4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Detailing and Cleaning
Print Wikipost

100 km/hr wind gusts + crappy roofing job =

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011 | 02:33 PM
red2011bighorn
Rookie

yeah sport hoods are 1500 only and i feel for you cause that will be hard to color match i would make him feel the pain somehow. cause it probably will happen again if it happened 2 times already on seperate occasions. sounds like it was a botched roofing job.

Old 12-01-2011 | 03:46 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

any update on this? this thread has me really angry. What didnt he do? you said tab the roof, now that could mean a few things. Obviously he had to tab them to get a proper stagger or else water is going to be leaking in. also, you can put as small as a 5th of a shingle, but if he only put 1 nail instead of 2, its going to blow off. also given your area, maybe you cant go as small as a 5th (which I never do anyways) so regardless he should have enough nails as required by your local codes, to hold those shingles on and they shouldnt be blowing off

my point

if they're blowing off, he didnt nail em enough

Old 12-01-2011 | 06:25 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by mdram43
any update on this? this thread has me really angry. What didnt he do? you said tab the roof, now that could mean a few things. Obviously he had to tab them to get a proper stagger or else water is going to be leaking in. also, you can put as small as a 5th of a shingle, but if he only put 1 nail instead of 2, its going to blow off. also given your area, maybe you cant go as small as a 5th (which I never do anyways) so regardless he should have enough nails as required by your local codes, to hold those shingles on and they shouldnt be blowing off

my point

this is called poor handymen . They come like lint in your pocket...

Old 12-02-2011 | 04:02 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Nate769
this is called poor handymen . They come like lint in your pocket...
i'm a contractor myself. This isnt poor handymen, its a cheap @$$ homeowner, who should have never been doing it himself. Dont get me wrong, anyone can properly roof, its just the guy obviously didnt have a clue how to do it.

especially given the recession here in the US, everyone is now a handyman. I see vehicles of everytype with ladders on top now. and people would rather higher the fly by day guy for some cash, then pay the licensed, insured, experienced, professional contractor, because his prices are higher, due to his over head and experience.

I cant stand ish like this. which is why I'd love to know whats going on

Old 12-02-2011 | 05:03 PM
Nate769
All Star

i'm a contractor myself. This isnt poor handymen, its a cheap @$$ homeowner, who should have never been doing it himself. Dont get me wrong, anyone can properly roof, its just the guy obviously didnt have a clue how to do it.
IMO this is what makes him a poor handyman! If you don't know what your doing, hire someone who does. Yes I understand the whole economy thing, but if someone ever tried that here and had to claim something on insurance. They would be screwed! I am an electrician by trade, so I see it all over the place. People who think they can wire a plug or a light and screw things up. Then I have to come around and figure out what they have done wrong because insurance would not cover it.

Its a little off topic but I think this has to do with lots of places like home depot (I don't know if you have that there in states...but basically home improvement place) I was picking up some receptacles when someone walked in with a range plug with 3 wires on it. Wondering where he went wrong with hooking it up! I couldn't help to listen in, but he said as soon as I turned my stove on I smelt smoke. I'm sorry but that's a 40amp plug and you think its just as easy as hooking a few wires on it? He just pulled a normal 3 wire plug out, cut out the wall and mounted this range plug in. He only had #14 wires to it. They are only good for 15amps, this was 40! They guy could have set his house on fire just because he wanted to save cash like you say. But I still believe it makes him a bad handyman. Just cause you can do it, doesn't mean you should...

Old 12-02-2011 | 05:07 PM
Nate769
All Star

my point

Also I do have to chime in that we got those winds not a week later, and even we had shingles fly off, the winds were HORRIBLE. So I have to give the guy some credit, but it depends on how many flew off. If you can count a dozen well the winds were that bad. (read at 132km/h!) But if the whole side your house came off then ya, the guy screwed up.

Old 12-02-2011 | 07:49 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

haha, I hear ya on home depot and lowes. "dont hire a pro, we have the parts and with our staff who only puts parts on the shelf, we should be able to figure it out!". Its funny because home depot's latest ad starts with a man putting his ladder at more than a 45 degree angle above his second story window to hang a wreathe. now putting the ladder at that low of an angle is beyond unsafe, and here home depot, the home know it all place, is showing that to the entire country. I mean come on now! so now if any home owners was wondering how to safely use their ladder, monkey see, monkey do.

Old 12-02-2011 | 08:04 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

I'm sitting here laughing my *** off wondering what the "Professional Dodge Trained Mechanics" would have to say about us do-it-your-selfers mechanics. HA HA!

Old 12-02-2011 | 10:22 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I'm sitting here laughing my *** off wondering what the "Professional Dodge Trained Mechanics" would have to say about us do-it-your-selfers mechanics. HA HA!
there is a difference between guys who are hobby mechanics that can usually figure things out (IF they don't know what EXACTLY they are doing) Then the guy who thinks a Canadian tire all in one self adjusting socket wrench is the best thing known to man! and that vise grips to pull that nut off are the only things you need :P

At least most selfer mechanics like many here know that those tools are junk and can properly identify a 5/8 or 3/4 socket HAHA! And that the little cross screwdrivers are not x heads or star heads, they are Phillips!

There is Robertson too, but I would not expect many of you guys to know what that is :P common Canadian joke (sorry had to throw that in there!)

Old 12-02-2011 | 11:32 PM
Midnite-CTD
|
Amateur

Well the good news is, my truck goes in on the 19th. The estimate for the damages was just over $2300 and they are going to replace the hood, so I am happy about that at least...

We had some pretty big winds again last night, and it appears he didn't lose anymore, so i'm hoping this means he got it all fixed up. (I would hope so since he claims he has used at least 40 tubes of blackjack as well three trips to the store for more nails!)

When I said he didn't tab it, what I meant was he didn't put adhesive under the edges or corners of the shingles to keep the wind from getting up underneath them. All of the contractors i work with make this a standard, especially on west facing rooftops (prevailent winds here) and usually on the north and south sides too if it is later in the season and the roof won't be seeing much hot weather and sunlight.

For the most part, I agree with all of you about the handyman issue. I try to do as much as I can on my own home to save a buck or too, but I know my limits and when it is time to bring in a professional. The story of the guy with the range receptacle really gets me, as I am an electrician by trade. While I agree that a lot of electrical can be done by the average homeowner , I fear that many don't fully understand the consequences of doing it wrong.

My problem with this guy is, he is running a licensed handyman business. (In all fairness, it doesn't say roofing on his business card!) He lost over half of the shingles on his roof. This is the job he did on his own house. What kind of job would he do on the one his family didn't have to live in? I won't even start on that fact that his card states he is qualified to do 'basic electrical'...

Quick Reply: 100 km/hr wind gusts + crappy roofing job =