3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 PM
BigPun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and have questions

Hello all! I am the proud owner of a 07 Ram 2500 6.7L Quad Cab. I just ran into this site and have a few questions about where to start the upgrades. I am NO grease monkey and pretty much just learned how to change my oil. I was one of those kids growing up who's dad just took the car to Jiffy Lube. Now I am 25, married, and have a bad *** truck that I want to learn all about. I am stationed right now in Minot ND in the Air Force so I don't have much else to do. One of my friends up here owns a Ford Super Duty 3500 and is getting a new exhaust tomorrow actually. He is shelling out $1700 for it. I called the same place and was quoted the same. If I remember right it was for a 5inch exhaust, dpf delete, a tuner computer, and some other items that I can't remember at the moment. Does this sounds like a good deal? I also am thinking about getting a K and N air filter for around 300. I am currently getting about 14.5-15 MPG and this is also what I hope to increase. Thanks for any help and glad to be a part of this forum!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:45 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! We have a pretty active member here stationed where you are, AF_HEMI. He's modded his rig pretty good but his is a gaser. Not too many on here run with the diesels but i'm sure the ones who do will chime in. Got any pics of the ride?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Matt99
Champion

Maybe mmstar will chime in, he knows a ton about your truck. I know the 6.7 has some extra green parts, and the more of them you delete the better power/gas mileage

Old 04-15-2010, 05:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

We have a sub section dedicated to CTD owners, you may find a few more answers to your questions there. Welcome to the forum...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-cummins-diesel-88/

Old 04-15-2010, 05:55 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

Welcome Bro!! sounds like u got urself a nice truck!!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 PM
rocket23
Champion

^^^x4!!

Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

hahahah i love it!! welcome to the site cameron.

...BigPun and I just happen to be in the same squadron. we were talkin about this last thursday in the hall at work.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 AM
mmstar23
Champion

the 6.7 was doomed the "death of cummins" and they have actually pulled through and become quite the engine. the 6.7 does have a few things that need to go that will net you a more reliable truck along with better economy and an added boost in horsepower and the almighty diesel torque. unless you plan on doing a lot of power adders, i would stay away from a 5" exhaust. 5" will actually hurt your performance over a 4" system. so if you plan on a few deletes along with an exhaust, programmer and CAI, i would go with the 4". if you plan on doing much more, then get yourself the 5". a dpf delete will help a lot along with a egr delete. both of these make for better reliability and better mpg's. also i dont pay that much attention to the 6.7 programmer, but the MADS smarty id the best thing going for the 5.9, not sure if the same is true for the 6.7. i know a lot of guys use the XRT on their 6.7? i believe thats what its called....ill look into it for you. next thing i saw in your post was K&N. sure for a gasser. DO NOT buy a K&N cold air system for your diesel. S&B makes a nice setup or better yet an AIRAID stage II or III. im also not a fan of banks. as far as an exhaust brand, i like MBRP. your trans (68RFE) is much more stout than the 48RE (POS) but youre still going to want to beef it up. torque converter, flexplate, input/output/intermediate shafts and a valve body will all be crucial. keep in mind the trans is FAR from cheap. and if you dont have the money to invest in a trans, i would stay away from crazy power adders and boosted launches. another smart investment is your fueling source. an AIR DOG II or FASS is what you want. i prefer the Air Dog. other than that, just post if you have any questions.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 AM
hoss67
Record Breaker

^^^ sounds like a lecture my foreign professor gives, at the end im like WTF did he just say? hahaha

Quick Reply: New and have questions