4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Can the Hemi run on 87 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Save that load of horse hockey for someone who doesn't do engine repair. I'd say 40% of problems I see are ethanol related. You don't work for the government, do you?

Now granted in THIS section, you'll see next to no major problems from ethanol as by 2007 internals and lines had to be made to resist ethanol, but I've seen MANY gaskets, lines, etc. completely eaten away by ethanol in vehicles as new as '05.

By the way, between 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen owners I have compiled data of over 200 vehicles who have switched to ethanol free or are treating their E10 gas with one of about four products. Seeing about a 15% increase in fuel economy.

I quote this from a recent article on the subject:

“There is no massive PR machine working to point out the downsides of ethanol, like there is on the other side,” said Christa Westerberg, a lawyer in Stoughton, Wis., who has represented opponents of ethanol plants in Wisconsin.

Rick Kitchings, the mechanic in Georgia, said consumers simply should insist on pure gasoline for their small utility engines.
“Theoretically, avoid ethanol,” he said. “Avoid ethanol.”
And these 40% of problems you see - what are they? Eating old fuel lines and burning up pistons. No I don't work for the gov, but I do build plenty of engines Ethanol from an economic point is dumb, if we didn't have it here I wouldn't cry - but its not a mysterious bogeyman either. Most Ethanol issues are caused by engines that are in disrepair.

As for the ethanol treatment - increases of 15%??? How in the world do you think that is possible?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol.... same war, just a different battle

Old 03-05-2021, 04:03 PM
Munchdawg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
3rd Gen guys who have busted the skirting off their pistons and caused bent valves and cylinder damage ALL HAVE USED 87oct. I would highly reccomend NOT using it and sticking with 89 or better. Not a single engine failure from piston damage have been reported with the use of higher reccomended octane!

Sure a dealer can void warranty when they see busted skirting and signs of major predetonation! Overtime, predetonation carves gulleys into the top of the piston, almost like a hole punch has hit the piston surface hundreds of times. It's very easy to tell when someone uses cheap gas.
I run 89 in mine, and my oil is always 1,000%.....i DO NOT RAG ON MY TRUCK. I had a bent pushrod.....the famous "Hemi tick" oh, that's normal. MY FOOT!!! $6500 later......

Quick Reply: Can the Hemi run on 87 octane?