4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ram Towing Put to the test.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
No, Not really. 2011 f150...320hp/390ft.lbs(very comparable to 3rd gen) Actually, has less output than 3rd gen!
Does 4th gen tow better than 3rd gen, yes but the difference isnt a friggin miracle.

I knew I would step on someone's toes and potentially hurt feelings.....lol

Little difference yes, but it's a MUCH closer comparison that what OP is using which was my whole point! F250 weight and mid 90's low power compared to lightweight 1500 with much more power! Ofcourse it would do better.
I have Superchips advanced trans tuning for my truck which blows away stock trans tuning for shifting. The difference wasn't minor between trucks, it was major. I've towed without the tune and the stock Ram sucks. It's off the line power is terrible because of the trans gearing.

My whole point was that OP wasn't using fair comparison. Even with the greater HP/Tq numbers of 4th Gen, the newer F150's will pull better off the line. Sorry to say it. I think they are Fugly and would never own one, but they are just better trucks to tow with when comparing same year trucks! Not trucks 15yrs apart that are diff weights as well.
Sorry rereading my post it does come across with a bit of a condescending tone. Not my intention. The Ecoboost though does have two turbos spooling up on it though so I believe it makes quite a bit of difference.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM
oyen24
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BigBlueEdge, You said it right. You can pull that kind of stuff with no problems as long as your load on your trailer is distributed evenly over the trailer. The reason some of you had problems is because you either had the load on the trailer too far to the front or the rear. I have pulled that kind of load with my 09 CC sport many times and would not have an issue pulling them more. And in MY opinion comparing a 1/2 ton ford with a turbo would be like comparing a half ton with a diesel and saying it out pulls any half ton on the market. That's like comparing apples to peanuts.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 AM
GapRunr
Rookie

Originally Posted by xsparta11x

(Crew Cab has increased towing capacity over Standard Cab).
I'm pretty sure that works the other way around. The highest tow rating of any truck, assuming the same engine, differential and drive train (i.e. 2wd or 4wd) belongs to the bare bones basic ST regular cab long bed.

Adding a crew cab takes a few hundred pounds off the tow rating. Upgrading to a better equipped truck lowers the tow rating also. It all has to do with the GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight) of that chassis. Add weight with an extra cab.... lower the tow rating. Add weight with a decked out Laramie Longhorn.. lower the tow rating. Adding 4wd lowers it again.

The difference is minimal though....a Crew Cab 6 foot bed has a tow rating that is 250 pounds lower than a regular cab 8 foot bed.

Last edited by GapRunr; 03-04-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM
sumncguy
Veteran

I know this is old ... just catching up .. but the 3.92s will pull better than the 3.73s.. most evident on inclines. I havent pulled my 6k wet travel trailer yet with the new 2012 1500 CC 5.7/3.92s but would imagine no real problem (other than the crappy P tires the truck comes with).

Quick Reply: Ram Towing Put to the test.