4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

It just keeps getting worse for Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:02 PM
rambob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Well I've got an ex brother-in-law I still talk to on occasion (which is amazing since I haven't spoken to my ex-wife since 2007). He is a mechanic at a Ford dealership and owns a Ram Megacab. Last I talked to him I think he said they had seven new designed F-150s on the lot awaiting back-ordered transmissions and it's a relatively small dealership.

Fords will ALWAYS outsell GM & Dodge, they have a crazy, stupid following. I have probably 25 or more Ford truck owners in my hunting club, a good bit of them who have gone through more issues than ANY Ram owner I know and almost every one of them will replace their truck with another Ford. Will sit there and argue with you just how much better they are than my Ram even while their truck is sitting at the dealer awaiting a part for a month while mine is parked outside our clubhouse.

I've owned two Ford 4x4 pickups. A 7.3 diesel which aside from eating ball-joints was a great truck. I had a '97 F150 bought new in '97 that dropped a piston with 14k miles on it. It was that truck and the shady way Ford & my dealer chose to go about the repair that had me swear off Furd for life.

My two Rams, the '98 I replaced the turd Furd with and my current '04, both new off the lot have been almost 100% problem free - for me anyway. I do know the guy who bought my '98 (which I traded in with 68k on the clock) had the plenum go on him soon after he bought it. My '04 was in for a bad shock in the seven plus years I've had it. ONLY WARRANTY REPAIR. But I'll also have to admit that I know the potential problems of this truck and have modded/upgraded these components before they could become an issue. For example my stock LSD was yanked in favor of an Auburn unit when my truck only had 19k miles on it...
To tell you the truth, if I was buying a heavy duty diesel pickup, I would buy the Dodge.
But while we're telling stories about people we know. I know 3 here at the plant that own
F250/F350 diesels ranging from mid late 90's to I think a 2007 or 08. They pull fifth wheels
one guy pulls Angus cattle in his f250 probably way over the weight he shoud be pulling.
He has a bully dog tuner in it. No transmission problems yet. He does say the milage sucks
compared to his older Ford diesel though.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:57 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rambob
No body's bashing anyone or anything. it's just a fact. Dodge is third in light truck US built market share for a reason, hat reason is fuel economy vs capability. Now has Dodge gotten better? Sure. But they still have a reputation for sucking fuel, more so than Ford or
GM. I believe that of the three US makes Chevy's are the built the cheapest. Ford and Dodge are pretty close IMO.
When I was looking for a new truck I drove Ford and Dodge for that reason, I didn't even
look at Chevy/GMC even though they have the best reputation for fuel economy. But Chevy still beats Dodge in resale value, with Ford being at least as good if not better than Chevy.
I drove a new 5.0 F150 a couple months ago, and it felt stronger/more responsive than the hemi powered Dodge I last drove, and the new 5.0 powered 2wd F150's get the same milage as my little 4.6 2 valve.
And as for transmission issues my 04 Ram with 105K miles on it to this day will sometimes
when cold shift so hard from 1st to 2nd the drive train (rear end?) will clang. But never a real transmission or any other drive train problems. I think some, and I mean at least part of the transmission issues reported by F150 drivers are probably not realy issues at all.
The F-150 may have "felt" stronger to you but I have laid waste to a new F-150 5.0, not close by any definition. The driver was such a douche that (after I hit the brakes and "waited" for him) he flew by holding down his horn and flipping me off. Then a few weeks back I handed a freakoboost his ***, it was just as lopsided but that driver was at least a good sport. The Hemi continues to embarrass the F-150 and now Fords transmissions have taken a back seat to Mopar as well. The Ford forums are full of accounts of new transmission failures, and they seem unhappy issues to me.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:59 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
It serves them right for all the false advertisment bashing the hemi. Screw Ford and everyone on here who joined in on the bashing.
I Could not agree with you more, Fords new Hemi killer turned out to be a tranny killer at best LOL

Old 12-26-2011, 01:24 PM
rambob
Rookie

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
I Could not agree with you more, Fords new Hemi killer turned out to be a tranny killer at best LOL
Where is the proof? Other than a few posts on a truck forum? Where is the recall.
Not saying there's not an issue. I've been looking and listening for evidence of
this Ford trans. issue being as bad as some say and I haven't seen it.
Hell, I remember when you couldn't buy a used Chrysler mid size car or mini van in the
early 90's with out a pretty good chance the trans was bad. And it seemed like a lot of
the second gen. Rams had some tranny issues. I'll say it again, I'm not realy knocking Dodge, but when someone here or on one of the Ford forums say's something like the
first post in this thread, I'm going to call B.S. and ask them to prove it.
I said before I like my Dodge too. But the fuel milage sucked compared to my Ford, and
don't get me started on resale/trade in value.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to MotorTrend's website http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2011/ford/f_150/recalls/
There aren't any recalls for the "transmissions blowing up" just for the "brake interlock switch" and two others for the 2011's. So the transmission issues people are talking about haven't been issues a recall as of yet....

