4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New to the ram club

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:57 AM
zeeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the ram club

Hey gang,

I just bought a Ram, had to go base though because I spent all my cash on another luxury. Anyhow, I really wanted a Sport, couldn't get one so I'm stuck with an ST that I want to turn into a sport. I'm looking for some people that have a lot of knowledge about stuff and I apologize in advance for all the questions

First, what is the difference with the bumpers. I know the Sport bumper is one piece, where every other model is the 2 piece on the front, from just observation though, it looks as though the sport bumper is the same fit...maybe it just needs to be rigged differently to connect to the body?

On the rear bumper, I didn't see any difference at all...?

Is the mopar body kit for sports just a ground fx add on?

The mopar sport hood, does anyone have it and does it work with both the regular grill and the sport grill? I am debating on changing out the grill if it works, but I prefer the honeycomb over the slats so I am thinking about stripping the chrome and painting it body color. Also does the mopar painted hood shield fit on the sport hood?

I was also unfortunate and wasn't able to get a hemi on this particular ram, so I'm stuck with the 4.7. I can't compare the underbody to the hemi, but I noticed dual exhaust options from aftermarket and mopar as well are all for the 5.7...is there anything out there that works for the 4.7 to give the factory dual exhaust look and tip placement for the dual exhaust rear bumper?

What's your guys' opinions on the mopar bed rug...I didn't get a bedliner so I have some options. I didn't want to go permanent just in case something pops up in the future, or I want to change something out, but I was thinking the plastic one first...but it seems they move around alot and rust out the bed, etc, so I looked at the spray-in's, but from what I read the install first requires removing all the factory paint in the bed to bare metal so it adheres to it, and being its not as thick I read its easier to scratch, etc.

So I found the bed rug. This looked like a good solution to me, just some sticky glue and its soft and not too thick and not too thin. I am buying a combo package so it will also have the fiberglass top on it. I'll be using the bed primarily as a trunk when I'm spending time on my other "luxury" :P So not looking at hauling like rocks or dirt or anything messy, well as far as I know but you know how that goes.

Ok and hopefully there's a mygig expert on here. I want to throw a mygig in there, had one since 2008 and loved it, normal radios just suck now Anyway, I heard from a dealer that there is a new bus system in the 2011 models and moving forward, where the older version, REN/RBZ/RER, etc will not work anymore...can anyone confirm this? Didn't want to buy a brand new one from the dealer but if I have to then it is what it is. Thanks for any info!

-Z

Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 AM
Der Dummkopf
Professional

First of all, welcome.

So, I have actually under went something similar to what you want. I actually wrote a post in which I specifically talk about all the mods I have done to my ST. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...mods-pics.html

I preped and painted my bumpers to look like a sport. In my opinion it is better to go this route to to the fact that it is cheaper and the bumpers you already have is more durable to the fiberglass they use in the sport bumper.

But, if you do want to convert to the sport bumper its going to be uber expensive. The sport bumper is not simply plug and play. You have to alter the frame it mounts onto (or something like that). Tthen on top of that you have to buy fog light housing, the wiring, the control board, paint, and all the little bits. It just nickel and dimes you. And since your low on cash prob not the route you want to take. It cost me about $100 to paint my bumpers (and borrowed equipment from buddy of mine) and elbow grease.

The rear bumper is exactly the same on the sport and ST it just needs paint.

If you want I can supply more photos of my ST.

I painted mine body color and it honestly looks great!

The hoods are exactly the same form, so yes the bug sheild fits the hood.

As for the bed liner, I went with Bed Armor. Its really good. It just takes a lot of prep time but it comes out really nice. It only $80 when compared to a bedliners/rug $400!!! And you dont have to strip the bed to the bare metal, all you have to do is scuff it with a 3M bright pad (or 2000 grit sand paper as i did). This set is actually paint on. and easy to use. you tube it. I haven't experienced and scratching, but if you do scratch it, Its as simple as busting out the left over paint you have in the garage and mending it.

If you have any other Questions PM me or just ask.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 AM
zeeman

Thanks for the reply! Very helpful. I was hoping the sport bumpers were just plug and play so to speak, but thats not the case...I also wanted to go with the factory oem fogs, the mopar kit has the proper wiring just the wrong fog lamps, so would it make more sense to get a SLT or Laramie bumper that has the fogs for the front and just paint that? Also was it hard to deal with that upper fascia part that is the black plastic color that's like textured?

The rear I am waiting for someone to chime in, because if there is no chance to have dual outs in the rear then I don't need to change the rear bumper especially if they don't line up, that would just look silly

I don't mind spending money on mods, it's just the price I paid for my ST was 24K out the door including tax, and the dealer that sold it to me had no sport, other dealers that did have sports wouldn't give it to me lower than 36K! I don't have that much extra cash per month for a car payment :P But I figured the money I'm saving on the ST I can use towards more mods...it does though just sound like the front bumper is going to be a pain.

Still not sure about the bed liner...I'm really liking the bed rug...Unfortunately I'm not gifted at painting, so I would have to pay someone for a spray in and they are all around $400ish...so I figured if I'm spending $400 on a spray in, I'd rather spend $400 on something that I can remove if I don't like it...thanks though appreciate the comments!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Der Dummkopf
Professional

I wanted to get the bumper with the fog lights also. Basically, you would have to switch the bracket over to the new bumper and mount. It’s fairly straight forward.

But, you would have to get the fog housing at the dealership. If they ask for your vin, don't give them yours. Give them a vin of a truck that already has fogs. Besides that you will need wiring and control board. Then the dealer has to flash your computer.

I would recommend taking this path simply because its not as expensive. You can sell your current bumper to make up for any spending. Just don't sell the bracket. lol

It wasn't hard at all to deal with the upper fascia. All you have to do is sand it down really good. I started with 400 grit and worked my way up. That got rid of the texture. Though, this definitely take a lot of elbow grease.

Last edited by Der Dummkopf; 04-14-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
zeeman

Ah you are right...I was planning on getting the fog lamps off like ebay or whatever, they seem pretty cheap, then get the mopar kit and take it to my dealer :P They will install whatever for $100 flat rate and sell the useless fogs the kit comes with. Did you paint your bumpers on the truck or off? My uncle does body work and charges me next to nothing, so I'm figuring out if I do get new bumpers, do I have dealer put them on and then have uncle paint or uncle paint then dealer put them on...decisions decisions lol

Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Der Dummkopf
Professional

Well, if you're handy with a wrench I would say do it your self. Thoug you do have to remove the grille, headlights, upper fasia, fascia supports then the bumper itself. Just have a buddy help you get the bumpers of the car.

I painted the bumpers of of the car to get even coverage and to avoid over spray.

Check this link to get any ideas if you haven't already.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-...mods-pics.html

Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 PM
zeeman

Yeah I checked your link, that's what got me into trouble lol - you did a great job though. I'm going to attempt to pick up a fog light bumper off ebay, so that should help me start. Hopefully someone can chime in about exhaust or if anyone has done exhaust on their 4.7's...so I know if should look for a new rear bumper as well. Thanks again for the help Der!

Quick Reply: New to the ram club