4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

ram express 4x2 vs 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
duke58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram express 4x2 vs 4x4

Not sure what truck to get fuel milage is better 4x2 but resale not as good. Is reg cab worth the savings?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duke58
Not sure what truck to get fuel milage is better 4x2 but resale not as good. Is reg cab worth the savings?
Depends on what your going to use the truck for and where. I live in Canada and this year alone I have used 4x4 more then a dozen days due to the crazy snowfalls. Yes sometimes i probably didn't need it but put it on anyways. So for me 4x4 is pretty much a must. Now said that, if your living in a place with no snow, and the truck is going to see nothing but pavement. Then no on the 4x4 of course. But I will say this, 4x4 is so nice to have. Yes it holds its re-sale better, and in the case where you need the 4x4 its there, because you just never know. Fuel mileage is a little bit less for sure, but IMO 4x4 is worth the extra. The amount of fuel difference is hardly noticeable in the short run, in the long run yes it could start to add up.
I do have a recommendation on top of this, and I say this to everyone else too. Make sure your going to get the anti slip diff, and 3.92 gears. You will thank me later. These are two MUST HAVES IMO...

As for the reg cab, I would never own one. This is just me, but thats because I do on occasion take people with me. Again that being said I do not have the crew because I don't haul people enough. So I have the quad, and for the times that I do carry passengers it does just fine. Not to mention I do have room in the cab to put my belongings instead of having them in the box.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 PM
duke58

We live in the St Louia area and we do get some snow here every season. I work construction so mud is an issue at times Both the4x4 n 4x2 im looking at have posi track with the 3.92 gears. Your right about the Ouad cab, a guy needs room for stuff
I just hate to put out the extra bucks for quad or crew The 4x4 express im looking at
is $22700 plus tax n all. $30400 msrp

Old 12-19-2011, 10:32 PM
duke58

Im sorry I checked window sticker it says nothing about gear ratio. How do I find out what ratios in the truck?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Owensue
Veteran

Check the sticker in the glove box or ask the salesman.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by duke58
We live in the St Louia area and we do get some snow here every season. I work construction so mud is an issue at times Both the4x4 n 4x2 im looking at have posi track with the 3.92 gears. Your right about the Ouad cab, a guy needs room for stuff
I just hate to put out the extra bucks for quad or crew The 4x4 express im looking at
is $22700 plus tax n all. $30400 msrp
posi track is standard on anything 2011 and up. This is the electronic traction control. I do believe tho that only the mid and higher models come with the button to disengage it. Its a little car that looks like its sliding and its right below the vents next to the 4 way flashers in case you go looking for it.

You need to talk with your dealer and make sure that it has the limited slip diff, and its good that they are a 3.92. They should know exactly what your talking about. If they don't, I question how they are still in business.

I always think of it this way. If your going to look at the reg cab without 4x4, and you are still looking at getting into a quad cab and really want to. Your never going to be happy with your reg cab. Get what you want right from the start or your going to be sorry later. It might cost you more up front, but why pay for a truck that your not happy with? If moneys an issue then I would wait. Its harder to get into a truck that your tossing heads on and upgrade right after because you don't like it, then just to get into one you want. Its always easier to downgrade. Not to mention your trucks going depreciate right after you put your signature on it. Just get what you think you want from the start. IMO

Old 12-20-2011, 06:26 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

wow, never seen a window sticker without the gear ratio and 'anti spin' if it is equipped.

Crawl under truck and on right rear axle is the axle tag ( between rear diff and right wheel ). It should have the ratio on it as well as if it is a 4x4, there is a tag on the front diff cover. At least mine and a few other trucks I looked at had them in these places.

As far as 4x4 or 4x2, my 02, I would not own a truck without it being a 4x4 w/ ls diff.

Traction control and limited slip are not the same, I would go with limited slip, or as it was put on my window sticker - 3.92 , anti spin. Traction control using the brakes to slow down the wheel that spins and may also cut power to the engine. Good for a lot of conditions, not if you are stuck and can get it moving just a little bit while spinning. That's when you appreciate the limited slip and not the open diff. Fulltime posi track would be the best though but where do you find a new truck with this anymore ?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 PM
rickit
Amateur

i just bought an 2012 quad cab 4x4 express last month 24760.00 plus tax,3.55 gears it has the switch for traction control and it does spin both rear wheels when turned off,i had a 02 chevy 2500 4x4 for 5 years that i pulled a camper with sold the camper and no longer needed the heavy gas guzzleing 6.0,10 mpg,bought an 08 silverado 2wd for gas mileage,never was happy with it, after six months i traded for this express man do i love it, i want 4x4 if i only use it once a year, this isnt my dd so gas mileage wasent an issue with me as long as it gets aleast 15 mpg and thats about all i seem to be getting

Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd get the 4x4 even if you dont think you need it. One day you will.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:57 AM
red2011bighorn
Rookie

yeah in my opinion if you think you might need it i would get 4x4.

Quick Reply: ram express 4x2 vs 4x4