4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
View Poll Results: 4th-gen forum - split tech and non-tech
Yes - split topics out into two sections
50.00%
No - leave all 4th-gen topics in this section
50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

4th Gen Forum - split apart or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to the mods for the explanations. I don't agree with the direction but at least we know now.

I've been using Internet forums since they were 'bulletin boards' over 1200bps dial-up modems (80's) and in that time what I've learned is that specialized forums tend to lose membership. People don't want to visit a lot of places when they read a forum. They like to be able to go to the one place that contains their peer group and see all the stuff related to them. Maybe it does make searching a little more difficult, but as you get more and more fragmented forum sections people are just going to search at a higher level anyway because they won't know exactly where a question will be answered (will a question on which bedliner to buy be 'general' or 'tech'??). Frankly, I find that search complexity argument flawed. Sure, if something is truly off-topic (i.e. "my new girlfriend" in a 4th-gen forum then that has to go to off-topic. But people want to see all the stuff for their 'life' (which in this case is their one truck model) together. I don't care if it is 'here's my new ride' or 'how does SuperChips do XYZ', it should be in one place.

If the decision is made and won't be changed then so be it. My prediction is that it will harm the forum, not help it. My advice is worth what you paid for it, and since you didn't ask for it I'm sure you won't take it. Oh well, I've said my piece.

Rob

Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 AM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Something needs to be understood about the user base here. The members can be roughly split in half...You have the half that is on here only when they need technical help and the other half that is on here to be part of an online community sharing their same interests. For the individuals needing technical help, this configuration is beneficial... Faster search results, and faster responses. For the others who frequent the site as a hobby, visiting two seperate sub-forums shouldnt be a deterrent. If you're technical and enjoy helping people out, you can visit the tech section and lend a hand.. If you are technically deficient and just enjoy shooting the ****, general discussion is for you..

Last edited by bigred3297; 07-30-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

bigred:

Which of those two halves contributes most to the supply of solid answers to the questions that the other half comes for? And which half drives up page views and, thus, advertising revenue? You say "visiting two seperate sub-forums shouldnt be a deterrent" but what are you basing that judgment on? Experience, or some data from some study, or just on hope that it will help those infrequent users while not harming the regulars 'too much'? I'm basing mine on years of experience where I've personally seen the opposite happen.

Just another 2 cents worth...

Rob

Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 AM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
It was far to complicated for a newbie to search through the forum when non-tech and tech related stuff was mixed together.

People usually come to the forum for two things... one, they want to hang out with guys who have the same interests (in this case, 4th Generation Rams), or two, they want an answer to a question. The latter is usually more common than the former. They don't care about the pictures of fellow Ram owners, or the cool sounding exhaust system, or the fact that you get XX miles per gallon. They want an answer to their problem.

Technical stuff, like "how do I change my brake pads" needs to be separated from "Look at all this horsepower, I bet the 2nd gen Ram guys are jealous..." no-point-to-them threads, for just that reason. It will attract more members, which will benefit everyone, not just the forum's sponsors/owners. The more combined knowledge we have on here, the more opinions you'll get (or answers) when you ask a question, and you may even get them faster.
I think you just shot yourself in the foot (IMHO)

Old 07-29-2010, 09:50 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Kaiser1
I think you just shot yourself in the foot (IMHO)
I think not. Read the explanations I (and the other mods) gave rather than simply thinking "adding a subforum makes this more complicated". Organization may appear to be complication on the surface, but this not complicated guys.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 AM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
bigred:

Which of those two halves contributes most to the supply of solid answers to the questions that the other half comes for? And which half drives up page views and, thus, advertising revenue? You say "visiting two seperate sub-forums shouldnt be a deterrent" but what are you basing that judgment on? Experience, or some data from some study, or just on hope that it will help those infrequent users while not harming the regulars 'too much'? I'm basing mine on years of experience where I've personally seen the opposite happen.

Just another 2 cents worth...

Rob
Which of those two halves contributes most to the supply of solid answers to the questions that the other half comes for? And which half drives up page views and, thus, advertising revenue?

Answers to your first questions cannot be given because real statistics dont exist and you know this...I am basing my opinions on what i have seen go on around here, that is all

You say "visiting two seperate sub-forums shouldnt be a deterrent" but what are you basing that judgment on?

this judgement is based on 1 click......1 click is all it takes for you to visit the general forum if you bookmarked the 4th gen section..1 click has people in here complaining about seperate sub-forums.

Experience, or some data from some study, or just on hope that it will help those infrequent users while not harming the regulars 'too much'?

yup, i have a study completed by _____ University that supports having seperate sub-forums under the 4th gen section....As far as harming the regulars, i want you to stop and think about that...Who is being harmed? Should we call the Cops or EMT?

I'm basing mine on years of experience where I've personally seen the opposite happen.

How to respond to this......maybe i misunderstand what you are saying....
Do you have years of experience visiting forums and therefore believe yourself a subject matter expert....or do you personally run a forum yourself and have conducted all of this testing on your user base?

Now before you reply with what will most likely be a defensive and snippy post, think about this.... How much of a burden is this for anybody? While you are thinking about that, realize that it's already been done and isnt being changed back

Old 07-30-2010, 02:59 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Sounds like you're the man in charge and you don't need any more input then. I was just going by Eric's announcement where he asked for input on making things better:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...ctions-61.html

Originally Posted by ericemery
New subsections
Hi guys, check out the new general discussion subsections in each of your main gen sections.

We are trying to make the site better, if you have any suggestions, please stop by the forum issues and suggestions section to let us know!
Rob

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Forum - split apart or not?