4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Airlift 1000 or Firestone Ride-Rite

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My airlift bags do not lose pressure at all. I put 15 psi in them and they have been there for 2 months now without losing a bit.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beads159
I put the Airlift on a couple weeks ago. Love it. I had Firestone kit on my 2000 2500 and it worked great but did lose pressure slowly.
You must not have seated the lines into the connectors correctly or there is a line that has pressure on the connector.

Originally Posted by jayman84
My airlift bags do not lose pressure at all. I put 15 psi in them and they have been there for 2 months now without losing a bit.
Ditto. I put 20lbs of air in my bags October 2011 just before winter. On May 1st 2012 I still had 20lbs in them! The truck sat all winter and I still had the air in them. Bags have been on for 3+yrs and never had any issues with air loss.

I have the Arnott systems but dont think they make it anymore for Dodge. Hellwig has the EXACT same kit. I'm pretty sure it's a rebranded Arnott kit and they bought sole rights to it or something?? Same brackets, same hardware, and same Contitech Goodyear bags! This airbag kit is more for non lifted trucks as it rests between fram and axle. The other kits mount on the leafspring perch and run the the frame so you could make adjustments on those. I like mine though, they are completely hidden and dont require frame drilling or welding! Easy-on, easy-off. Only thing is that I paid $225 and Hellwig charges $320??? They are the ONLY bagd rated for 5,000lbs on a 1500 though.
I'm not sure if Arnott stoppd making them because 2009's have a different rear end set-up or why that is? Here' what mine looks like.

Name:  DSCI0561.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  200.7 KB

Last edited by dirtydog; 05-10-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 PM
nbrion1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pic. Thanks for sharing. I was like.... where's your exhaust... I see the rubber hanger mounts still there, then I looked at your sig pic. Nice, out the side.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 PM
rickabev

I don't know if it is just my experience, but I bought the airlift 1000's and didn't notice a bit of difference in sag with a load compared to stock. I even went beyond the recommended psi but still made no difference. I just purchased the total load control system and will be putting it on this weekend and I'm sure it'll make a much better difference then the airlift ones. I have airlift bags on my Tacoma and they are great. Not sure why they can't make something similar for our Rams... BTW, the pic above is not a 2009-present because it has leaf springs. The newer ones have coil springs and that's why it's a bitch finding any reasonable air bag....

Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM
nbrion1
Rookie

Well, finally... got the airlift and onboard compressor installed today. The worst part is figuring out where to mount the compressor. Can't tow/haul anything yet, until I put some more break-in miles on the new rear differential. Can't wait to really test it!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickabev
I don't know if it is just my experience, but I bought the airlift 1000's and didn't notice a bit of difference in sag with a load compared to stock. I even went beyond the recommended psi but still made no difference. I just purchased the total load control system and will be putting it on this weekend and I'm sure it'll make a much better difference then the airlift ones. I have airlift bags on my Tacoma and they are great. Not sure why they can't make something similar for our Rams... BTW, the pic above is not a 2009-present because it has leaf springs. The newer ones have coil springs and that's why it's a bitch finding any reasonable air bag....
Don't try to fool yourself. Even with bags it will still sag but not nearly as bad as if you didn't have them. A true test to see how much they help you is to inflate them to 30 psi and then put a load on the truck, then you simply let the air out of the bags and watch how far the back end falls without them helping. You will be surprised. Also realize that bags will not help much if you are overloading your truck, they are made for stock payloads. I have been toying with the idea of going to a full air suspension on the rear but I don't like firestones setup and I think kelderman has stopped making their kit for our trucks.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Dunn Brave

Ran Firestone rideRite in my 89 to 99 (just under 500,000 miles with 30 ft Jayco Eagle (tounge 890 lbs) Ext cab long box. always keep 10 lbs in bags,, 50 if your going on hoist, and 80 lbs while towing.. only issues were stem valves,, not the bags and I'm in northern Ontario.. sold with truck,, put Firestones on new 99 and ran till 2012 on GMC ext cab with 276,000 and sold with truck.. only issue again was valves leaking (probable cause ice or dirt when charging them up) never a bag leak.. and these trucks worked... cheers

Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Usmc Mopar
Amateur
Default found this on the Kelderman website

Originally Posted by jayman84
Don't try to fool yourself. Even with bags it will still sag but not nearly as bad as if you didn't have them. A true test to see how much they help you is to inflate them to 30 psi and then put a load on the truck, then you simply let the air out of the bags and watch how far the back end falls without them helping. You will be surprised. Also realize that bags will not help much if you are overloading your truck, they are made for stock payloads. I have been toying with the idea of going to a full air suspension on the rear but I don't like firestones setup and I think kelderman has stopped making their kit for our trucks.
Jayman,

I found this on the Kelderman website: http://kelderman.com/dodge_ram_1500_...air_suspension

The only thing I don't like about a air replacement system is that it replaces the coils from the truck so if the bags go bad then you wouldn't have the coils there as a backup.

I will be buying a system soon but cant decide on which to go with......Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply and provide us with your info and experiences

Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

I installed mine about 2 weeks ago , 7500
# TT. And about 850 in tongue weight
Made a huge difference with using T 1000 and equalizer. Hitch.
Really set good hardly no bounce

Noticed them on driving regular Roth 5 #s in them they ride good

Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air Lift 1000, best bang for the buck, and they last...!

Quick Reply: Airlift 1000 or Firestone Ride-Rite