4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

anyone have heated wiper fluid aftr market?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:38 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by we_the_unforgiven
I'd be afraid of spraying hot fluid on the windshield at -15F (or worse). Would seem to me that unless your defrost was putting out some heat too, it would just fog and ice over again.

It might work well in applications where its not quite so cold.
That is what I thought as well, but it must not be a huge issue since they install similiar systems from the factory in a lot of GMs. One of my buddys has a Tahoe with the heated fluid system and he really likes it. Of course being from MN he is probabally smart enough to never spray washer fluid when it gets to be -15F or worse - thats a mistake you ususally only make once hopefully not on the freeway at 70mph

Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Superiormobile
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Hotshot in my GMC 2500HD for 6 years and never had a problem. I have a 2011 Ram 2500HD with the diesel and I not putting one in. It worked good up to -10 and after that the fluid would cool down to much and really did not do anything.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Putting Hot or even Warm fluid on a cold winsdhield will cause it to crack, so the idea of using it for defrosting/melting is a terrible one.

There is such a thing called RainX De-icer in an Orange colored liquid. It's $1 more than the blue stuff and is good down to -25*F. It works awesome in melting ice off the windshield.
There's also RainX in a green and pink colors called Bug Remover that works well on removing slime and bugs.

I use the Orange low temp stuff all the time not only does it work well in low temps, it cleans well and applies RainX to the windshield. I think Prestone even makes a yellow colored low temp fluid as well but doesn't have the efffects of beading water like the RainX product. That blue colored wiper fluid is so generic and out of date I laugh everytime I see it in peoples cars. I never use my wiper blades when using the RainX brand fluid! I don't see torrential rain in NY like FL does but even in heavy rain I never use them!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Let's bring this thread back from the dead and check to see if anyone has installed this aftermarket kit for heating windshield washer fluid or the Dodge one (that splices into the heater hose)?

I'm not interested in any debate about whether this idea is wise or stupid. Just whether anyone has installed either kit and what they experience has been. Was it easy to install? Does it work as advertised?

Thanks!
Rob

Old 01-26-2015, 02:05 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Mods: Could you please move this to the 4th Gen Tech section? It is definitely tech-related and it will get more visibility there. Thanks.

Quick Reply: anyone have heated wiper fluid aftr market?