4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mopar Chome steps

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012 | 03:28 PM
NAW42
|
Default Mopar Chome steps

Does anyone know where to find the Mopar 5 inch oval steps without having to pay over $500?

Old 03-27-2012 | 03:10 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by NAW42
Does anyone know where to find the Mopar 5 inch oval steps without having to pay over $500?

NAW,

If you have a Mopar part number perform a Google search on it. If your dealer is not willing to sell it to you for the price you are looking for there might be other dealers out there who will. I have run across many dealers and wholesalers offering Mopar parts on-line for under MSRP.

Old 03-27-2012 | 08:36 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
NAW,

If you have a Mopar part number perform a Google search on it. If your dealer is not willing to sell it to you for the price you are looking for there might be other dealers out there who will. I have run across many dealers and wholesalers offering Mopar parts on-line for under MSRP.
So true. I bought an entire grill assembly for my 09 from a dealer in TX much cheaper than I could down the road, even with shipping.

Old 03-28-2012 | 01:05 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by NAW42
Save your money on buying the factory step tubes, they wont last much more than 2yrs, and certainly NOT worth even half the price they get for them. (i know from experience, i`d never buy the factory junk again) After a year, the factory tubes with the plastic foot step will turn gray on you, they aren`t UV protected. The factory ones will pit and rust quickly too. Search the threads in here on the forums, ther are many complaints about the factory step tubes in how they dont hold up at all. Ther are several good aftermarket ones out there for less than half of what the factory ones are, AND, you can get them in 5inch stainless. They wont ever rot out on you like the cheap junk factory ones do. I`ve seen a few them on ebay all the time starting around $300/$350 and some of them have stainless mounts. I saw a few that said they bolt right up to the factory mount holes as well. If you go lookin on ebay for them, do your homework and ask the seller(s) alot of questions.

If you really have to have the factory tubes, try googling "Steve White Motors", i`ve bought from them in the past and they`ve always givin me halfway decent prices. I added a link below for you from ther ebay store. Its just an idea what they would sell them to you for. You`ll have to email them for your particular application. The link i added shows them for under $400 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-12-2011-2...item5ae4da9a8c

Great place that sells step tubes w/FREE SHIPPING + This is where i buy all mine at. Customer service has always been awesome..!
http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com...FQpjTAodllBo-A

Last edited by LU229; 03-28-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2012 | 04:00 PM
NAW42
|

Thanks for the info, I was not aware that the factory steps were junk.

Old 04-09-2012 | 11:24 AM
seigell
Veteran

The MOPAR Running Boards anre not necessarily "Junk". I've had the MOPAR Oval Extended ones (installed by the Dealer) since I picked up my truck 3yrs ago this week. No Rust. No UV Damage. And I am not just a Shopping Mall parker - There's about 1500 miles of moderate Offroading and Trailrunning in the 60K of Trailering, Towing, and Hauling.

Unless abused, the Mopar Side Steps do quite nicely - if installed well. But that can be a problem, because of the questionable design of the "Crush Nut" "Body-Wall" mounting. Since most 3rd Party Designs also need to also utilize the "Factory Mounting System", all are about the same...

Old 04-10-2012 | 10:48 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by seigell
The MOPAR Running Boards anre not necessarily "Junk". I've had the MOPAR Oval Extended ones (installed by the Dealer) since I picked up my truck 3yrs ago this week. No Rust. No UV Damage. And I am not just a Shopping Mall parker - There's about 1500 miles of moderate Offroading and Trailrunning in the 60K of Trailering, Towing, and Hauling.

Unless abused, the Mopar Side Steps do quite nicely - if installed well. But that can be a problem, because of the questionable design of the "Crush Nut" "Body-Wall" mounting. Since most 3rd Party Designs also need to also utilize the "Factory Mounting System", all are about the same...
Of course yours are still in good shape, your location says arizona...(just hasnt started to rust as quickly yet)...lol. You dont drive in the salt out there like alot of us do here in the northeast. Even though you cant see the UV damage, trust me, its there. Those PLASTIC steps & end caps are cheaply made, and with NO UV protection was blended into them when they were blow molded, so they WILL turn gray starting from day one in the sunlight. These factory step tubes are not stainless, i guarantee they WILL deteriorate. I`m happy for you that yours are holding up, most are not. Any factory ones that i`ve seen that are 2yrs an older ARE showing rust AND corrosion coming thru the chrome plating. The metal they are made from is poor quality as well as the chrome plating is pure garbage. For 2013, they now offer a stainless step board, not sure if these new ones will even fit 09 to 12 trucks or not, we`ll see. If they DO happen to fit, i still wouldnt pay the dealer price for them because i am sure ther are better quality stainless step boards out there for 1/2 the price that are likely BETTER quality, and the plastic parts ARE UV protected when it says so in the advertisement of some of the good aftermarket boards and tubes. It would be another stupid move on chrysler to make them stainless and NOT UV protect them, and that is more likely than not. UV protection costs money, i highly dought chrysler will step up and pay to have that process put into the product. Most people wont or dont care if they turn gray, so chrysler will skimp on that because they already know that. People care more if the rust starts showing up under the chrome plating though, you can see that easier than seeing the plastic turning gray. So in the end result, if i have to pay a high price for dealer tubes/boards, i would rather spend the full amount for better quality aftermarket tubes/boards than the factory has to offer. I DO agree with you about the "crush nut"..... that is a JOKE...!!!!

Last edited by LU229; 04-10-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2012 | 09:08 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

My truck lasted up in the salty north and had zero rust on them and then I posted them on this site and craigslist for someone to purchase. Bc I just flat out didn't want side steps anymore and sold them for $225 to someone locally. So my point is check on this forum in the "classifieds" section or on the other Dodge forums, craigslist, ebay or amazon.

Old 04-11-2012 | 09:21 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

psst... did a couple mins of searching.

replace ********* with dodge talk

http://www.*********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354698

Old 09-23-2012 | 10:30 PM
Mangy71

I got a pair of the Mopar chrome tubular side steps for my 2012 Ram. This is gonna sound like a dumb question - but do they put a plastic film over the chrome that needs to be peeled off? Mine have more of an aluminum finish, not really chrome. I couldn't tell if they had the thin plastic on them or not.

If they do have the plastic on them, how do you get it off with the plastic steps already on them?

Quick Reply: Mopar Chome steps