See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil, change, types

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
joe68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone getting ready to do my first oil change. I was wondering if there are torque specifications for the oil drain bolt?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hounddogg
In another words tons of these oils call themselves synthetics and they are NOT in the same league as Amsoil,Redline,Royal Purple,Schaffers etc.which are.Castrol Syntec is a BLEND as is Mobil 1.Mobil EXTENDED mileage is a true form of synthetic.Castrol EDGE is more of a real synthetic then Syntec.They use the term synthetic liberally.REAL synthetics for the most part are NOT sold over the counter.They are ORDER only and offer "extended" drain capability's.wwwbobistheoilguy.com I just feel the general public gets HAD on nomenclature and don't get what they THINK they are buying.
As I already asked you, please show me proof via web links. I want to read anything you can show me.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:54 AM
eaglemike

Originally Posted by hounddogg
In another words tons of these oils call themselves synthetics and they are NOT in the same league as Amsoil,Redline,Royal Purple,Schaffers etc.which are.Castrol Syntec is a BLEND as is Mobil 1.Mobil EXTENDED mileage is a true form of synthetic.Castrol EDGE is more of a real synthetic then Syntec.They use the term synthetic liberally.REAL synthetics for the most part are NOT sold over the counter.They are ORDER only and offer "extended" drain capability's.wwwbobistheoilguy.com I just feel the general public gets HAD on nomenclature and don't get what they THINK they are buying.
Are you aware of bobistheoilguy's realtionship with Amsoil????

Amsoil oversells the performance of their oil. I would not believe them. I have oil test results and measured wear on mechanical parts that proves this - actual objective data. I took some of the parts out of the engine myself. The engine used to belong to a friend.

Oil changes are cheap insurance.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:45 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

The only information I can find on group III and group IV oils comes from other forums. I cannot find anything on a reputable website.

But, either way, whether or not Castrol Syntec and Mobil 1 are in fact a group 3 oil labeled as a synthetic, I still have my oil tested.

I took Castrol Syntec to 6000 miles and it still had added lubricants left in it. For me, I will still use Castrol and Mobil 1 products.

Currently, I am taking conventional Castrol to 5-6000 miles and having it tested. I will post those results as well.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:29 PM
AZDodgeHemi
Amateur

Originally Posted by eaglemike
Are you aware of bobistheoilguy's realtionship with Amsoil????
I wasn't sure what that relationship was until I went to the Amsoil web site, under "Other Links". Pretty blatant why he is so biased, isn't it?

Bob is the Oil Guy Message Board

We are official AMSOIL sponsors of the message board. Lots of information including oil analysis. Discounts given to members of the board.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:07 AM
CarterT1975
Professional

Part of the military incentive program is free maintenance for the 3yr/36000 warranty period. I just need to drop it off and the dealership does the rest.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM
slthemi10
Default Amsoil 0w-20 100% synthetic motor oil

Hey guys, one of my co-worker is trying to get me to use amsoil 100%syn oil. I was reading amsoils website and they claim to only change your oil at 25000miles or 1 yr which ever comes first. Have anybody used and actually believe in this product. Do you follow a yearly change oil?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by slthemi10
Hey guys, one of my co-worker is trying to get me to use amsoil 100%syn oil. I was reading amsoils website and they claim to only change your oil at 25000miles or 1 yr which ever comes first. Have anybody used and actually believe in this product. Do you follow a yearly change oil?
I wouldn't do it. One reason is it is bound to cause trouble if you have a warranty claim w/ you engine and the other is I don't like leaving oil in a vehicle for a year. I know amsoil SSO can go the distance along w/ their filter, but in a newer vehicle which is still being broken in it's a bad idea. Why not just run a group III syn. for reasonable OCI's?

Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
danno5069
Professional

6k kilometers or miles

Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 AM
rmcoastie

Got a 2010 Ram 1500 HEMI just before Thanksgiving. Looking for people’s insight/opinion on when to switch to "Synthetic?" First oil change? 5k? 10k? I Plan on getting it changed at 1500 miles because I feel it is broken in and its also going to see very few miles put on it in the next two months (USCG, sailing off to do the Country’s business after Christmas). Thank You...

Quick Reply: Oil, change, types