4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dynomax VT new Option for us???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 02:31 AM
xsparta11x
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynomax VT new Option for us???

Hey everyone. I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab TRX4 with the 5.7L. I currently have the factory single out exhaust system. I have been looking to upgrade the exhaust system to something better then what I have, but I do not want any drone. I had a 2005 dodge ram with the 4.7L and Had a FlowMasters 50 series on it. That was fun to drive, but Not to fun on trips with the drone. I have also a heard nightmares about tone differences when the engine drops from 8-4-8 cylinders. I have been doing a lot of research and need some help. I want something loud when I step on it, but during normal driving, not to much. I was thinking that the factory dual setup was about the only thing I could do. I saw on the home page of the Dodge Forum
site that Dynomax has a new VT series muffler out that is suppose to be awesome. The 1st gens of theses mufflers I know had a really bad rattle problem, but apparently they fixed it by changing the angle of the valve. The question is, is anyone running this muffler? If so, how does it sound with the 5.7L? How is the Cylinder drop off? And, any performance increase? I am open to any and all opinions. Thanks

Here is a link to the DynoMax VT Page
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 PM
ridem high
Veteran

Seems to be awsome!Quite when you want it to be,loud when you tromp on it........I like the idea of the flapper valve.Looks like it is controlled by the exaust flow.....The more compression leaving the engine,the more the flap opens,and the louder it becomes.Smart thinking if you ask me....The only problem I see could occur would be the spring losing tension,due to the heat....

Old 07-24-2011, 03:32 AM
xsparta11x
Professional

That is what I was thinking, Hopefully they made the spring out of like a carbon based material so that Over time heat would not be a factor, like I said, I just wonder how the Cylinder drop would sound...

Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 PM
eclipsems
Professional

It's about time someone's used valve technology in an exhaust.

Chevy and other manufacturers been using it for years.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

GM uses vacuum to control the mufflers on the Vette I think.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

now that is awesome! let me know if you go with it!

ive had tons of mufflers on my previous rams flowmasters, magnaflows, dynomax, glasspacks, of every size, from medium to the longest magnaflow made and they all droned on the highway and I swore I would never change exhaust again.

but this is pretty interesting. ive heard good things about the corsa db but the price on that package is way too much

Old 08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsparta11x
Hey everyone. I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab TRX4 with the 5.7L. I currently have the factory single out exhaust system. I have been looking to upgrade the exhaust system to something better then what I have, but I do not want any drone. I had a 2005 dodge ram with the 4.7L and Had a FlowMasters 50 series on it. That was fun to drive, but Not to fun on trips with the drone. I have also a heard nightmares about tone differences when the engine drops from 8-4-8 cylinders. I have been doing a lot of research and need some help. I want something loud when I step on it, but during normal driving, not to much. I was thinking that the factory dual setup was about the only thing I could do. I saw on the home page of the Dodge Forum
site that Dynomax has a new VT series muffler out that is suppose to be awesome. The 1st gens of theses mufflers I know had a really bad rattle problem, but apparently they fixed it by changing the angle of the valve. The question is, is anyone running this muffler? If so, how does it sound with the 5.7L? How is the Cylinder drop off? And, any performance increase? I am open to any and all opinions. Thanks

Here is a link to the DynoMax VT Page
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

The Hemi doesnt drone on the highway because of MDS. Unless, of course, you're climbing or pulling in a high RPM band. The trucks transition from 4-8-4 has never bothered me, the truck just gets quieter. This sounds like what you want anyway

Quick Reply: Dynomax VT new Option for us???