4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Flowmaster Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM
jbusch720
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Advice

I recently installed the Flowmaster cat back exhaust system on my 2009 Ram 1500. I think it comes with the 50 Series HD muffler. The cab drone is terrible at low RPMs and is going to drive me crazy. It is especially bad when the MDS kicks in. I called their customer service line to see what could be done about the drone, and they recommended that I install their Pro Series Shorty before the muffler to act as a resonator. I have never heard of installing a resonator before the muffler, and can't see how this would work. I don't want to shell out any more money if this isn't going to solve the problem. Has anyone ever heard of doing this before? Would it work? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of people doing this before and it did not eliminate to much of the drone, Best bet pull it off, sell it make some $$ back on it and purchase another Cat Back or keep the CatBack piping and replace the muffler to another brand....

honestly thats what you get though when you go w/ flowmaster. They have that obnoxious loud sound to them, and normally have power loss. If you want a mellow deep rumble quite when cruising go w/ Magnaflow. I have magnaflow Cat-Back on my truck w/ a free flow y-pipe its got a nice growl upon start up and quites down, then highway minimal drone then when I stomp on it, it GOES and GROWLS!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM
2011BlackRam
Professional

The Magnaflow on my Ram drones a lot more than the 40 series Flowmaster on my Jeep does. Its almost unbearable on the highway if there is any load put on the engine, particularly when the MDS is on. I would take a ride in someones truck that has a Magnaflow first before going with them. I got the Mufflex kit that everyone rants and raves about and there is a lot of droning. Even with the radio turned up rather loud I can still hear the exhaust.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM
464jet
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2011BlackRam
The Magnaflow on my Ram drones a lot more than the 40 series Flowmaster on my Jeep does. Its almost unbearable on the highway if there is any load put on the engine, particularly when the MDS is on. I would take a ride in someones truck that has a Magnaflow first before going with them. I got the Mufflex kit that everyone rants and raves about and there is a lot of droning. Even with the radio turned up rather loud I can still hear the exhaust.
Just wondering if you had the magnaflow cat back system or just the muffler? I have the magnaflow cat back and the drone is very little and the hemi sounds great through that stainless mandrel bent pipe.Around town I turn the MDS off anyway, it aint saving gas in town.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a Flowmaster 50HD on my '04 (no MDS) and it droned like crazy plus it rusted out in no time. I've since also learned from a performance shop that the chambered design kills performance (they have a terrible CFM rate).
Pull it off and go with a non-chambered muffler like a Magnaflow, Borla, etc. I am currently running a Cherry Bomb Extreme - loud as hell, but no drone...

Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 2011BlackRam
Well what magnaflow muffler did you have? If you had the 14" then yes it's going to be loud, that's there loudest one. I had a standard drop in 24" magnaflow muffler and it wasn't that loud. Then I put in the Cat Back and it comes w/ a 22" muffler and it's not to loud and I don't have the stock resonators on either. I'll try and do an in cab video for the OP. Like Hammer said below w/ the flowmaster you will can see a performance drop due to the chambered design.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 464jet
Just wondering if you had the magnaflow cat back system or just the muffler? I have the magnaflow cat back and the drone is very little and the hemi sounds great through that stainless mandrel bent pipe.Around town I turn the MDS off anyway, it aint saving gas in town.
X2! It does sound great! I love my Maggy SS Cat Back exhaust! Do you have the 5" double walled tips w/ yours?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
jbusch720

I think I am going to try the Magnaflow 5 x 11 x 22 (28 total length). They also make a 5 x 8 x 24 (30 total length). What do you guys think would be the quietest of the two? Roar is not important to me, but I don't want to kill performance too much. From the sound of it, I may have killed performance already by choosing the Flowmaster. Thanks again for the insight!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

the 24" will be quieter than the 22" muffler. I don't foresee it being that much of a difference. Just check the inlet/outlet size of the muffler.

But let's say you had a 18" muffler vs a 24" muffler, the 24" would be much quieter due to having more packing around the center tubes down the length of the muffler to help dead some of the noise. Narrow long cases will always have more packed around then a large case would.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:29 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikeyyy and Hammer are on the money...!
Dump the "Slowmaster" and install the magnaflow.
The magnaflow 24" bolt-on would be my choice (No Noticable Drone w/24")
I would recommend going with the stainless, the stainless magnaflow will last alot longer.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Advice