4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Time to trade in Car or Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 PM
MinatorHemi8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to trade in Car or Truck?

I preordered my truck back in october 08

Custom ordered an 2009 Dodge ram 1500 2wd Quad cab Sport with a 5.7L Hemi Alpine sound system, back up sensors, security system.

I enjoyed the ride handling throttle response the interior was the best Ive ever seen in any dodge product to date the ability to partially turn off the traction control was awesome. Then I ran into its short comings the speed limiter was set to 112 yet it could hit 112 in a few seconds compared to other trucks then I found all the aluminum they put into the chassis wasn't it was all it was cracked up to be, the same rough housing I did on the beach with my 06 bent the 09's steering knuckle 3 weeks after receiving the product and since it was just hitting the lots parts were few and far between.

Then what seemed to be an endless amount of RRT's hit, First my number 6 cylinder froze up which was blamed on the gas I was using but shortly there after an RRT came through about the same time my check engine light cut on for the top half of my engine to be replaced. So far at this point I've been to the dealer 3 times for repairs once my fault the rest the products in the three months of ownership.

Then the RRT hit for my bed caps weather stripping etc etc. While the so called simple RRTS were being fixed I noticed on a trip to the dealership my rear end was wining after 34,000 miles good thing they offered a lifetime power train warranty because I've needed it.

They ended up replacing all of the gears in the rear end 3 weeks later i found out they didn't seal it correctly with a huge puddle of fluid in my driveway.

Now my interior is falling apart starting with my drivers seat at 43,000 miles so I'm heading back to the dealership to see if I can get better luck on the next choice while i got it all glued back together for now.

I can't make up mind on what to get a Ram 2500 4X4 diesel or a SRT8 Challenger with a 6 speed, either ones a good choice which one would y'all switch to if you had the choice?

Ive thought of other brands but fords are crap chevys have a strong engine and tranny on a weak frame, Toyotas are weak in durability and performance so I'm sticking with dodge.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:48 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

whats RRT an acronym for? also if your having all these problems with your truck, why would you buy another mopar?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ram 2500 4X4 diesel or a SRT8 Challenger with a 6 speed

Sounds like you have absolutely no need for a truck if those are your 2 choices. Go with the challanger.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your truck...but why would you contemplate a car or truck, if you have no need for a truck go w/ a car save that gas $$...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Nate769
All Star

Sounds like they picked you a lemon. I have never heard of anyone having that much trouble. Either that or you just beat it to nothing! JKS I would almost look at seeing if you can get some compensation from a dealership on a new trade in...

If it were me, I would ask 1 simple question...well maybe two....How often are you going to pull? What are you going to pull? If your answers are every now and then, and anything but a fifth wheel. You don't need a 2500. (emphasis on the period!) If yes, sure 2500 is an option, but realize with strength comes loss in ride quality.

If you still want a truck for winters and for payloads, well of course your not looking at getting a car, but look again at a 1500.

If your not asking yourself any of these questions then yes, go with the challenger. However if your going to go for it just realize that there are two options. You can either get MDS with the 5-Speed. Or no MDS and the 6-speed. If your not into MDS then just throw that out the window and buy a challenger

Old 10-15-2011, 11:20 AM
kddsRam
Veteran

Interesting choice you are making so assuming you do not need a truck, go with the Challenger BUT no MDS option. My opinion, I will never buy another car or truck with this bulls**t cylinder deactivation, totally kills any type of performance feeling. I like my current setup on the Ram but I think Ford is doing it right with a move to direct injection twin turbo technology. I drove a 2011 F150 with an ecoboost setup, 3.73 gears ( you can order 4.10 with some package also ),super cab style and the thing is a total sling shot out of the hole. Would give you the best of both worlds in your choice here.

