4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2010 TRX4 - front bumper rust spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Rick Lottman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an accident with my 2011 and they replaced the bumper. Approximately 2 weeks after replacing it, it started with the rust spots as well. My bodyshop owner was telling me that the majority of the automotive companies are getting thier chrome and painted steel products from China. The chrome is supposed to be triple plated, but they are finding out that the supplier only double, and in some cases, single plated the bumper. DODGE IS VERY AWARE OF THIS BUT WON'T ADMIT TO IT!! So, you must be very persistent with them in getting it covered under the 5 year, 100,000 miles rust warranty. Check your owners manual, it's all in there!! P.S. The bumper that they replaced the damaged one with was an OEM bumper. Not an aftermarket one. It got sent right back to the dealer....

Last edited by Rick Lottman; 05-11-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: more to add
Old 05-12-2011, 12:31 AM
DodgeNweave
Amateur

I have the exact same truck, blue/grey TRX4. Tons of rust spots on the front bumper. Dealership said "look its obviously rock chips!" and in slightly nicer words, told me to go F myself. Chrysler Warranty Group told me they stand by their managers decisions.
So I have pretty much lost hope with them. Going to coat bumpers and rocker panels with Als liner I guess.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM
charv66

Originally Posted by DodgeNweave
I have the exact same truck, blue/grey TRX4. Tons of rust spots on the front bumper. Dealership said "look its obviously rock chips!" and in slightly nicer words, told me to go F myself. Chrysler Warranty Group told me they stand by their managers decisions.
So I have pretty much lost hope with them. Going to coat bumpers and rocker panels with Als liner I guess.

My ServMng said the same thing. He even suggested I have been following gravel trucks too much. I asked him to not insult my intelligence. The two tow hooks have no spots on them and they are steel! How can we stand for this?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 AM
broken08
Amateur
Default me too

my 2010 TRX4 has the same rust spots. Did anyone get this done under warranty? any updates? solutions?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 AM
BullyT
Professional

A friend of mine works at the dealership where I bought my 2009 Ram (chrome bumpers) and he said it was unlikely they would replace my bumber due to small rust spots. If they did, the replacement bumper would likely do the same thing--common problem. He was not being negative, just honest.

I've been in the metal finishing industry my entire working life, and what has worked for me in the past is to clean the metal surface with a chrome polish, buff it (manually), and then apply two separate coats of a "once-a-year" polymer wax. The rusting is caused by tiny pores in the plated surface, and when you apply the wax it seals the pores. It is surprisingly durable. Yes, it shouldn't be necessary but if you can't get the bumper replaced, or it's the same crap, then cleaning and waxing maybe twice a year is a good inexpensive option.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 PM
ram15002011

i had the same rust spots appearing on my chrome bumpers on my 2011 1500, my solution was get rid of the chrome all together. I painted both my chrome bumpers black to go with the truck. The rust spots do come off if you work at them with a brush, i took both bumpers off to paint them and was able to remove all the rust spots before i painted the bumper. My dealership wouldn't replace the bumpers so i simply found my own way to deal with it, plus i knew if the stealership did replace them i would just get rust spots again.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:02 PM
SolarPLEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
This CAN be and IS normal and it appears it's not just a Ram or even Dodge issue. Lots of Ford owners are complaining of the same thing, haven't noticed it so much with GM owners, YET. Normal doesn't mean it's right, just means it's along the average of all the others produced.

I'm wondering if these bumpers or at least the finish work is sub'd out and possibly even coming from the same vendor(s).

In this day and age EVERYTHING comes from low bids and obviously, the less expense you have in an item, the lower you can bid it out. Less time in a chroming tank means less chrome material is used and you can put out more product faster. I suspect this is the issue with not just bumpers but ALL "cheap chrome" that pits and rusts so easily today.

I've not seen where Ford owners with painted bumpers are complaining, but the Ram boys sure are. Same principle here though, less paint, less cost, faster production.

It seems a shame that costs and quality has to be shaved so much on a $40k+ truck, but it's obvious that it does. The sad thing is if you get them to replace it under warranty, you are gonna get the same sh*t. I hate to say it, but I think if you want a lasting finish, you probably need to reserve yourself to the fact that you need to re-do it yourself or choose a higher quality aftermarket product...
My bosses denali truck has rust chips.

Anyone with a painting back ground could mix up some plastidip to the factory grey and paint the bumper??? then you could give it some protection and re do it every couple of years cheaper then factory painting. that 3m clear paint film ive head it ridiculous expensive to get installed.

also if you have chrome bumpers mothers chrome polish removes the rust bleeding off the chrome like magic, i do my hitch ball with it every spring and it completely removes the rust bleeding and colors the steel where the chrome is missing dark.

Last edited by SolarPLEX; 08-02-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 PM
gmpenn

Originally Posted by charv66
Brought my 2010 Ram (23Kms) to the dealer today to show apx 60 small specs all over the front bumber with rust on every one of them. Bumper is all painted steel, not impressed. Service Manager took bunch of pics, sent me home. WTH is the bumper not plastic? Is a clear coat of paint going to suffice?
I have the same problem with my 2009 trx 4 offroad, I contacted Dodge who had me go to the dealer for pictures they sent them to Dodge witch inturn said it was due to external sources and therefore is not covered but if you have a chrome bumper with rust problems there has been
a recall on them. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA

Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM
gmpenn

chech the NHTSA website there has been a recall on the chrome bumper

Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 PM
gmpenn

Originally Posted by BullyT
A friend of mine works at the dealership where I bought my 2009 Ram (chrome bumpers) and he said it was unlikely they would replace my bumber due to small rust spots. If they did, the replacement bumper would likely do the same thing--common problem. He was not being negative, just honest.

I've been in the metal finishing industry my entire working life, and what has worked for me in the past is to clean the metal surface with a chrome polish, buff it (manually), and then apply two separate coats of a "once-a-year" polymer wax. The rusting is caused by tiny pores in the plated surface, and when you apply the wax it seals the pores. It is surprisingly durable. Yes, it shouldn't be necessary but if you can't get the bumper replaced, or it's the same crap, then cleaning and waxing maybe twice a year is a good inexpensive option.
check the NHTSA website there has been a recall on the 2009 Ram chrome bumper

Quick Reply: 2010 TRX4 - front bumper rust spots