically designed for this purpose, that I would not had to drill out. Also I read somewhere that you can also use tin foil to accomplish the same thing. Does anyone have any info on that?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Jamie

Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Might I also suggest takin off the Throttle Body Spacer and selling it to some other idiot who thinks it actually helps you.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 PM
04ramRI

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
Might I also suggest takin off the Throttle Body Spacer and selling it to some other idiot who thinks it actually helps you.
The only thing I think it is good for is making sure you don't fall asleep while driving. It makes an annoying whistling sound at city driving speeds. If there is no mpg gain it is coming out this weekend.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 04ramRI
The only thing I think it is good for is making sure you don't fall asleep while driving. It makes an annoying whistling sound at city driving speeds. If there is no mpg gain it is coming out this weekend.
That's about it, it's been proven on here time and time again with dyno tests and all that there is no power gain or mileage gain with a spacer. They only work on carb'd engines.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 PM
bltp203
Rookie

I did a search and found that someone does make these.

http://www.alternativegassolutions.c...art&Itemid=115

Old 03-29-2010, 03:48 PM
02 4.7 Durango
Rookie
Default P0420

I got this code today, this engine has less than 200 miles on it, based off other occurrences with this shop and the amount of work I have had them redo I suspect more hopeful that something else is loose.

After work I will be tracing all vacuum lines and try and see around the exhaust manifold heat shield if perhaps there are loose bolts. Since everything is new it may be easy to see an exhaust leak. although the 02 sensors are from the standard engines time but were replaced at 65000 miles currently it has just under 160000. If all else fails it does indicate the catalytic converter has gone bad, I found this one through a search here. http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...%2094009&dds=1 a MagnaFlow 94009, I think I may do this mod even if it turns out to be something else, recently a muffler shop told me I needed this in order to remove the stock YPIPE. On that sub what do you think is a fair price to fab two pipes from the old ypipe location to the Magnaflow to the muffler? Sorry off sub.

Any way if you are ever in the Clarksville TN area and need an engine shop, steer clear from A1 automotive on Crosland AVE. I definitely had too much confidence in Will the owner and Bobby the head mechanics ability. More venting but I just really don’t appreciate someone who thinks I don’t know **** then try and feed me a line of bull to cover their mistakes. Funny thing also after they had to redo a whole Saturday of work on my truck they tried to ask for compensation for the day’s work, needless to say I said nothing and backed out and drove away.

The engine was intended for a jeep and I provided them with loads of literature to assist with the install in the end the only thing that had to be changed was the oil pan, but I knew that it came with a big sticker and tag on the engine that said to do so. So guess what they did, yup dropped it on the 4x4 so the oil pan that was brand new that I could have sold or given to someone in need of a Jeep GC oil pan has a great big dent and deep scratches in it.

Lesson learned although my biggest problem is time and proper facilities I just don’t have them. And this is what you get when you can’t check on someone’s work on a daily basis, they definitely needed adult supervision still do. So regardless what else I may find it will be me and my time re doing their mistakes.

my code was P0420 Load bank 1, propable causes;
cataltyic converter faulty
engine misfire, or running condition
Large vacuum leak
engine oil leak into exhaust valve guide
pistion rings

all the sensors have been replaced, cam crank oil water map iac tps

=04ramRI;2003795]Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I'm hopping someone can give me some good advice on where to start fixing my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 (Hemi)

I bought the truck and it had the following added:

K&N intake
Throttle body spacer
Stainless steel exhaust
Stainless steel headers
High flow cats
High flow magnaflow muffler

When the exhaust was replaced all four O2 sensors were replaced. I am getting four error codes which are:

P0420 Bank 1
P0430 Bank 2
P0420 Bank 1
P0230 Bank 2

I spoke to the guy at the auto parts store and he stated that he doubted the problem would be my O2 Sensors however he was unable to give me any suggestions as to what the problem may be. I do notice a smell of unburnt fuel when the truck is idling in one place. Has anyone had any experience with this problem before and if so do you have any ideas how to fix it?

Thank you in advance
Jamie[/quote]

Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM
fordmandodgefan

i used non foulers on my wife stratus after puting a header on it and they worked and had no problem but i put long tube heraders and removed the cats completly on my 04 ram hemi and the nonfoulers didnt work lights still on put i have herd some perfomace shops can turn off your o2 sensors when they tune your Computer but idk how much it would cost

Quick Reply: OBD code P0420 and P0430 on my 2004 ram 1500