Last edited by kddsRam; 10-17-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:18 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain

Challenger

Old 10-15-2011, 09:31 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kddsRam
Interesting choice you are making so assuming you do not need a truck, go with the Challenger BUT no MDS option. My opinion, I will never buy another car or truck with this bulls**t cylinder deactivation, totally kills any type of performance feeling.
How do you figure? It only comes on at light throttle, steady cruise speeds and has no effect on the engine under load or when demanding power. It is easily turned off in a truck by using tow/haul mode or in any vehicle with a tuner.
The manual transmission cars do not have MDS anyway, so the 6-speed Challenger SRT8 would be a good choice.
The MDS does help me get about 1mpg better in my 08 Hemi Ram. I have a Predator tuner and get the best mileage running the 93 octane tune with MDS on. I have experimented many combo's.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:41 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Here's my take on the new diesels. And keep in mind I'm just as diehard a Cummins man as I am a Doge/Chrysler man...

But if you either a) don't haul or tow very often, or b) aren't willing to do a full emissions delete and lose any and all warranty at the same time, don't get the diesel. The gas 2500 will be just fine. No, it won't pull like a diesel the few times you tow, and mileage won't be as good as a deleted diesel, but you'll have reliability AND a warranty. Neither of which you get together with the new diesels.

As for the car vs. truck debate...that's all on you bud. If I had the money, I'd have a Challenger. But a Challenger would be completely worthless in the winter for me, and you can't haul much more than a$$ with a Challenger.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Nate769
All Star

I disagree as well, depending on how you drive depends on if MDS is going to work or not. Also depends where. I love my MDS, my truck runs pretty near 80% of the time on 4 cylinders, Highway that is. Granted I live on pretty flat land, drive the speed limit. But when its time to pass (if I need to) all I need to do is bump the lever down to kick it out of overdrive and mds. (5-speed auto) Power issue GONE! The issue is the choice between the MDS and the 6-speed in the challenger...For me it is a VERY VERY difficult choice, I LOVE a manual tranny. BUT I LOVE fuel economy. Its a teeter totter for me but its all what he wants, he has to choose that. Pros and Cons to each, just trying to point it all out...guess thats what the forums are for! haha

I'm going to touch on this but I don't want to start anything, its just if this option goes to anyone's mind!...

The ecoboost might be something to look at, but when it comes down to towing/hauling, its gonna be CRAP. HP is good don't get me wrong but low end needed towing torque it lacks severely. In my opinion Ford took a six cylinder motor, added a few turbos, enhanced the technology and called it the best truck motor. Same HP as most 8cylinder trucks and best of all 30MPG, its all a sales gimmic to try and pull more people to getting into a truck because they already lost the minivan market to dodge, and im sure are having a tough time keeping up with many of these import cars. They make their money on their trucks, but im sure have been threatened by dodge. (I'm upset that dodge is putting pentestars in the rams in 2012 but unfortunately they have to follow the market) Probably 75% of the people that I talk to that don't get into a truck is for fuel economy. I will admit you have to play the market, which Ford excels at, but Dodge still has the best MPG/power ratio with their Hemi.

If you can drive these new Hemi's with some common sense and respect you can get more MPG out of them, and when you need to pull you can. Something thats going to be harder if you get into a new Ford or even the new Pentestars by dodge. Not to mention Ford needs two turbos to get their 5.0 liter to 400HP while 5.7 hemi needs none. Not to mention most of these ratings for the Ford are at higher RPMs Vs the Dodge. Which makes sense because the turbos won't really help you until you have got your motor going hard. (Hence turbo spool up)
I just think its a little of a sales gimmic, these new ecoboost motors. But im just a die hard HP/Torque TRUCK TOWING guy. When I get into a truck, im ready to work, not to play. But with MDS I can play a little, but mostly when its needed put er to work. I get that with Hemi. Which I think is something you have to look at when your comparing a car to a truck. Start with the truck and think about what your going to do with it. If you don't need a truck and are looking at "getting off the line" that challenger will SMOKE that ecoboost 2X over...

Sorry for the rant, but I think its all stuff you kinda have to look at when your looking for a truck or a car.

Quick Reply: Time to trade in Car or Truck?