4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Bulbs out there.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 AM
RamTRX
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Bulbs out there.

Quite disapointed with the bulbs that come stock with the Truck. I am looking into buying new bulbs. Not a HID kit.

What are the best bulbs you've seen or tried?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the exception of the first set, my Piaa bulbs seem to be doing well. The first set lasted less than 3 months but were warrantied. They are bright, however the 3rd gens reflectors suck. Sorry I cannot see what gen this post is in on the mobile site. I'd say they are 1 step below HID.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 12-08-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you said you don't want HID's (even though they are TOTALLY WORTH IT!)...I'd look into silverstar ultra's (life expectancy sucks on them though).....But try adjusting the headlights up 5 full turns (you'll like the difference even w/ stock bulbs)...it's easy...

Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 PM
ketleone

FWIW, I replaced my bulbs with SilverStar Ultras for low/high and regular Silverstar for the fogs and can say they make a huge difference.

As as their longevity, time will tell but I have had them in previous vehicles with good luck. Just make sure you never touch the bulb when replacing them.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Patsfan
Professional

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
Since you said you don't want HID's (even though they are TOTALLY WORTH IT!)...I'd look into silverstar ultra's (life expectancy sucks on them though).....But try adjusting the headlights up 5 full turns (you'll like the difference even w/ stock bulbs)...it's easy...
I replaced my headlights with Silverstars and am not overly impressed. They didn't offer the ultras in H13s so I would be curious how to adjust the lights for distance. They are brighter and get a wider range but I think with the rake of the truck, I'm not getting the throw I want. Any suggestions. I will keep these for their life and will look at another type in the future.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Patsfan
I replaced my headlights with Silverstars and am not overly impressed. They didn't offer the ultras in H13s so I would be curious how to adjust the lights for distance. They are brighter and get a wider range but I think with the rake of the truck, I'm not getting the throw I want. Any suggestions. I will keep these for their life and will look at another type in the future.
Todays headlights have a cutoff point, nothing you can do about that either. They`re only going to shine out there just so far and thats it.
But you can aim them up easily, as it DOES make a VAST improvement...!
Open your hood, look at both inner fenders, look for an arrow stamped in each inner fender panel on both right and left inner fenders, there will be an access hole, the arrow in the inner fender points to the correct hole to get to the adjustment screw, (probably about a foot behind the headlight in this inner fender panel, you`ll see the arrow, use a flashlight to look down in the hole, you`ll see the adjustment screw head) Now take a 1/4inch drive rachet and a 7mm socket with a 6 or 8 inch extention, stick it down in the hole, turn the headlight adjusting screw clockwise about 3 to 4 turns, and you should be good right there. Add more turns to the adjustment to your desire. For those that have their headlights too high, turn the adjuster screw counterclockwise to lower the headlight beam. Hope this helps guys, i know it made a huge amount of difference in night driving on my own truck.

Almost forgot to mention.... my truck is a 4th gen, 2010 Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi Sport w/quad headlights.
I`m not sure how many turns on the H/adjusters for the SLT truck with dual standard type headlights.
Best thing to do is maybe try 3 to 4 turns on the adjustment screws and then see where you`re at when you drive it.

Just my opinion on silverstars, way over priced & rated, and dont last very long. I`ve tried them several times, had no luck with them.
I went back to the standard OSRAM 55/65watt, works just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper. (my truck has H11 L - 9005 H)

Last edited by LU229; 11-04-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by RamTRX
Quite disapointed with the bulbs that come stock with the Truck. I am looking into buying new bulbs. Not a HID kit.

What are the best bulbs you've seen or tried?
Do you have the quad headlights or the standard dual headlights, that will make a big difference right there.
Also re-aiming them a little higher makes a HUGE difference..! Try 3 to 4 turns clockwise, may need more or less, depends on what you like.

As for quality, OSRAM makes the best bang for the buck.
If you buy them from ebay, make sure they say OSRAM,
or you`ll end up getting snookerd with cheap chinese garbage.

Last edited by LU229; 11-04-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Thack

Re-aiming is good advise. I just did this today after reading this post and it made a tremendous difference...thx!

Last edited by Thack; 11-05-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 PM
RamTRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816

We'll I am not against HIDS, but the issue is who will install them? I don't trust any of the mechanics around my area. (Small town).

Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Thack
Re-aiming is good advise. I just did this today after reading this post and it make a tremendous difference...thx!
Thats AWESOME...!!! Happy to hear that it worked out good for you.
Its not often anyone on here takes my advice, so thank you for commenting.

Quick Reply: Best Bulbs out there.