2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram Snorkel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:24 AM
2001OffroadRam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Ram Snorkel?

Has anyone ever seen a snorkel kit for Dodge Ram? I've seen them for jeeps and toyotas but can't seem to find one for my ram

Old 07-10-2006, 12:32 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2001 Dodge Ram Snorkel?

None that I know of. I've seen some custom made out of ABS pipe.

These trucks really weren't made to go through deep water. Too many fluids to change when you do [:'(]

Old 07-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For starters, I agree with Rom. If you are in water so deep that you actually need the snorkel to maintain air into the engine (i.e. more then just high splashing water), then you better be running smoke stakes or some other high exhaust too, or it won't matter how much air you have coming into the engine. Also, if your truck is an auto trans, they are notorious for letting water in if submerged for any length of time.. The trans is much lower then your air intake too, so I would be more worried about that then a snorkel.

That said, I have seen several Rams in my area with a snorkel setups. They usually look like a decent kit too, not something someone fabbed up in their garage from things they bought at home depot. Perhaps they are using one of the existing kits for jeeps or other, and then just fabricating the connection to the air hat.

I would suggest posting this question over on pavementsucks.com. If anyone has done something like that and actually used it for what it is intended for, it would be the guys over there. I think we concluded in previous posts that it is ok to reference pavementsucks since it is an all around 4x4 and off-road forum rather then a dodge specific forum that would be competition for this forum (which is not allowed).

Old 07-10-2006, 02:44 AM
radwebster
Captain

your exhaust does not have to be out of the water. mine has been fully submerged quite a few times, it just bubbles out.

there is (was?) a snorkel available, made by safari. there was a thread with pictures on pavementsucks, search for it

Old 07-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have personally seen a truck die because the tail pipe was submerged. This guy was backing a boat into the water, and went a little too far, far enough that the rear wheels passed the end of the paved boat ramp. The tires sunk down into the the sandy lake bottom beyond the end of the paved ramp. The front end was sufficiently above water because the front tires where still on the ramp, but the whole rear was pretty well submerged. It acted the same as if you had put a potato in the tail pipe. Granted, it was pretty deep water at that point, and the vehicle was sitting still, not moving. It bubbled for a while, then it could no longer keep up and died. The intake and ignition electricals up front were free of water though since it was higher up on the inclined ramp, so it was indeed due to tail pipe being submersed.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:06 AM
radwebster
Captain

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I have personally seen a truck die because the tail pipe was submerged. This guy was backing a boat into the water, and went a little too far, far enough that the rear wheels passed the end of the paved boat ramp. The tires sunk down into the the sandy lake bottom beyond the end of the paved ramp. The front end was sufficiently above water because the front tires where still on the ramp, but the whole rear was pretty well submerged. It acted the same as if you had put a potato in the tail pipe. Granted, it was pretty deep water at that point, and the vehicle was sitting still, not moving. It bubbled for a while, then it could no longer keep up and died. The intake and ignition electricals up front were free of water though since it was higher up on the inclined ramp, so it was indeed due to tail pipe being submersed.

fair enough, but i have many, many people that can personally attest to my truck being VERY deep in water, with the pipe about a foot or more under water, and it idled without any problem for HOURS.
i have also seen many trucks do this too, NEVER seen a truck die because of that.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 AM
radwebster
Captain

pics

Old 07-10-2006, 05:13 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

where can you find one of those at?? and about how much do they run?? im really not trying to sink my truck in some deep water but i'd still like the look of them

Old 07-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Tani1500
Champion

ive never had a problem with my exhaust being under water. it just bubbles right out. if you think you want to run a snorkel for doing crap like this. you also need to extend all your breather lines and make sure everything is sealed up good. that includes waterproofing the distributer and such.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:38 PM
2001OffroadRam
Rookie

Thanks for all the input, I'm not planning on going thru any deep water but I like the look of snorkels.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram Snorkel?