4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New Member - New Longhorn Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 AM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nate769
Proof please...facts only, no horseplay...Relate to factory single exhaust only.
Proof that HID runs hotter than halogen?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 AM
red2011bighorn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tobyjohnson11
Hello All,

New member here and a first time Hemi Owner. I had a 2004 2500 Cummins and I loved it. I have drove GM vehicles most of my life, but decided to pull the trigger on a new ram.

I ordered a 2012 1500 4x2 Laramie Longhorn and have a few questions. I am looking to get the best mileage possible out of this truck. 95% of my trips are 100 miles on the interstate. I am thinking about adding a few things to the truck and would like some opinions and recommendations.

I ordered the 3.21 axle ratio in an attempt to maximize fuel mileage. I don’t ever plan on pulling anything or racing anyone so losing the low end torque doesn’t bother me.

Could adding a cold air intake, exhaust, and programmer help get better mileage?
I also am considering hid and ledlights and a lockpick for the navigation system. Any experience with these items?

I saw on the Mopar website that there was an option to get a kicker subwoofer for the 2011trucks. Has anyone ever upgraded the subwoofer and is the kicker subwoofer available for the 2012’s?

I am also considering an extended warranty. I don’t know much about these hemiengines or transmissions. Would an extended warranty be a good idea?

I am sure I will have many more questions and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks

Toby
word to the wise watch about putting the cold air intake, exaust and programmer on it cause it can void the warranty thats part of the reason i havnt worried about putting an intake on mine some dealer service shops care some don't and anyone one this forum knows what i am talking about. one dealer said good to go anything behind the cat and one said nothing at all on the exaust. i mean its hit or miss.

Last edited by red2011bighorn; 11-09-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Proof please...facts only, no horseplay...Relate to factory single exhaust only.
Crawl under both and take a look, then you'll understand. Both systems are exactly the same up to the muffler - unequal length pipes coming off the manifolds into a Y pipe to a cat. Then in the single you get a huge roundish straight through muffler, the dual relies on a more oval one that they have to play with the chambers to get 2 outputs to fit - works so poorly that they have to add the resonators to the dual system. Then look at the piping - single basically straight out with an angle at the end. The duals look like spaghetti and then have a resonator attached at each pipe.

The factory duals are a fashion statement not a performance accessory.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by InterpunX
Proof that HID runs hotter than halogen?
No no, talking exhaust here...

I want to see dyno proof that the duals are that much worse then the single stock exhaust. My understanding they are going to be maybe 2HP LESS then a single single exhaust. BIG WHOOP IMO, I will take the sound and style over that 2 HP gain any day.

Research resonator there oldjeep, then see if the single exhaust has one.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:55 AM
oldjeep
Champion

I want to see dyno proof that the duals are that much worse then the single stock exhaust. My understanding they are going to be maybe 2HP LESS then a single single exhaust. BIG WHOOP IMO, I will take the sound and style over that 2 HP gain any day.

Sweet, so now you're admitting that the duals are worse and saying what you meant is that you like the sound. That is how "The Duals will help you out" ? LOL

And the single exhaust does not have a resonator, I could crawl under there and take a picture for you if you like.
[Edit - ok, there is a resonator on the single about the size of a mini cooper muffler]

Last edited by oldjeep; 11-09-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 AM
InterpunX
Captain

No I'm just saying prove your scientific researcgh that hids run hotter than halogen. You keep saying that in every post while its not true. Has nothing to do with this thread bit just had to say it.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

Halogen bulbs run at 250-600 C degree

HID (Metal Halide) bulbs run at 1000-3000 C degrees.

Since there is no overlap, HID do run at a higher temperature.

Sources include Osram-Sylvania, Wikipedia, and many more.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by WNDERR
Halogen bulbs run at 250-600 C degree

HID (Metal Halide) bulbs run at 1000-3000 C degrees.

Since there is no overlap, HID do run at a higher temperature.

Sources include Osram-Sylvania, Wikipedia, and many more.
Thank you for that.

Interpunx...That was in relation to HID in projectors and the fact that if your not careful you could melt your lens. In fact it has everything do with the fact that I did not put projectors in when I put HIDS in. Refer to post # 6, you will see.

Oldjeep...I still stand on the fact that the dual is better. You get better sound, you "could" get better airflow by removing the resonators. Yes I also stated that you "might" see a drop in MPG by 1 MAX. Yes I also did state that you might loose 2HP MAX. I DID however state that unless you running on a dyno you will never notice the difference. (If you do you better open up your own factory exhaust shop soon and sell to all the manufactures, cause you just figured out something they couldn't) In your post IMO you made it sound like the duals were the end of world with all its spaghetti and bends and turns and resonators and...

SO to put that all together for you...With a single, your not symmetrical, its not going to sound as good, you might see 2 HP more MAX (not saying your going to see that). With a dual, you are symmetrical, its going to have a little bit of a roar, you MAYBE see 2 HP less then that of a single. Your bumper could already be fitted for an aftermarket exhaust if you plan to go that route. To me that's """How the dual will help you out"""".

PS. In relation to resonators and "oval" mufflers. Those "oval" mufflers are mufflers without resonators. Its harder to get the resonators to work correctly in a dual exhaust when the lengths are slightly different. Hence why they are separate from the exhaust.

Now, lets get back to the thread.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 PM
tobyjohnson11
Rookie

OK so the truck is here and it’s awesome. I think I am really going to like it. The weather here has been crappy for the past two days so I haven’t got any pics yet, but they are coming!!!!!

So far I love most everything about the truck more than I thought I would. Here are a few things I don't love though.

1. I did not receive an owner’s manual or a navigation manual... I did receive a user’s guide which is nice and helpful as a "quick start guide" but I would like to have a owner’s manual and one of the nav system. The nav is a 730 system and I really like it and I am pretty sure I can figure out how to work it, but a manual would be very nice.
2. I can’t get any photos to load from my usb drive. I have tried three of them and still can’t get the usb to be accessible under the my pictures section.
3. I don’t understand why the programmed seats do not move when I hit the unlock button on the key fob. I attempted to program the fob as instructed in the "quick start guide" but can’t tell if it did anything.
3. Do the rear seats fold down? I can lift them up to get under the seat but do they fold back where I can get behind the seats?

Overall I am very happy with the truck and can’t wait to get out there and see how good of mileage I can get with the 3.21 ratio.

Pics coming soon!!!!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM
tobyjohnson11
Rookie

Here are a few pics guys. The truck is a little dirty form driving in the rain.

Attached Thumbnails New Member - New Longhorn Ordered-img_0510.jpg   New Member - New Longhorn Ordered-img_0511.jpg   New Member - New Longhorn Ordered-img_0512.jpg  

Last edited by tobyjohnson11; 12-22-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: New Member - New Longhorn Ordered