4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Going To do a bit of painting.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:32 AM
Der Dummkopf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going To do a bit of painting.

Going To do a bit of painting next week on my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500.

First, I'm going to apply Dupli-color's Bed Armor, I've read some good reviews on it. When that Dries, I plan on painting the Mopar Emblem (M) on the bedliner since I don't plan on using it heavily. I bought Chrysle Corporation Blue Engine Enamel for the great mopar blue effect. I just finishe a 3x2 Stencil of the emblem. The only thing is that I have run into a bit of a dilemma. How can I accurately "morph" The stencil into the rips of the bed, This would be simple if the surface were flat. Any tips? I was planning on transfering stencil onto a thin, but stiff, cardboard piece and spraying. But then too, paint could go where I don't want it to.

I am also goin to remove my bumpers and front fascia and paint them stone white. I need a bit of help with the prep work though. My fascia is textured so, I plan on sanding it down with 1000 and the 2000 grit sand paper. Then apply adhesion promoter, primer, paint and clear, sand and rubbing compound. Does that sound right? any tips?

I also ordered window visors, I was thinking of getting them in chrome, but theres a fair amount of chrome already and I don't want my truck to start looking super ugly. So, I went with the smoked visors, I plan on painting them the body color too.

So basically, I need painting tips. I have attempted my xbox 360 and it was successful. I have also tinted my taillights and they look amazing. The paint I plan on using is Perfect Match by Duplicolor. Please help me.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like quite the job. I'd definitely like to see some pictures once you get this all completed. The M in the bed sounds like a cool idea.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 AM
ripplek
Rookie
Default Going To do a bit of painting.

Should look nice. From experience, I'd rethink the Dupli-color for the front bumper & fascia. That paint is lacquer based. The auto industry quit using it years ago for several reasons. It cracks and chips easily, especially on flexible plastics, fades in direct sunlight pretty fast if you don't keep it waxed, and you won't quite get the same gloss you would with the base/clearcoat. Since the bumper & fascia take on the full force of everything thats nasty going down the hwy, You'd do better having your front end done in something other than lacquer.

Last edited by ripplek; 03-22-2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Der Dummkopf
Professional

@Ripplek
So, how do I mimic the Stone white? I was only planning on using it because its the only company that sells "oem" style aerosol paint.

So far I've bought adhesion promoter, sand paper, tape, Kraft Paper. What do you recomend?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Spray Paint

Check with your local auto body/paint supply store. The one near me will mix up spray cans of any color you want. They should have the code for the Factory Stone White. If you get it mixed right before you spray they can even mix in hardener for you. Might be worth a look.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
72combo
Champion

Sounds cool to me.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Der Dummkopf
Professional

Here is just a bit of an update. I finished painting the bedliner today. Removed the bumpers yesterday. Painted the Grille, and painted the window visors. I should reassemble tommorow after bumpers dry.

Name:  untitled44.png
Views: 27
Size:  572.8 KB

Old 03-30-2011, 03:47 PM
metroworks

I like what you did with the grill. Subtle but I think it will look nice once installed.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM
badjojo13
Professional

can't wait to see the end result. a somewhat sport all white st...
I am sure it will be a 1000 times better then the grey bumper

Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Der Dummkopf
Professional

My intentions were to get rid of as much black as I could.

So I noticed, while inspecting my truck, that the plastic under the antenna is not black anymore, its like gren from sundamage. Is there anywhat I can remove it and paint it?

Quick Reply: Going To do a bit of painting.