Rear air bag coil spring helper

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 PM
madmikesmech
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear air bag coil spring helper

Hello everyone I'm Mike, I've been here lurking In the 2nd Gen forums a bit. Now i have moved to a 2010 4x4 slt quad cab. 5.7 Hemi 5 speed auto great truck!!
I put about 800# in it this weekend and drove about 200 miles each way.
Now just because the way it sits... I believe the P.O. had a leveling kit put in? Not sure how to tell!
Any how when I put my garden tractor (the 800 lb) in the back my 2010 squared so much my wife even commented!!
I drove it at highway speeds, at first it took a bit of getting use to!!! To say the least, *** end away and all when bridge expansion joints were encountered!
Well when I got home I googled 2010 ram 1500 rear helper springs and this , among other things came up

Just wondered if anyone ever used them to help my condition any input, opinions etc very helpfull.
My end result is... I do not want to sacrifice the EXELLENT smooth ride my truck has empty, but I do want to be able to haul my 800 lb tractor, and other items when I want.
Thanks
Michael

Old 04-30-2019, 09:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Air bags are an excellent solution to your issue. There are a fair few folks that produce them... Read reviews on any potential candidates you come up with, and pick the one that has the best reviews.

Another option would be overload springs. Unloaded, they don't do anything at all. But, put some weight in the back, and they come into play.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:37 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

no idea on its longevity. firestone does make a kit that seems ok but costs more.
the kit you posted does install pretty easy.
raise the trunk to expand the springs
squeeze all the air out of the air spring and install the cap
fit it through the spring

Old 04-30-2019, 09:59 AM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Air bags are an excellent solution to your issue. There are a fair few folks that produce them... Read reviews on any potential candidates you come up with, and pick the one that has the best reviews.

Another option would be overload springs. Unloaded, they don't do anything at all. But, put some weight in the back, and they come into play.
Hello HeyYou!!! Thanks for the response. Yes, my initial search WAS for variable rate springs. These airbags popped up, and this company "AirLift" makes overload bags for big log hauling trucks I see alot of them around here in my neck of the woods. A friend works at a BIG truck repair shop and claims airlift makes a good product.
I like the idea of easy install too!!!🤣
Wanted you alls take on this option
Michael

Last edited by madmikesmech; 04-30-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:02 AM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by primem
no idea on its longevity. firestone does make a kit that seems ok but costs more.
the kit you posted does install pretty easy.
raise the trunk to expand the springs
squeeze all the air out of the air spring and install the cap
fit it through the spring
Yeah Primem, the ease of installation is what caught my 👁
Thank you for your input!👍
Michael

Old 04-30-2019, 10:07 AM
madmikesmech
Professional

Found a better suited for me set by same company... at least I believe they may be better for my application, only because they add 1000lb help, the 1st I posted are 2160 lb help. Holy Moly, it would ride like my old hardtail motorcycle!!!��

Opinions on this please & thank you
Michael

Old 04-30-2019, 10:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yeah, it would ride like a truck. You don't have to blow them up to full capacity though... I would expect that the 1000 lb fellers would be adequate to the task for your purposes..... Don't know if the heavier duty units would make for a stiffer ride when partially inflated, vs. the lighter duty guys at full inflation..... I know my truck rides like a friggin' Cadillac with a significant load in the bed....

Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, it would ride like a truck. You don't have to blow them up to full capacity though... I would expect that the 1000 lb fellers would be adequate to the task for your purposes..... Don't know if the heavier duty units would make for a stiffer ride when partially inflated, vs. the lighter duty guys at full inflation..... I know my truck rides like a friggin' Cadillac with a significant load in the bed....
������HeyYou, do I detect a note of sarcasm!!��yes I'll admit I HAVE become that guy I used to make fun of when I had my 2nd gen!!! Its a truck use it like one, you are ABSOLUTELY correct! For the mere $50 price differance, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! Good cal HeyYou
Michael

Last edited by madmikesmech; 04-30-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the only thing I don't like in theory about this style is the constant contact/friction with spring movement. Not sure if they have a shorter or longer life than bags outside the spring...long term testing required. If you could get 5years out of them I would consider that a win.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:36 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Primem, good point! But AirLift offers LIFETIME replacement

Quick Reply: Rear air bag coil spring helper