Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil, change, types

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're probably ok, but I wouldn't take my vehicle there again if they aren't going to check what they are putting in your new truck is correct before they put it in.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jukeboxfun
Well, that's exactly what happened and now it shows a about 1/4th quart too much oil.....quarter inch over the hash marks. Should I try to loosen the drain cap and let some run out? I have been driving it since friday with no ill affects that I can see. I called and asked them about it and they said it would be fine. The dip stick doesn't look frothy or anything when I check the oil. I asked my father in-law (an old time mechanic) and he said it should be fine.
I would call Chrysler and tell them exactly what this dealership did to you. With Chrysler going bankrupt and closing a bunch of dealerships down, I am sure they would love to hear about one they left open who is taking shortcuts with customers.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 AM
ictsean
Amateur

I'd go back to the service manager and tell him that since you paid (I am assuming you paid) for the service to be done properly... and you are paying (I am assuming you are paying) your payments on a brand new truck, and he is not paying the payments on your brand new truck, and won't be paying the future repair bills on the truck.. that you expect them to drain it and remove the filter and replace it with a new filter and the proper amount of oil from new containers of the proper weight. You go to work and slay the dragon everyday to make those payments... if you didn't he would never have met you... you are paying hard earned money for a product.. and a service and you expect professionalism in it's build, sale and service. If you wanted to buy and pay to service a yugo.. you would have.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
sidh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you get your oil tested?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
BOFslime
Rookie

Originally Posted by chambers
You're probably ok, but I wouldn't take my vehicle there again if they aren't going to check what they are putting in your new truck is correct before they put it in.
This

And overfilling a little isn't really a bad thing, 1/4 qt over isn't going to do a thing. Drive it, dont' worry, and just take it somewhere else next service.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sidh
Where do you get your oil tested?
Blackstone labs. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

First oil change at 2500 miles.Used Amsoil 5w20 XL series.Its a BLEND Group 3 oil as is Mobil 1,Castrol Syntec,Pennzoil Platinum etc.The REAL synthetics are a Group 4 and 5.They are TWICE the money these so called triple refined group three oils that are ALLOWED to use the TERM SYNTHETIC.Anyhow I hate shopping at stores.I order most everything by phone or online.Have used Amsoil products for years.Wix oil filter.The reason for the XL series and not a Amsoil FULL synthetic is that the WARRANTY requires TWO oil changes a year(every 6 months) or 6k OR when the oil change now thing goes off.Factory oil filters have been a pain to remove ever since I can remember on new vehicles.All of these NEW group three synthetics you can buy over the counter can go 6 and 6 easily.3k oil changes are a thing of the past and a waste of oil and money.Back the show!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

hounddog.. i reread your post twice.. i haven't a clue what you said lol..

something about a blend... and a mixture of oils?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hounddogg
First oil change at 2500 miles.Used Amsoil 5w20 XL series.Its a BLEND Group 3 oil as is Mobil 1,Castrol Syntec,Pennzoil Platinum etc.The REAL synthetics are a Group 4 and 5.They are TWICE the money these so called triple refined group three oils that are ALLOWED to use the TERM SYNTHETIC.Anyhow I hate shopping at stores.I order most everything by phone or online.Have used Amsoil products for years.Wix oil filter.The reason for the XL series and not a Amsoil FULL synthetic is that the WARRANTY requires TWO oil changes a year(every 6 months) or 6k OR when the oil change now thing goes off.Factory oil filters have been a pain to remove ever since I can remember on new vehicles.All of these NEW group three synthetics you can buy over the counter can go 6 and 6 easily.3k oil changes are a thing of the past and a waste of oil and money.Back the show!
SAE 5W–20:

Castrol SYNTEC is the first major full synthetic oil brand to offer a 5W–20 that is specifically formulated to meet the needs of Ford, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota 5W–20 service. SYNTEC 5W–20 provides excellent cold weather performance and exceeds the stringent performance, fuel economy and fuel economy retention requirements of the ILSAC GF–4 specification. SYNTEC 5W–20 also exceeds the stringent Ford WSS–M2C930–A and Ford WSS–M2C153–H specifications, and exceeds all the requirements of ILSAC GF–4 and GF–3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils. Exceeds API SM.
Product Description
Mobil 1 5W-20 is a high performance fully synthetic engine oil designed to meet or exceed the industry's toughest standards and outperform all conventional oils. Mobil 1 5W-20 is engineered to help keep your engine running like new and extend engine life. Mobil 1 technology has been selected as original equipment by leading car builders such as Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Dodge Viper, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Dodge Ram.

Features and Benefits
Mobil 1 5W-20 is made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system. The 5W-20 viscosity grade is recommended for many vehicles manufactured by Honda, Ford, and in Chryslers. It is also suitable for use in Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles that required FORD WSS-M2C925A specification. This oil is uniquely designed to provide unsurpassed levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection, while meeting or exceeding the requirements of ILSAC GF-4 performance standards.
Please expand, with links to websites, that show the proof that these oils are not fully synthetic.

Also, give us links to information on group 3 and 4 oils.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

In another words tons of these oils call themselves synthetics and they are NOT in the same league as Amsoil,Redline,Royal Purple,Schaffers etc.which are.Castrol Syntec is a BLEND as is Mobil 1.Mobil EXTENDED mileage is a true form of synthetic.Castrol EDGE is more of a real synthetic then Syntec.They use the term synthetic liberally.REAL synthetics for the most part are NOT sold over the counter.They are ORDER only and offer "extended" drain capability's.wwwbobistheoilguy.com I just feel the general public gets HAD on nomenclature and don't get what they THINK they are buying.

Quick Reply: Oil, change, types