But if you go to Lemon Laws website there are people talking about it on there as well... http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/de...ssion-shudder/

It's a known problem just no recall for it "yet" atleast.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:18 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Where is the proof? Other than a few posts on a truck forum? Where is the recall.
Not saying there's not an issue. I've been looking and listening for evidence of
this Ford trans. issue being as bad as some say and I haven't seen it.
Hell, I remember when you couldn't buy a used Chrysler mid size car or mini van in the
early 90's with out a pretty good chance the trans was bad. And it seemed like a lot of
the second gen. Rams had some tranny issues. I'll say it again, I'm not realy knocking Dodge, but when someone here or on one of the Ford forums say's something like the
first post in this thread, I'm going to call B.S. and ask them to prove it.
I said before I like my Dodge too. But the fuel milage sucked compared to my Ford, and
don't get me started on resale/trade in value.

The pumps in the new Ford trannys are failing right and left for one thing, there is a TSB out for it. A quick scan of the F150 forums produces tons of complaints of actual owners having their trucks in the shop after a few miles. If you care to look, you will find them. I found all this in a few minutes, quit being so lazy and look for yourself...or dont you like what you are finding?

SSM21905-some 2011 f-150, expedition/navigator and 2012 mustang with the 6r80 automatic
transmission built after april 15, 2011 may exhibit a transmission fluid leak from the bellhousing area. This may occur at low miles or during pre-delivery road test. If this concern is present, replace the transmission pump assembly part number 9l3z-7a103-a, o-ring al3z-7a248-a and bolts 6l2z-7n134-ba following the online version of the workshop manual (wsm) procedures in section 307-01 of the appropriate wsm and service labor times standards for repairs. Note: Be sure to check the packing date of the of the pump assy (7a103) on the part number
label, if packaged in may 2011, do not install that pump

SSM21905-some 2011 f-150, expedition/navigator and 2012 mustang with the 6r80 automatic transmission built after april 15, 2011 may exhibit a transmission fluid leak from the bellhousing area. This may occur at low miles or during pre-delivery road test. If this concern is present, replace the transmission pump assembly part number 9l3z-7a103-a, o-ring al3z-7a248-a and bolts 6l2z-7n134-ba following the online version of the workshop manual (wsm) procedures in section 307-01 of the appropriate wsm and service labor times standards for repairs. Note: Be sure to check the packing date of the of the pump assy (7a103) on the part number
label, if packaged in may 2011, do not install that pump

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...x-3-weeks.html

"There's been a lot of postings regarding faulty pumps in the 2011 transmissions. Seems to be happening on the EB models and within a short period of time. Leaking is the issue. Search forums and you'll see plenty. Suddenly the 2009-2010 transmissions don't seem so bad! "

"We had one come in the she shop a few weeks ago with a harsh 2-1 downshift when coming to a stop. Turns out the intermediate clutches were not made to spec and they wouldn't release correctly. New clutches fixed it."

"You'd think after all these years Ford could build a decent powertrain. They still can't build a tranny to save their lives and thier engines have left allot to be desired."

"Ford's powertrain has always been the weakest part of their trucks by a longshot. It's amazing people have been so Brand loyal to them."

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-ec...-issues-99732/

"Update. My replacement pump came in today and its of then same defective batch and they cant install it. In fact, then correct part is on "national backorder" which means nobody knows when it'll be here. They hope to have an answer for me when I return from vacation in 10 days. That's right, I said answer...not fixed. The dealer has an FX version of my XLT which stickers for almost 5k more. I offered to give them a check for $ 1, 500 if they let me have it. it has more options than I want, but was willing to pay a portion of the difference. They refused my offer. I asked for my money back, they ignored my request. So, here I sit without my truck and have no idea when I'll get it back."

"I'm starting to regret my purchase. GM wouldnt have treated me this way. I called Ford CRC and they apologized for my inconvenience."

"I wouldnt worry about it. Ford knows its a problem, and is taking care of it."

"Any update on your tranny issue? My 2011 ecoboost FX4 has 650 miles and is leaking tranny fluid. I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow to have it checked out."

"Well I have just over 600 miles (1100 km) on mine and the tranny is getting replaced. Spilled its fluid all over the work service bay. I was so proud to have my shiny new truck until it made me look like an ***. They took it away on Thursday and I have to wait until tomorrow to get a rental because they were unsure if it was a warranty issue or not. Sounds like a common problem especially if there is a TSB on it already. Any idea where I could find a copy of said TSB? The most dissapointing part is the ****ty service I've received seeing as they already have my money!! They should have dropped off a rental when they picked up my truck. It was twelve hours old ffs!! Not impressed with Ford service at all right now. "

Old 12-26-2011, 03:40 PM
rambob
Rookie

Ford f150 sales for 2011= 516,639 units sold. 3 recalls one of which is for the trans (16,091 units) total units affected by all three recalls 38,850 or 7.5 % of total units sold.
Total Ram 1500 units sold 218,750, 1 recall affecting 60,382 units or 27% of total units sold. So Ford sells more than twice the number of trucks but has 1/3 the recall rate?
And I'm still not saying one brand is better than the other reliability wise because I don't beleive these numbers alone tell the whole story but, it sure as hell would make a truely
objective person stop and think.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Truckerman
Rookie

Do you guys need ford to look bad for your ram to look better? Cause I sure don't. Who cares what's happening to the F150.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:15 PM
rambob
Rookie

I need tell all of you that I am truly, truly enjoying this!

Old 12-26-2011, 04:17 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need tell all of you that I am truly, truly enjoying this!
It is kinda funny

Quick Reply: It just keeps getting worse for Ford F-150