4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

End of an Era?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 AM
10RAMSPORT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of an Era?

Do you guys agree with this? I don't, I will always have a pickup!

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...d=family-autos

Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM
bamataco
Veteran

I believe when the economy turns around this will change with it. But like you I will always drive a pickup.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:22 PM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned a Dodge pickup since the day I could drive. Over 30 years ago.
I can say I will always drive a truck, but it is true, you just never know. Will I need a truck when I am 70 years old. Probably not. You will see more of the smaller European type trucks coming I think. They had mini vans in Europe way before we did. Have you seen those little Ford transits? Like they have in Europe! They will have to pass the crash and emissions but I think the little turbo diesels are coming too. FIAT may influence this as well. Maybe the time for a smaller pickup with better mileage is needed. The Dakota just doesn't get any better mileage than my full size does, so why bother. But for now a Full size Ram truck is what I will be driving for most of my daily duties.
I see a lot changing with the younger generations. They are being fed all the eco friendly stuff in school and college now. So maybe they will want trucks less as a daily driver. Kind of like they are getting away form driving Suburbans. However pickups are a needed item for many businesses, and trades. So they will live on, no matter what. Long live the Ram!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
dmusika

McAlinden said he expects pickups' market share will likely remain at around 10% of total vehicle sales in the future, as tradesmen, businesses, farmers and ranchers, and the hard-core pickup lover who needs a vehicle to feed his ego or tow his adult toys around (boat, horse or snowmobile trailer), will remain loyal to them.
I think the vast majority of readers of this site will fall into this category. I think what the report says is true for the most part. Gas prices are never going back down and will continue to rise. Lets face it, these trucks are gas pigs. MDS does little to improve it. A new six (or eight) speed tranny wont help THAT much. Sure the designers will continue to make them a little more efficient in the future so will every other car out there. I think that the market share will inevitably drop.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold a 05 Ram Sport 4x4 in 08 for a 02 TA Collectors Edition. My thought was have some fun in a quick car and save gas. Well in the end I liked driving a truck everyday, so in 09 I ordered my current truck. The only thing I would consider dumping the truck for would be a Jeep Wrangler.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The author is obviously a city-dwelling condo-freak.

I do not drive my truck for fuel mileage (Although, I cannot complain about it).

I drive it for the utility, versatility and to be the biggest MF if someone decides to pass headon into me. If I could afford another 3 tons, I'd throw it under me! When you must drive the highway that links us, to the rest of the world, and you put your name on the list of "We might be dead in 4 hours...", you use every cold, biased, prejudiced way to ensure you are going to win that head-on. Granted, a tractor and trailer will win, but there aren't too many trucks on the road that have a weight advantage against my MC.

Trucks will be a fixture of the North American automotive industry for our generation, and generations in the future!

Last edited by Cthulhu; 06-13-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Wahrsuul
Amateur

I agree with the article mostly. I drive a truck for the utility, and the looks and I have a bike for most of my commuting. But the majority of people that buy "consumer level" trucks don't NEED them, or could get by with something smaller. I could get by with a smaller truck, but they didn't get any better mileage, so why not get the bigger model? trucks will be around for a while, but I don't see their sales of the full size models ever being what they used to be. Unless someone finds a way to make cheap, plentiful fuel.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I find that article a little hard to believe. As more and more baby boomers retire trucks are what they use to pull rv's. The guys I know all have trucks and one friend who dosen't need a truck any more and bought a Buick couldn't stand living with out a truck. Bought a used super clean 80,000 mile loaded Dodge V10. Loves it! Said he just had to have. Likes driving it better then his LeSabre.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Frank Byrt needs to come to south Georgia, where there is at least one full size pickup in well over 90% of peoples driveways. Maybe he'd change his opinion, LOL...

Old 06-14-2011, 01:00 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the article simply demonstrates to me the growing social divide in this country..

when the big city elite fail due to their greed and opulent yet unsustainable living conditions, all the remainder of the country all of the sudden won't look so stupid.

we've another economic crash coming, though many would argue the first one never stopped.. there will be a time when the arrogance of the elite (such as the author of that article) start interviewing 'good ol' boys' with the intent on sharing 'tricks to frugal living by doing things for yourself'...

In most cases, like- in likely 95% of cases, folks who are interested in owning a utility vehicle which serves more purposes than transport from point A to point B are the same demographic who attempt to be self sufficient and self-reliant..

THAT, is the part the writer left out..