4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What to do about storing stuff in a quad cab? good under-tonneau solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do about storing stuff in a quad cab? good under-tonneau solutions?

The one thing I forgot about when buying my truck is the complete lack of storage space. I've always had 2 dr trucks, and they have PLENTY of storage space behind the seats for a hitch, tow rope, jumper cables, hitch pins, some wrenches, screw drivers, etc. Additionally, I was about to buy a crew cab, which has those great floor storage spots.

Now the quad cab has no such space, and since I have the Alpine system, I only have one of the underseat storage spots which I'm lucky to hold a set of jumper cables.

I was looking at tool boxes, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a tonneau/tool box in one, so I want a tool box that can fit under my tonneau.

The most price effective option that doesnt look terrible or question if it will fit appears to be the Dee Zee Specialty Series Wheel Well tool Box DZ95P. ( http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/...5#.TwW9hdQV3ic )

Does this look like a good solution for $110 or so, or does anyone else have any other recommendations? I'd be willing to spend a little more for something better!

Thanks!

(PS. Sorry if you see me asking a LOT of questions. Just bought the truck yesterday and I'm accessorizing, but had a 2nd gen before so I've been on these forums for a while)

Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe a low profile tool box with a roll back cover. Put toolbox in normally and mount the reel for the top behind it.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Cmerritt84
Maybe a low profile tool box with a roll back cover. Put toolbox in normally and mount the reel for the top behind it.
Any idea how to tell if the lowpro will fit under a roll up tonneau? theres a lot of different "low profile" ones, and some still sit on TOP of the bed.

I went into a few shops, and no one had lowpros to see but could order one. I dont want to order one if I don't know if its going to fit or not. Thats exactly what I was hoping to do originally!

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

I just went ahead and ordered that one I mentioned before. We'll see how it goes!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Pull Ya
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a shallow tool box(5th wheel style) and installed it. I think it's about 11 1/2' tall x 58" long and will almost open completely under my Leer 800. I tried to insert a picture, but no luck.
Jay

Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

I got a rolling box, like this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7215_200377215

from home depot for half than they wanted online. makes it easy for me to carry most of my tools around.

then again, if you had 2 doors before, and now have a quad... back seat? throw a blanket over your seat and your good to go.

If I had a tool box, I'd have to take it out and re-install it once a week when I carry full loads. so I just keep a portable box

Old 01-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

I didn't know it at the time, but the one I purchased has top brackets that don't interfere with the bed...

In short, its very easily removable, which should be perfect!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 PM
C-RAM
Rookie

post pics of it installed!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

I'm working on it. I have the pics on my computer its just such a hassle to load onto the internet. I'll get around to it eventually!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Finally got around to loading pics up. Here ya go with the tonneau cover up:

Quick Reply: What to do about storing stuff in a quad cab? good under-tonneau solutions?