4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Bulbs out there.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:00 AM
AZdave
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah Lu, i busted out the 7mm and gave it 4-1/4 clockwise turn and I'm good to go. I hesitated in the past cuz i didnt want to spend a few bucks on a T-handle torx that I'd never use again. Thanks, man.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Patsfan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229
Todays headlights have a cutoff point, nothing you can do about that either. They`re only going to shine out there just so far and thats it.
But you can aim them up easily, as it DOES make a VAST improvement...!
Open your hood, look at both inner fenders, look for an arrow stamped in each inner fender panel on both right and left inner fenders, there will be an access hole, the arrow in the inner fender points to the correct hole to get to the adjustment screw, (probably about a foot behind the headlight in this inner fender panel, you`ll see the arrow, use a flashlight to look down in the hole, you`ll see the adjustment screw head) Now take a 1/4inch drive rachet and a 7mm socket with a 6 or 8 inch extention, stick it down in the hole, turn the headlight adjusting screw clockwise about 3 to 4 turns, and you should be good right there. Add more turns to the adjustment to your desire. For those that have their headlights too high, turn the adjuster screw counterclockwise to lower the headlight beam. Hope this helps guys, i know it made a huge amount of difference in night driving on my own truck.

Almost forgot to mention.... my truck is a 4th gen, 2010 Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi Sport w/quad headlights.
I`m not sure how many turns on the H/adjusters for the SLT truck with dual standard type headlights.
Best thing to do is maybe try 3 to 4 turns on the adjustment screws and then see where you`re at when you drive it.

Just my opinion on silverstars, way over priced & rated, and dont last very long. I`ve tried them several times, had no luck with them.
I went back to the standard OSRAM 55/65watt, works just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper. (my truck has H11 L - 9005 H)
Thanks, I adjusted mine 3 clockwise turns and we'll see how it looks tonight on the backroads. My truck has the H13 lights and there's no arrow but there's only two holes dirrectly over the headlamp and only one has an adjuster screw in it. So thanks again for the writeup and hoping this makes the difference as the Silverstars certainly don't at the stock level.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by AZdave
yeah Lu, i busted out the 7mm and gave it 4-1/4 clockwise turn and I'm good to go. I hesitated in the past cuz i didnt want to spend a few bucks on a T-handle torx that I'd never use again. Thanks, man.
Absolutely glad i could help dave.
Yeah buddie, i hear ya on buyin a tool only to use it once, that DOES suck.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Patsfan
Thanks, I adjusted mine 3 clockwise turns and we'll see how it looks tonight on the backroads. My truck has the H13 lights and there's no arrow but there's only two holes dirrectly over the headlamp and only one has an adjuster screw in it. So thanks again for the writeup and hoping this makes the difference as the Silverstars certainly don't at the stock level.
Yeah the arrows are usually so faint that you cant hardly see them. All the USA made ram trucks are stamped in the metal, kind of an embossed stamping. A friend of mine has a 2011, and you can barely make out the stamped arrow in the inner fender and its a USA made truck, but mine is very visable. I previously owned a 2010 satillo mexican made regular cab hemi truck and i didnt see ANY stamping in the inner fender, but DID have the 2 different holes in there. Not sayin they arent there on the satillo made trucks, just sayin i didnt see any on mine when i owned it.

Here is a couple links that might help some of you.
Has good info why NOT to run blue tinted halogen bulbs.
(this meens silverstar are a bad choice in my opinion, they`re TINTED BLUE..!)
http://www.bretl.com/blueheads.htm
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

Last edited by LU229; 11-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

Silverstar bulbs are among the whitest light there is - which is why they are so reflective ---- the blue lights emit a lot of light that isn't visible to the human eye, which is why they are not as reflective....

Don't mistake a blue coating for the kind/color of light it emits.....

Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 AM
InterpunX
Captain

Originally Posted by RamTRX
We'll I am not against HIDS, but the issue is who will install them? I don't trust any of the mechanics around my area. (Small town).
You can install them yourself in about an hour. Its just like changing bulbs but you add a couple things.

I still can't believe you guys are debating what halogen bulbs to use. HID is the future of lights and I give it 5 years and halogen will be thing of the past.

All you need to do is buy a HID kit for whatever bulb type you need and make sure it works on a dodge (capacitor needed). Do a bit of research just on this forum alone or ask a walkthrough and someone will gladly help you with pictures and all. The amount of light they produce is insane, I got hid in everything now including fourwheeler. Also people who think they blind people with HID just ajust your light properly. I personally think when I see oncoming traffic with HID's it is less blindning than halogen, if they have the lights adjusted. Might not be legal in your state or whatever all I gotta say is sucks to be you.

I drive a 45k truck and certainly don't wanna hit a moose cause I was too cheap to put good lights in. This is your safety turn night into day.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:50 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by InterpunX
You can install them yourself in about an hour. Its just like changing bulbs but you add a couple things.

I still can't believe you guys are debating what halogen bulbs to use. HID is the future of lights and I give it 5 years and halogen will be thing of the past.

All you need to do is buy a HID kit for whatever bulb type you need and make sure it works on a dodge (capacitor needed). Do a bit of research just on this forum alone or ask a walkthrough and someone will gladly help you with pictures and all. The amount of light they produce is insane, I got hid in everything now including fourwheeler. Also people who think they blind people with HID just ajust your light properly. I personally think when I see oncoming traffic with HID's it is less blindning than halogen, if they have the lights adjusted. Might not be legal in your state or whatever all I gotta say is sucks to be you.

I drive a 45k truck and certainly don't wanna hit a moose cause I was too cheap to put good lights in. This is your safety turn night into day.
Did you install projector`s in your truck when you switched to HID bulbs...?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by WNDERR
Silverstar bulbs are among the whitest light there is - which is why they are so reflective ---- the blue lights emit a lot of light that isn't visible to the human eye, which is why they are not as reflective....

Don't mistake a blue coating for the kind/color of light it emits.....
Phil, i cant even laugh at that... REALLY...???

Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

Originally Posted by LU229
Phil, i cant even laugh at that... REALLY...???
It's true - do your research, I did, a long time ago! Many of the wavelengths of blue light are not visible to the human eye. Silverstar are among the whitest lights out there.

(By the way, blue lights are illegal almost everywhere - DOT regs specify white or yellow.)

Old 11-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZdave
You never know you might use it again...

Originally Posted by Patsfan
I'd be contacting the dealer and ask them to give you a new adjuster screw that's bs... the holes are pretty easily identifiable w/ the arrow pointing at it, look closely...

Quick Reply: Best Bulbs out there.