4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

truck + Snow= Fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAMULAK
I have an '09 Sport Quad Cab and been through some harsh winters up here in NH. However we typically get a powder type snow seeing as it is a bit colder up here. I have yet to have any issue with my trans getting stuck in gear. Are the trucks having this issue getting wet snow? Like slush build up or is actually snow packing in?
I wanted to mount my GoPro camera under the truck last winter to see what was going on while driving, but I couldn't figure a good way to get it hung under there without getting coated itself.
I'd love to see a pic of the packed snow on someones if it happens again....

If it is the air dam doing it would hanging a deflector on the bottom edge disturb the flow enough to stop this? Sort of like a Semi Trucks mud flap (cut shorter of course) hanging under the radiator lower support?
This is just MY opinion, (mines a 2010 QC 4x4 Hemi Sport w/console shift)
i think it has alot to do with wet snow, and slush. The big 20" florida HP street tires i think is why it happens. The goodyear HP tires seem to wanna float on top of wet snow and slush. While doing so, the front tires seem to splash all the wet snow and slush up under the truck in a big way, the shift cable area is right in target of it. I could be wrong on that, but thats what my brother saw last year when i drove it up and down the road while he watched as i drove by. He said those goodyear HP`s looked like a snowplow pushing snow. Pulled back into the driveway, my shift cable area was packed full of wet snow and slush. Dunno, just a thought on what we saw that day. The HP tires dont have very wide grooves, because of the design of the tread, seems logical why they splash rather than go thru the wet snow and slush like a real snow tire tread design would. I`ve never seen a chevy truck have snow and slush build up under their trucks like these 4th gen trucks do, and rightfully so, their frames hang down alot lower than a 4th gen dodge, therfore, shields wet snow and slush from the transmission area better.

Last edited by LU229; 10-31-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 AM
awful knawful
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in snow country and my 09 SLT CC with 17" winter steel rims has never had this problem.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229
This is why in the beginning of the fall season, i spray the side of my tranny with pam cooking spray around the cable area.
And i ALWAYS carry a couple cans of windshield de-icer spraycans under my seat in the winter just incase it gets plugged up with slush and snow.
I have since, came up with a homemade shield that bolts to the transmission to deflect the snow and ice away from the shift cable.

Yeah i agree, $55 grand (or whatever you pay) for a truck, and they leave the shift linkage area wide open to fail...typical dumb az engineers.
Then some dumb az redneck like me, designs a simple 50 cent plastic deflecter that protects the shifter cable area... go figure.
Please dont ask me to post pics of my homemade shifter shield, i cant, and i wont.
(Sorry guys, i`ve already put a patent on the design of it. Maybe i`ll sell the design to chrysler, then you can ALL get one for free)

I don't blame you. Five years ago I figured out that the clips to hold a D cell Mag Lite would snap on the rollers of a fairlead perfectly and made myself a license plate bracket for the front of my truck. Posted a DIY on another site (I hadn't heard of this one yet, but my DIY is on here now as well).

Someone saw it and ran with it, started selling them on ebay and shortly after had a contract with both JEGS and SUMMIT who were selling this thing that originally cost me $11 to make for $69.99!

Obviously I never saw dime one out of my design and the only satisfaction I got was after bugging the guy for about a year and a half I got him to acknowledge that he got the idea off my online DIY.

Hindsight is always 20/20...

Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 AM
72combo
Champion

Highly doubt Chrysler will buy anyone's design for something like that, their lawyers won't let them. It would be proof that there is a problem but why not go for it. I haven't have the issue but then again I had my truck oil sprayed???? Also us BFGoodrich Slalom something or rather 17 inch on steelies. We really haven't had much of that slushy stuff so that could be part of it. They really get to our streets quickly here and with all the salt the only thing thriving is rust.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by 72combo
Highly doubt Chrysler will buy anyone's design for something like that, their lawyers won't let them. It would be proof that there is a problem but why not go for it. I haven't have the issue but then again I had my truck oil sprayed???? Also us BFGoodrich Slalom something or rather 17 inch on steelies. We really haven't had much of that slushy stuff so that could be part of it. They really get to our streets quickly here and with all the salt the only thing thriving is rust.
YUP, you`re probably right about that..! Their lawyers will wait for someone to sue chrysler for a truck that wouldnt go into park and the customer was unaware of it, then the truck rolls away and hits and kills someone, THEN they`ll do something for a fix to keep it from happening again. Then i`ll sue chrysler for patend copy right infringment. The only ones that win, are the lawyers...!!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:19 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No issues with that on my 09 rc sport, at least not yet and I have gone through deep snow, mostly last winter.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 AM
gtivr6
Amateur

Should I go through Mopar or is there another company that make skid plates for our trucks that someone would recommend.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM
chris288

09 TRX 4 Hemi with console shift 17" aluminum rims. 16 inches of very wet snow Satruday into Sunday, no problems. This is my first snow storm with the truck and it did very well, just hate the dayum traction control.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
LU229
Banned

Anybody else seeing a trend here, with the 17" tires vs 20" tires...????
I still stick with my original thoughts that the 20inch "HP florida slicks" are the contributor to the problem, splashing the wet snow and slush alot more than the more agressive 17" treads.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 PM
gtivr6
Amateur

I deff agree that the wheels and tires play a roll in this but i also think having no skid plates under my truck plays another roll. I called the dealer and they have a good price on the skid plates. Im going to go that route and if I need extra protection I can just work off of the skid plate by tacking on another peice of metal.

Quick Reply: truck + Snow= Fail