4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Performance air filters

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM
SomeHotPhototaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance air filters

What are the good and bad on them? My dad wants one before he does go out and purchase one of them he just wants the take on them. Is the K&N one better than the rest?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your talking just an air-filter for the stock air box go K&N, can't beat em....

If your talking cold air intake....save your $$ and get an exhaust....I have a K&N 63 Series CAI on my truck, it just makes it louder(more growl under the hood) and gives you roughly 10HP, not really worth it. I'm actually looking to sell my CAI put my stock box back in and purchasing a K&N Filter for it...

Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Patsfan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
If your talking just an air-filter for the stock air box go K&N, can't beat em....

If your talking cold air intake....save your $$ and get an exhaust....I have a K&N 63 Series CAI on my truck, it just makes it louder(more growl under the hood) and gives you roughly 10HP, not really worth it. I'm actually looking to sell my CAI put my stock box back in and purchasing a K&N Filter for it...
I agree. I bought a drop-in K&N when my first filter change was due. The dealer wanted around $35 for the paper filter and I got the aftermarket for around $80. I recently cleaned it when I replaced the spark plugs, so the recharge kit was another $20. The way I see it, if I get 100,000 km or more, it's paid for itself. I didn't see any difference when I initially installed it but we're talking about a 400HP motor. I installed a Magnaflow exhaust after and was thinking about a CAI but from what I've seen and heard will probably spend my money on other accessories.

Last edited by Patsfan; 11-10-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamThisUSMC
What are the good and bad on them? My dad wants one before he does go out and purchase one of them he just wants the take on them. Is the K&N one better than the rest?
Just install the K&N filter. Dont bother with the CAI kits, its not worth the money.
(The 4th gen trucks actually have a VERY good air intake box already...save your money)
Alot of these high priced CAI kits actually make you loose power. (and MPG...!)
The K&N CAI kit had a little more boost in topend HP, but lost torque down low.
You NEED torque down low, thats what gets the mass rolling...!
What good is horsepower with no torque to get you there.

So unless you wanna spend BIG dollars on a CAI kit just to make more noise and go backwards in power,
just stick the K&N air filter in it an be done with it. You`ll be glad you did. Very happy with mine ($59 bucks)

Last edited by LU229; 11-11-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

CAIs don't do much by themselves and probably aren't worth the $ unless you are going to other mods that can make use of the extra/cooler air like a ported TB, heads or headers, which will all benefit from the CAI.

Premium drop-in filters as a rule, let in more air and filter better than a stnadard paper filter. K&Ns are good, I have been using them in both the cone and flat drop-in flavors for years but you might also wanna look at the newer, premium dry filters as technology in the non-oiled ones has come a long way in recent years. Now they flow/filter just as well and don't require the messy cleaning/re-oiling that the K&Ns do.
Good choices in a dry filter are AEM & Amsoil...

Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 AM
WaySlowWhitey
Rookie

Anyone know of another manufacturere like True Flow with true foam drop-in filters? K&N's are good but prefer a true foam filter vs. paper.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 PM
ridem high
Veteran

Remember!More air flow equals more dirt flow.Through the filter that is.But it's all in what you like.I have tried the k&N drop in filter,and didn't see or feel any difference.If you are in it for the looks,then try the Volant CAI system.Had it on my 05 Daytona,looked good,but no performance gain,actually lost MPG......

Old 11-13-2011, 04:35 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

The factory air box on 2009 up flows well according too what's been posted about them. I think K&N are a sure wary to dirt up a engine. Waste of money. Does nothing but suck in my dirt. Lots of oil analysis on www.bobtheoilguy showing high silicate levels and almost everyone of those has a K&N filter at the other end.

Quick Reply: Performance air filters