4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
View Poll Results: 4th-gen forum - split tech and non-tech
Yes - split topics out into two sections
50.00%
No - leave all 4th-gen topics in this section
50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

4th Gen Forum - split apart or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th Gen Forum - split apart or not?

I see that admins are starting to move some 'non-tech' threads into another forum section. I really liked it with all 4th-gen related topics together in one spot. The volume isn't so much that it causes issues to have them together.

I guess I'm wondering what other people who use this forum section think. Would you prefer to keep all tech and non-tech 4th-gen topics in one spot or split them out? If there is a strong consensus one way or the other perhaps we can petition the admins to go that way.

Rob

Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM
HemiRAMV8
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only Dodges I have are 4th gen RAMs. No point me discussing anything else. It's not of interest to me how the brakes are great on an Avenger or how to fit luggage in a Durango. I don't have anything to contribute to vehicles other than the 4th Gen RAM, and I'd rather spend less time looking at what is relevant to me than stuff that is not. If I want other content, I know where to find it.

However, that isn't really relevant to the owners of the site. I expect that their main motivation is to increase the page imprints, and therefore ad impressions, which in turn will increase revenue. Dodge Forum belongs to Internet Brands, which is a commercial concern.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
chrisp929
Professional

sweet jesus .. why do things have to get so complicated .. the ' OTHER FORUM ' of which i also visit does this . its just way to complicated .. KISS ...
for petes sake, there isn't enough movement to bother .. leave it be .. puhlease.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:30 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

I like it NOT SPLIT.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 PM
tombogue09
Captain

Who in the hell voted yes to this, explain yourself LOL. The sub forum sucks. The only time I clicked on it was to post that it sucked.

At least its not as bad as dodge talk....yet.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

It was far to complicated for a newbie to search through the forum when non-tech and tech related stuff was mixed together.

People usually come to the forum for two things... one, they want to hang out with guys who have the same interests (in this case, 4th Generation Rams), or two, they want an answer to a question. The latter is usually more common than the former. They don't care about the pictures of fellow Ram owners, or the cool sounding exhaust system, or the fact that you get XX miles per gallon. They want an answer to their problem.

Technical stuff, like "how do I change my brake pads" needs to be separated from "Look at all this horsepower, I bet the 2nd gen Ram guys are jealous..." no-point-to-them threads, for just that reason. It will attract more members, which will benefit everyone, not just the forum's sponsors/owners. The more combined knowledge we have on here, the more opinions you'll get (or answers) when you ask a question, and you may even get them faster.

Last edited by jasonw; 07-28-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
I see that admins are starting to move some 'non-tech' threads into another forum section. I really liked it with all 4th-gen related topics together in one spot. The volume isn't so much that it causes issues to have them together.

I guess I'm wondering what other people who use this forum section think. Would you prefer to keep all tech and non-tech 4th-gen topics in one spot or split them out? If there is a strong consensus one way or the other perhaps we can petition the admins to go that way.

Rob
Volume isn't as large as other areas, but it will grow very quickly you'll see. Beside's, if we delay moving threads, more and more guys will get used to the same old, samle old. Unfortucately we got it too late in the 3rd Gen area, but it's showing it's use for sure. MUCH easier to find Tech threads and less sorting.
Sorry, but this is something Admin/mods already voted on and it's going to remain put. It allows much more versatility than just one section. They are linked together and make navigation very easy. It's here to stay. i can understand guys needing "adjustment time". It's obviuos nobody like's change, but the longer we delay, the more problems will arise, especially in the 4th Gen section where it's perfect time to begin this.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The so called "split" was done in response to NUMEROUS complaints that members had to read or search through numerous threads like "check out my new girlfriend" posts that were in the technical section.
We have always striven to move such posts to the Off Topic section, only to receive complaints that the member ONLY wanted to share his girlfriends pics with members within his own section. Many members felt "put out" when a completely non-technical thread or a thread that had NOTHING to do with a truck were moved.
So as a compromise, the General Discussion sections were created.

We know that this is not going to make EVERY member happy, but we feel it is the best possible solution for all members.

By all means, if anyone has any constructive input that will be FAIR to everyone, either post an opinion or shoot me a PM. We are always open to any opinion that will make this forum more enjoyable to EVERYONE...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-28-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
myhikingboots
Rookie

Seems like there could be away to have it both ways. I'm not exactly sure how it would work, but it could be done through preferences somehow where members would subscribe to whatever section they are interested in, and when you logon, all of your sections are combined together. And when you post you would be forced to tag it "tech" or "nontech", or whatever.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 PM
War Horse
All Star

A split with just two or three forums wouldn't be bad, just as long as it doesn't get crazy and fragment like that other forum. That place just has too many sub-categories.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Forum - split apart or not?