4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

truck + Snow= Fail

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtivr6
I deff agree that the wheels and tires play a roll in this but i also think having no skid plates under my truck plays another roll. I called the dealer and they have a good price on the skid plates. Im going to go that route and if I need extra protection I can just work off of the skid plate by tacking on another peice of metal.
Not sure if that will make it better or worse. I've got full body skidplates under my jeep and while they do a good job of protecting against rocks they also hold in every bit of dirt snow and mud that gets above them.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
gtivr6
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the mopar skid plates. I feel if I have skid plates there instead of not having them there will deff help the cause. Not have plates in my opinion is just stupid. All trucks should come with them.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 AM
iskybantilus
Professional

very intersting point about the skid plates, no one who has had the problem has been mentioning if they did or didnt have the skid plates.

while the skid plates may trap particulate above them, they will also trap some amount of heat which may cause the ice/snow to melt away better and not freeze up the mechanism ... who knows?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
gtivr6
Amateur

The shifter linkage needs to be blocked by something and not just be out in the open

Old 11-03-2011, 07:15 PM
ramtrx4

I'm in Northern Ontario Canada, we get lots and I mean lots of snow at winter, on my 2010 TRX4 I have skid plates and never had a issue as mention above, my father in law has a 2010 SLT no skid plate and was having the same issue last winter, I do believe that the skid plates protect against that problem. That's what I think anyway.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
gtivr6
Amateur

I concure

Old 11-05-2011, 04:26 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran

I wonder?? Go to, "Fluid-Film.com" They claim their product acts as a snow and ice release agent. This would be great if it's really does.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by newmexicoram
I wonder?? Go to, "Fluid-Film.com" They claim their product acts as a snow and ice release agent. This would be great if it's really does.
I`ve tried it in the past, not effective at all, so save your money.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
gtivr6
Amateur

what else is good out there that I can spray the linkage under the truck with. I installed the Mopar Skid Plates and to tell you the truth, I dont think its going to do anything. Just does not cover enough area. There nice and all but they only protect certain areas. I Think I give up. If it get stuck again im calling roadside and having them deal with it. I only have the truck 7months. Just dont understand how it caked so much in that one area.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

Still amazed....no pictures....no video.....

I took another look last night to see what could be done but that big chunk of exhaust is in the way. If it is that hot how does it stick like it does?

Someone take pics for us please.....

I did figure a way to mount my GoPro while I was under the truck. However I keep saying we just don't get that much slushy snow. They plow really well and by the time I am on the road there isn't much to get up under the truck. I will have to time the camera with a slushy road event.

Quick Reply: truck + Snow= Fail