4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

End of an Era?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Geawiel
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Frank Byrt needs to come to south Georgia, where there is at least one full size pickup in well over 90% of peoples driveways. Maybe he'd change his opinion, LOL...
Its the same way here in eastern Washington state. This is a HEAVY fullsize truck area, especially Rams. We get dumped on for snow in the winter and there is a lot of outdoors to be explored out here. Lots of farms, livestock and the like as well. I don't see full size trucks going away completely and the article reeks of a person that has never set foot outside the concrete jungle.

As for me, I'll always have a full size truck. I liked the Colorado I had but, after having the Ram, I'll never get another midsize truck (the Colorado had WORSE milage then the ram and for the added bonus of less HP and hauling capability.) I'm also a tall guy and I can't fit into one of those small cars...hell, I even have trouble in large cars.

Many also argue, "why not drive a car as a get around vehicle and use the truck when needed." Here's the problem for me and, likely a good amount of others. I can't pay 2 car payments. I'm also not going to pay insurance on another vehicle just so I can save a little money at the pump, which would likely be offset to going negative when you add up the car payment and insurance. A lot of these guys spout off the rhetoric blasting those of us that drive a truck every day. Yet, they don't seem to think about what they're saying and why we stick with one vehicle.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 AM
bamataco
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about this and the bad economy has people holding on to their present pickup trucks. So this pencil neck thinks that people don't want pickups any more. he will be proven wrong as soon as the economy turns around. And people start replacing their present pickups with new ones.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 AM
LU229
Banned

From the Article:
Ford is alone among the three big automakers that avoided bankruptcy reorganization in 2009, and it didn't get a government bailout, as did the others.[quote]

And people S-T-I-L-L think ford didnt accept any goverment bailout money.
But ford didnt have a problem collecting goverment checks with "cash for clunkers" on it, now did they...!!!!
The guy that wrote that article needs to stop breathing, he`s using valuable oxygen that worthy people need.
I`ve owned trucks all my life, i will die owning a truck...! Can a TOYOTA PRIUS tow a boat or a camper...???? I guess NOT...!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM
jram99
Veteran

To me, trucks are like pocket knives, everyone should have one just incase it's needed. I think you can be a truck guy but don't think you have to drive one everyday because you are. I prefer pickups over cars plain and simple but I'd drive a nice SUV back and forth to work or on vacation or whenever as long as I had my pickup when it was time to help the kids move, bring home that big screen tv, haul that deer blind to the ranch or feed or bring that field dressed buck back home. I really hate putting dressed game inside my vehicle but have had to do it when I only had a ramcharger. I do drive my truck as my daily driver but I work from home 3-4 days a week so it basically just gets driven on weekends and Mondays. Actually, if fewer people are buying new trucks that may be a good thing for those of us who will always have one. Maybe as demand goes down so will the prices. Jeff.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 AM
CaptObvious75

Trucks will always be around, espicially up here in Canada where we have a daily use for them in snow 4 months out of the year.

I think what will be gone though, is the constant use of BIG pickups or V8s. Ford has a nice V6 making over 300hp... which is more than suitable for a DD pickup. Also, the V6 Ecoboost is a good start in the right direction...8 speed trannys are on the way for Dodge last I heard, so hopefully a few MPGs to be made there. Maybe DI might make it into Hemis... another few MPGs too as well.

I just wished someone would make a small truck with some effort like they have been with small cars. Ford's F-100 looks awesome, but word is it's not coming to US/Canada. And the Toyota Tacoma is far too expensive... might as well buy a full pickup for the price. The GMC Canyon is nice on the outside, but rides a 4 speed tranny (wtf GM) and has the interior of a Cavalier.

Last edited by CaptObvious75; 06-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

If the Auto Industry wants to keep their sales, then they will have to adjust with the price of fuel. My buddy has a 2010 2500 gasser and it costs him 110 to fill up. Not very many people will want to fill a 25-35 gallon tank when the gas prices are $5.00 USD/Gal. I agree that people will ALWAYS have trucks that need them, but a lot of folks will sway to a different type of vehicle if the MPG doesn't get better.

I also know that most people do not get trucks because of their amazingly superior gas mileage, my Durango probably gets the same mileage as one of your HEMIs, if not worse. The auto industry needs to get their heads out of their asses and start implementing new technology to make things more efficient. We all know that nobody will make a forward move with ANYTHING unless another manufacturer either talks about doing it, or actually does it. Lately it seems that Dodge has only came out with an 8 spd transmission, and MDS, Ford has came out with an Ecoboost engine for a pickup truck, that can do as good as any other V8. They have the Auto parking assist, (seems stupid to me) Inflatable seat belts, That electronic aerodynamic controller for the Focus. I just think that everybody needs to make changes for the better instead of making up some junk that they think people might want. In the times we live in, we want better MPGs, not a better Uconnect, Sync, or OnStar.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 AM
MrCrash
Veteran

I've always driven a truck. However, I don't "need" a truck. If I could convince myself to drive a car, I'd probably end up in something like a Challenger or a Mustang. Thankfully Dodge offers 90% of the fun of one of those cars in a package that gets completely ignored by the police. Until I can find a vehicle that offers the right combination of mileage and fun, my truck will be sticking around.

Last edited by MrCrash; 06-19-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:05 PM
jeman022004

I am definitely one of those that doesn't need a truck, but wants/prefers one. I do use it for home improvements and trips to the dump, but could definitely survive without one. My in-laws live in the Buffalo, NY area, so the 4WD comes in handy around the holidays...

I commute to DC and look at the extra $$ spent on gas as a form of life insurance. It gives me a little more protection against those that are in such a hurry to get to work (one thing I will never understand...). I am never in a hurry to get to work, but getting home is another story. I would rather be alive with a little less coin in the bank than 6-feet under from trying to save $$$ by driving a smartcar! Another thing I do to offset the extra $$ on fuel is to try to do as many home improvement projects myself as I can. I recently changed out my kitchen floor after getting some quotes from contractors. I saved somewhere between $2500 - $3000. I know I could have the materials delivered, but it is much more convenient doing things on my own time/schedule. Switching over to a car would take a decent amount of time to recoup that price.

-Just my .02