4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

traction control makes lsd near obsolete for dd?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default traction control makes lsd near obsolete for dd?

So the one thing my truck didn't have that I really wanted was lsd... But I decided to risk it. After driving on an inch of ice today, I learned that the traction control essentially uses the brakes to create an lsd for daily driving.

Certainly not saying lsd is now useless, but for dd type driving in rough weather, the traction control really fills the role I was seeking for the lsd. I'm pretty impressed!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM
ThirteenthCurve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turn off TC during bad weather. Find it much easier to get around on ice and snow. But, it will still kick in even after I hit the button...kinda weird wish off was OFF!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

We had an inch of ice, and I saw a ton of cars sliding all over the place- I never even turned on the 4WD. I was driving both back roads and highway with 4W off.

The traction control light came on a LOT but I never slipped out of position.

And I race cars, so I certainly dont mind navigating skids/slides, but for a DD car, I'm not freaking out so much about not having LSD anymore, on my 2nd gen, LSD was a lifesaver. my first didnt have it and i'd just do one wheel slides. My 2nd with LSD was much better. Now my 4th gen without LSD does fine, so my personal anxiousness of not having LSD has gone to the wayside, even though I'm sure LSD is much better for mud/sand/gravel.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by ThirteenthCurve
I turn off TC during bad weather. Find it much easier to get around on ice and snow. But, it will still kick in even after I hit the button...kinda weird wish off was OFF!
I know on my camaros (Have a 2010 and 2011- I race camaros), press it and it turns it "off", which is really just a reduced form of it, and hold it for five seconds and it turns it "really off". I'm wondering if the ram does something similar?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
09RuffRam
Veteran

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
I know on my camaros (Have a 2010 and 2011- I race camaros), press it and it turns it "off", which is really just a reduced form of it, and hold it for five seconds and it turns it "really off". I'm wondering if the ram does something similar?
When in 2wd you can only push the button once. In 4wd you can hold it but it still will engage if the truck wants to. I pull the 40A fuse unde the hood and get rid of traction control altogether

Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by 09RuffRam
When in 2wd you can only push the button once. In 4wd you can hold it but it still will engage if the truck wants to. I pull the 40A fuse unde the hood and get rid of traction control altogether
Dosen`t that cause a MIL dash light to come on when you pull the fuse for the traction control...? It did on my 2010 anyway.
And i think the speedometer quit working too when i pulled the fuse.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM
09RuffRam
Veteran

i have the traction control light, abs light and esp bas lights on. all the gauges are working. mine is a 09. i hate the lights on but i can live with it. i had a chevy a long time ago. check engine light damn near burned out the bulb it was on so much

Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 AM
kddsRam
Veteran

I'd still rather have both, when in 2 wd, lsd to get you going, and TC to keep you going where you want to.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by kddsRam
I'd still rather have both, when in 2 wd, lsd to get you going, and TC to keep you going where you want to.
I'd rather have LSD too, but its not as bad not having it in 2011 as it was in 1998 was the point that I was getting at.

If I could have added it to my car at the option price, of course I would have taken it!

Quick Reply: traction control makes lsd near obsolete for dd?