3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

my efan thread....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my efan thread....

well to start off i have been looking into doing my efan mod for quite a while now. i as of wed got my efan at the local pick n pull. i am using a 2 speed hi-low ford taurus efan took it out of a 95 taurus 3.8l wagon. its in good shap minus the dirt that came with it. cost for the fan $20 + tax. i then took the advice from weedahoe and bought a controller from advance auto parts for $35.99 +tax. i am also grabbing a few leds from radioshack which will be wired in a few diff locations in my dash (not really related but) and one certain color for when my fan turns on. i also am following a diy i found made by offroadteacher as a guide through my install process. i still need my brackets for hanging it but ill get them in the morning. before i start my mod process. i am hoping to get to this saturday as i don't have any plans but you never know what could come up.....so follow my thread as i will post pics as i do my install and ill have many pics to answer some questions that i too have and other will have when they decide to do this install.....i need a few pics of where to put the temp probe on the radiator and if anyone has pics of the fan mounted with out the factory shroud please post them up...i will be putting the factory shroud back on for a stock look.....

Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 PM
jake7
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take some pics!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i plan on it. all thru my process, that way i can answer some of the questions i have always had and others will...

Old 07-17-2010, 03:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I left my shroud off as I liked the cleaner look and more room. However, if you want to add it in, when I did have mine in there I found it was easier to place the fan in the shroud and put it all in at the same time. My fan is bolted to the rad though and not the shroud just to be clear.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i went and bought some straps from advance to hook it to the radiator they were mounting straps made by imperial. ziptie looking things that supposedly work really well...weed im going to try the route we discussed even though frog has my mind cobbled with needing this stinger 80a relay...i plan on running it the same and if i run into a problem with it then ill buy the bigger relay off ebay that fits in my controller...i have 2 wires that can control 2 fans i only plan to use one so ill cap the other,and frog also said i didn't need to use the a/c relay wire as our trucks have its own a/c fan (which i knew) but thought i had to hook it up anyway, now i know i dont need too. now af_hemi mentioned instead of me just leaving the high side unhooked (and ready to be used if need be) i can run a separate wire to a toggle, and use the high side that way...i dont need a controller for that but im sure i need a decent inline fuse, and ground my toggle....thus far this is my plan as i didnt get to it today and unless tomorrows weather is decent i will try and get to it then....

Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

my efan is in and installed i have pics and will post them, but i need to know what to set my temp pot at so the fan comes on at the right time ....somebody anybody....remember 4.7l....still stock stat will put 180* in soon tho....

Old 07-18-2010, 07:29 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Originally Posted by jusjay727
my efan is in and installed i have pics and will post them, but i need to know what to set my temp pot at so the fan comes on at the right time ....somebody anybody....remember 4.7l....still stock stat will put 180* in soon tho....
I used a programmer to monitor the coolant temp until it reached 198 and then turned the dial on the controller until the fan turned on.

And btw, I got those mounting zip tie things and I thought they were horrible. They wouldn't hold the fan up and kept coming loose. Actual zip ties worked much better and i attached those to the sides and the bottom of the fan while I used mounting brackets for the top.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 PM
luckydt
Veteran

Robers you need to hook me up with those straps so i can install my e-fan next weekend!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

mine worked great i set the fan on the rail and mounted them they hold it well all i have for a programmer is my sc 3865 and my gage on my dash, i was using a infared temp thing and it seemed to not be very good as it was reading temp of hose....but my fan kicks on about 45sec later my stat opens a minute or so later the fan shuts off....special thanks go out to smknram he was available for im and helped me on any question i had when it came to adjusting my temps thanks big man i really appreciate it...
sorry they are from recent to beginning....and dirtiest my engine bay has ever been will be clean for car show next weekend....
Name:  100_5665.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  135.3 KB
Name:  100_5664.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  206.1 KB
Name:  100_5663.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  178.3 KB
Name:  100_5662.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  193.6 KB
Name:  100_5661.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  197.9 KB
Name:  100_5660.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  163.1 KB
Name:  100_5659.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  190.7 KB

Last edited by BadHab1t; 07-18-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Jay, where the eff are the pics bro?

Lucky, you have one bad *** looking truck.

Quick Reply: my efan thread....