2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram Snorkel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 PM
XFIRE669
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey i have an 07 ram and i was thinking abt getting a snorkel kit for my truck..buts its cause im afraid to get water in my intake cause i go mudding and ****...would that matter or do i not even need to bother getting a snorkel kit???

Old 05-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is a mud racing pit up the road for me and a lot of those guys run a cai-like pipe straight through the firewall into the cab with a k&n on the end of it.

http://www.ncmudracing.com/maphotel.htm
that place is great too, bring a grill a cooler full of beer and sit back and watch those guys run all day long.

a friend of mine used to have a blazer that he did that do and he was out wheeling with a bunch of big trucks, trying to keep up. he had some redneck nitrous too, his passenger was sitting behind the end of his intake pipe and he gave him q's on when to spray ether into the pipe. thats about as redneck as it gets right there.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
PaynTrain

Do you think the Ram cannot handle a quick river cross? We cross a river to get to camp, and it can be deep if raining. Would that damage the transmission or anything else? Thanks

Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Old thread.....

The trans vent is up above the pump, inside the housing, where the torque converter is. Get in water deep enough to touch the torque converter, and it will start tossing it around, and it WILL get in to the trans. Really a stupid design as far as I am concerned.....

Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 PM
PaynTrain

Wow. That is terrible. I will go check the thread. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 AM
PaynTrain

Does anyone know of a way to run a line from the trans vent line or something? I am not traversing a fjiord, but I really want to be safe as the river can get quite deep in the rainy season. Thanks all.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

You would have to plug the current vent, and then install another somewhere else..... Where to put the new one is the big question...... I don't have an answer for that. Might have a chat with a local trans shop, or give PATC a call, and see what they have to say.

If you could put a vent hole on top of the trans somewhere, and seal a tube to it, you could run a vent hose anywhere you like, to keep it up out of the water.....

GM made it easy, they already have the little vent tube on the top of the trans, just push a line onto it, and route it where you want it...... Wish dodge would have done the same....

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram Snorkel?