4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

truck + Snow= Fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:42 PM
gtivr6
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck + Snow= Fail

I bought a $55K truck and for what. Cant get the truck out of gear and its stuck in the parking lot. This seams to be an issue with the linkage on this truck. I guess all the snow jams everything up. Whats the point of having this nice truck if you can even venture out in the snow. its only 5" of snow anyway. Really has me pissed. they better come up with a solution to this ****.

I got it out by having a buddy rock the truck back and forth which released it from Reverse which it was stuck in. but I can still feel it when I went to put it in park in my driveway. still wants to not engage. My 2009 silverado never did this.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gtivr6
I bought a $55K truck and for what. Cant get the truck out of gear and its stuck in the parking lot. This seams to be an issue with the linkage on this truck. I guess all the snow jams everything up. Whats the point of having this nice truck if you can even venture out in the snow. its only 5" of snow anyway. Really has me pissed. they better come up with a solution to this ****.

I got it out by having a buddy rock the truck back and forth which released it from Reverse which it was stuck in. but I can still feel it when I went to put it in park in my driveway. still wants to not engage. My 2009 silverado never did this.
People say they've been having issues w/ this.....I'm in NJ during this odd October and drove all over bc theres some extensive damage where I'm at w/ trees down all over and did not have an issue w/ it binding up...

Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 PM
2010 TRX4
Professional
Default This may help

Hi all, I have a 2010 TRX4 regular cab and we in New England had a significant snow season last season, I was snowblowing at least 2-3 times for many weeks on end. Anyways, my rig blasted through the snow to beat the band with no issues what so ever. BUT, I have a friend who has an 09' sport quad and he had many issues last season with the shifter would freeze up. He brought it to the same dealer I am a customer at and the tech did some searching. It seems the Sport models with the air dam somehow sucks snow under the vehicle and clogs up the linkage. He carries a homemade stick of some kind to clear it and he has to climb under it oviously. We searched this forum a while ago and there are threads on this subject. I am not sure if you have a Sport or not.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 PM
09RuffRam
Veteran

all our trucks at work do this all year long. snow or mud, dont matter. just clogs the transmission and transfer case both. our fords have the same problem. have never had a problem with my personal truck except that the traction control system sucks in the snow. lifted truck can drive down the street in town but you see civics and sunfires just blow through the stuff and all mine wants to do is stop the wheels from spinning. need 4Lo in town haha.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtivr6

This is why in the beginning of the fall season, i spray the side of my tranny with pam cooking spray around the cable area.
And i ALWAYS carry a couple cans of windshield de-icer spraycans under my seat in the winter just incase it gets plugged up with slush and snow.
I have since, came up with a homemade shield that bolts to the transmission to deflect the snow and ice away from the shift cable.

Yeah i agree, $55 grand (or whatever you pay) for a truck, and they leave the shift linkage area wide open to fail...typical dumb az engineers.
Then some dumb az redneck like me, designs a simple 50 cent plastic deflecter that protects the shifter cable area... go figure.
Please dont ask me to post pics of my homemade shifter shield, i cant, and i wont.
(Sorry guys, i`ve already put a patent on the design of it. Maybe i`ll sell the design to chrysler, then you can ALL get one for free)

Last edited by LU229; 10-30-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LU229
This is why in the beginning of the fall season, i spray the side of my tranny with pam cooking spray around the cable area.
And i ALWAYS carry a couple cans of windshield de-icer spraycans under my seat in the winter just incase it gets plugged up with slush and snow.
I have since, came up with a homemade shield that bolts to the transmission to deflect the snow and ice away from the shift cable.

Yeah i agree, $55 grand (or whatever you pay) for a truck and they leave a cable area wide open to fail...typical dumb az engineers.
Then some dumb az redneck like me, designs a simple deflecter... go figure. Please dont ask me to post pics, i cant, i dont own a camera.
you edited you post before I commented haha, damn, I wanted to see pics! I'm going to end up building a shield for mine even though I haven't had issues w/ my truck (yet)....

Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
you edited you post before I commented haha, damn, I wanted to see pics! I'm going to end up building a shield for mine even though I haven't had issues w/ my truck (yet)....
Sorry Mikey, i`ll try not to do that again buddie

Old 10-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LU229
Sorry Mikey, i`ll try not to do that again buddie
haha no worries! when I build one I'll post pics so people can take a peek on how to build one.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
haha no worries! when I build one I'll post pics so people can take a peek on how to build one.
Mikey Mikey Mikey,
why give something away when you can make money off from it....lol.
Just messin with ya bro, by all meens, do what you think is right.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:48 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

I have an '09 Sport Quad Cab and been through some harsh winters up here in NH. However we typically get a powder type snow seeing as it is a bit colder up here. I have yet to have any issue with my trans getting stuck in gear. Are the trucks having this issue getting wet snow? Like slush build up or is actually snow packing in?
I wanted to mount my GoPro camera under the truck last winter to see what was going on while driving, but I couldn't figure a good way to get it hung under there without getting coated itself.
I'd love to see a pic of the packed snow on someones if it happens again....

If it is the air dam doing it would hanging a deflector on the bottom edge disturb the flow enough to stop this? Sort of like a Semi Trucks mud flap (cut shorter of course) hanging under the radiator lower support?

Quick Reply: truck + Snow= Fail