4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Considering Used Ram 1500 as first pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Doc7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Used Ram 1500 as first pickup

Hello, first post here!

Never been a pickup truck owner but I've always wanted one, not really for offroading though...just a "want to have at some point in my life" kind of thing. Will be mostly used for a 25 mile each way commute to work, occasional lumber etc for DIY projects. I currently drive an infiniti g35 that gets 20 to the gallon the way i drive so not too concerned about mileage losses.

I've looked at a bunch, new used etc and have figured out I can't afford new, I'm looking to spend 28-30K max.

I have found a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab Big Horn edition, 4x4 with the HEMI ...it has 55K miles on it, carfax is clean. Dealer wants 26K..

a) That's a lot of miles, i've usually only bought small cars with under 25-30K miles on them. It was first bought in fall 2009 so that is 27.5K miles per year. Any thoughts on that, and upcoming maintenance issues? I've never owned an American vehicle either so i'm a little leery of all the rumors (myths?) about reliability compared to my Honda and Nissan cars.

b) The G35 has a pretty small backseat. Anyone able to compare how big it is relative to the Quad Cab? I know it's no Crew cab but if i don't go even smaller than i already have, then it's not a concern at all for me.

thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Doc7; 12-20-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Darek117
Rookie

I hear talks on here about 2011s brand new being about your range to make room for 2012s. I would look into that.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A) I think there are much better deals out there as derek said...just keep looking, im sure you could walk off with a 2010 or 2011 for the same price. Just depends on your options you want I guess...
a)As far as trucks go your so much better off with american truck. The Americans own that world for the most part. The bigger thing is price! Just to get into a newer import truck its going to cost at least that of your big horn. That is just for basic manual everything. I have a 2011 sport, for me to get into an import, I might as well just get into a 2500 diesel. They cost just about the same, and I get more truck for my money. I know just to get into a brand new 2012 nissan, you start at 40 grand, thats BASIC. That extra money can buy a lot of options...

B)I have a quad, some days I wish I had a crew cab. The crew gives you an extra 1.5 feet of foot space and a higher cab. I could not justify the extra 5 grand just so I could haul passengers around every so often. I can fit pretty big guys in here just so long as the seats are moved up. I would not want to drive 300k like that but its alright just for odds and ends. Can't really compare that to your car but thats what my quad feels like.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

I like my quad I feel it has plenty of room. My uncle rode in the back seat when my family and I went on vacation to Colorado over the summer and he had no complaints. My cousin and brother also frequently ride in back when we go paintballing throughout the year and I've never heard them complain either.

Undoubtedly the crew cab would be more comfortable with the extra space but I find having the extra bed space is much more useful than having an extra foot of interior space. It's all about preference though. Oh and $26,000 for 55k miles is too much IMO. I would look at a new 2011. No miles and a warranty is always a plus.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:43 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Personally I had a '05 Sport QC before my '09 Sport CC, and I sort of miss my QC. I would of rather had the extra bed space, even though there's a lot more cab space in CC, I never had any issues with the QC. I always had for adults in my QC driving around, going on trips, never an issue.

I actually felt there was more space in the rear seat with knee room then was in the second row of my '07 Explorer. the only reason I have the CC is because I wanted an all Brilliant Black Sport model, and the incentives were great, lifetime powertrain, end of year clearance, and the closet BB Sport was 400 miles away, do they delivered it for me. Otherwise I would have gone the QC route.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't believe how the prices have jumped on the 4th Gens. The man is talking he can spend $28-30k max so he can't afford new.
My cousin bought a leftover '08 3rd Gen Hemi, QC, ThunderRoad, 4x4 when the 4th Gens first started pulling on the lots for just over $24,000 after tax- brand spanking new!!! Sticker on it was $41k.

$26k is STUPID money for a 2010 with 55k on it, IMO. I was at my dealer a couple of weeks ago to buy new manifold bolts for my Jeep (yeah, 4.7 and they snapped!!!) and they had an '09 4x4 Hemi on the lot with $21,995 on the window. I have no ideal of mileage or anything...

Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Doc7
Hello, first post here!

Never been a pickup truck owner but I've always wanted one, not really for offroading though...just a "want to have at some point in my life" kind of thing. Will be mostly used for a 25 mile each way commute to work, occasional lumber etc for DIY projects. I currently drive an infiniti g35 that gets 20 to the gallon the way i drive so not too concerned about mileage losses.

I've looked at a bunch, new used etc and have figured out I can't afford new, I'm looking to spend 28-30K max.

I have found a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab Big Horn edition, 4x4 with the HEMI ...it has 55K miles on it, carfax is clean. Dealer wants 26K..

a) That's a lot of miles, i've usually only bought small cars with under 25-30K miles on them. It was first bought in fall 2009 so that is 27.5K miles per year. Any thoughts on that, and upcoming maintenance issues? I've never owned an American vehicle either so i'm a little leery of all the rumors (myths?) about reliability compared to my Honda and Nissan cars.

b) The G35 has a pretty small backseat. Anyone able to compare how big it is relative to the Quad Cab? I know it's no Crew cab but if i don't go even smaller than i already have, then it's not a concern at all for me.

thanks for any advice!
a) Look at the service manual and then find out which services they have had done. Should have had a plug change, couple diff oil changes and its coming up on a transmission fluid change. Other than general maint I havn't had too much trouble with mine

b) You can see all the dimensions for legroom and backseat dimensions on sites like carpoint. Best bet is to just sit in each one and decide for yourself

Just realize that it is a truck, and if all you have ever owned is little cars then you will need to get used to the ride and how a big vehicle drives. The rams ride pretty decent but its still nothing like a small car. SO test drive and make sure you can live with it before you're back here complaining about it

The 26K seems insane for a truck with 56K on it. I paid just over 28K for my 09 2wd SLT Hemi Crewcab brand new.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Everytime winter comes around, used truck prices always get driven up.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
Everytime winter comes around, used truck prices always get driven up.
Which is kind of funny since just about any front wheel drive car works better in the snow than a pickup truck

Old 12-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would bargain w/ them on a price that's really high IMO....I got a 2009 RAM 1500, QC, Big Horn, 4x4, HEMI w/ 7,800 miles on it..OTD tax, tag, title in NJ for $24,030 in late March this year. I traded in my 2001 Ranger w/ 140,000 miles on it so my trade in wasn't that much. They were originally asking 28,900 for it plus tax, title etc etc....I got them down to 24,030 OTD...Good luck, let us know what happens!

Quick Reply: Considering Used Ram 1500 as first pickup