4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Perfect NIght Driving: Are the foglights better headlights than the headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Perfect NIght Driving: Are the foglights better headlights than the headlights?

So I was wondering why I always hear people complaining about the headlights. Of all the cars I've ever owned, which is about 28 in the last few years, these headlights are by far the second BEST. The only ones better were the HID projectors in my Camaro SS.

However, these are 50x better than the 2nd gen ram, better than the projectors I had for my 2nd gen ram, better than the HIDs on my fiero, better than the stock bulbs on my camaro LS, better than the lights on my jeep patriot, compass, F150, GMC Sonoma, 3000GT, etc.

However, I also realized last night that my opinion was purely formed only by running the headlights WITH the fog lights.

I turned off the foglights for the first time last night, and wow, do I see where the complaints come from.

I tried driving for a second with the foglights only, and I could see further, and more clear with the foglights ONLY than I could with the headlights only, and the two of them together were a perfect combination.

Has anyone else noticed the foglights are better than the headlights?

And I presume most of the people complainign about the headlights are those without the foglights?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have retrod projectors so I don't need to use my fog lights

Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
InterpunX
Captain

Most people complaining are probably the guys with the dual headlights, as opposed to the quads, i drove some rams with the duals and they are ****, its like having candles in front of your truck. I also have hid projectors for lowbeams, and when on the highway i use my foglights and bullbar lights for highbeams. The foglights are pretty amazing and they light up the ditches like you wouldnt believe, i get flashed all the time if i leave them on even on freeways, so yes they make a big difference. I never use my highbeams which are still halogen unless theres heavy traffic and i have to flick them on and off often.

Cmerritt what type of projectors do you have, did you get them done through jeremy and how are they (highbeam lowbeam in the same projector?) Reason i'm asking is because my Recon projectors aren't the greatest as for light output, i feel they should be better.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did my own. I use Acura TL projectors. They have a highbrdb in em too.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:12 PM
09RuffRam
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The duals are much worse then the quads. Even the quads feel brighter with fogs on then the high beams. I switched out my high beams for piia extreme whites and now the high beams are much nicer to drive with. Still not close to our lancer evo lights but apples to oranges there.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM
kpevin
Veteran

Either headlights arent that bad if you adjust them up a little. They come pointed at the ground (at least my 2010 and 2012 were) and are OK when the back is loaded down so the truck is level. Only problem when you adjust them up if you tow a trailer with some tongue weight they are pointed up too much and **** off oncoming drivers.

But yea the driving lights make a huge difference on these, some cars i had you couldnt even tell they were on but on these they make a difference for sure.

Quick Reply: Perfect NIght Driving: Are the foglights better headlights than the headlights?