4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Finished my hid reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM
ohioman911
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm hovering over the "buy it" button for these lights. Can I ask where you mounted the ballast on each side?

Thanks again!

Joe

Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 PM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohioman911
I'm hovering over the "buy it" button for these lights. Can I ask where you mounted the ballast on each side?

Thanks again!

Joe
Just do it!! Your gonna be backing up everywhere once you get them in. hehe

Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 PM
ohioman911
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the quick reply!

And the photo. May do it. Still no heat problems? I live here in Florida, so I'd hate to melt the stock housings.

Regards,

Joe

Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

that pretty cool. i would have never thought of HID back up lights. might have to see if they make some for my truck. as far as heat go i don't think they should get that hot even if you left them on. they are only 15W. i think the big thing that makes being able to see better is the color of the light.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OhioMan....if you order this kit that Interpunx and I have it won't get as hott as a normal HID since these are only 15W kit's opposed to a 35/55W kit. So I highly doubt you'll have any issues....I added a switch to manually turn them on for those a-hole tailgaters today and after leaving them on for two minutes (it was 65* in the dirty jersey today)they weren't hott. Hell I am running 55W HID fog lights in the stock housing and zero overheating issues...

Interpunx now it's time to add an inline switch for those HID reverse lights. I see you screwed your ballast in...I went w/ outdoor double sided tape and it lasted all winter w/ zero issues of falling off.

Here are some pics of the switch...

T-TAP back by the spare tire (you'll see the wiring loom that runs to the tail light) the power wire for reverse lights in white w/ red stripe. So I T-Tapped right into that...

IMAG0352 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

Ran an inline fuse since I am drawing power directly from the battery (until I can find which wire is my power seat wire to tap into that instead)

IMAG0351 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

Ran the wires up underneath the seat...

IMAG0350 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

Switch location...

IMAG0348 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

Just some random shots of my lights at night...

Untitled by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

Last edited by Mikeyyy816; 03-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 PM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the heat issue i got this quote off the Lumens site about 35W hids.
This arc of electricity ignites the Xenon gas in the bulb, and in turn creates an intense light source similar to that of the Sun. Because the light is created by an arc of electricity, and not from 'burning' a filament, the heat created by the light is substantially less than that of a standard halogen bulb.
http://www.lumenshid.com/conv_kits.html
They figure Hid's run about 60% less hot than halogen bulbs, so for whoever says they run hotter, that's not true.

NIce setup Mikey, i know it was super nice here today where i am, it's about time kind of excited to do stuff outside without freezing your ***** off. I already have 2 vision x led pod lights setup close to the hitch like you see on my previous pictures, I got those setup on a switch or when i throw it in reverse, those are bright as hell, way brighter than the hid reverse. I haven't had the chance to blind someone yet but still waiting for that moron to drive with their highbeams on.

The 2 pod lights shine nice and far so i can see with my tinted windows very easily, but i did notice the hid reverse lights (in recon taillights) shine nice and wide on each side of the truck, which cover pretty much what the pods are not illuminating, so it's the perfect combo, and let's everyone know to "watch the f*ck out i'm backing up". Now just gotta see how long they go without burning out, time will tell.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^the weather is getting nice!! I'm loving it. Yea those little POD lights you have do look pretty effin sweet!! See I don't wait for the moron w/ the high beams that's why I have 5% limo tint :-D... some of the arrogant **** heads (i'll be doing 80 in a 65 and they'll come up in there mercedes flashing there headlights) and I just laugh bc it doesn't bother me w/ my tint! So these HID's will solve that issue..now I don't have to open my rear window and give them the big FU!

Quick Reply: Finished my hid reverse lights