4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

bad paint job

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012 | 12:45 AM
rdculus
Veteran

Originally Posted by droppedbluram
I am actually having the same problem on my 2012 1/2 ton. the bottom of the passenger rear door is down to bare metal in certain spots, but only on the bottom 1/4 inch of the door. the service manager at the local dealer said it was rock chips but after further investigation the whole pass side from the fender to back of the rear door is completely f***ed up. dirt and dust in paint along with lint in it. The dealer took pictures for chrysler a couple weeks ago and they notified me monday that they were ok with painting the entire pass side of the truck. I'm not happy with that so i'm going for a buy back to hopefully get a new truck that isn't messed up. I only have 2400 miles on mine and the first time it was brought into the dealer was about 1200 miles.
Maybe have your dealer take pictures and see if they can submit a warranty claim thru chrysler.
Look at this guy would ya, Chrysler reviewed his problem and agreed to make the nessasary repairs to make it right but he ain't gonna let it go that easy. he needs a whole new rig! Well good for you bud.
It's kinda like when you build a new house and the front door squeaks, you don't just have the builder come adjust the door, you tear that mother down and rebuild it.
Or when you find a hair in your plate at the restaurant, you don't just let them bring you a new plate you fire the cook the waitress the hostess and the dish boy. Why should we put up with this crap.
I say good for you man bout time someone stood up to Chrysler always screwin us over and givin us the shaft. Lemme know how the new truck looks!!

Old 06-20-2012 | 08:09 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Paqint is the basicly the same on everthing being built these days. In fact Chrysler products may be this and that but bad fit and finish has never been a issue with them.

Old 09-10-2012 | 06:30 PM
snrmagic

I had the exact same issue on the hood of my 2012 2500. I had rock chip slightly smaller than a dime. Much larger than a normal chip. I also had two or three spots where the clear coat was flaking off. Finally a bird crapped on my hood, and the next day it had burned through the paint down to the metal. Took it to the dealer, and they repainted the hood. I have had no trouble with the rest of the body paint.....yet.

Old 09-22-2012 | 04:27 PM
LU229
Banned

Guys....

keep an eye on the sheet metal on the bed just ahead of the tailgate... mines 2yrs old, rotted already.
Goes in this tuesday for repair and paint. No, i`ve never had anything in the box but the factory paint.
I`ve never ever put ANYTHING in the box of this truck. The paint quality on these trucks just SUCK...PERIOD.
From what i was told, anyone with paint issues are getting very quickly approved thru chrysler now.

Old 09-22-2012 | 07:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

3M is getting rich off of the tree-huggers! EVERY forum for every vehicle has posts after posts about paint problems which started when the government mandated the use of these "environmentally friendly" paints.

Seems the "solution" in all of the aforementioned threads is to get the 3M clear film...

Old 10-18-2012 | 04:30 PM
nolimits
Rookie

The clear vinyl is simple, reversible, and it works, so that's why it's growing in popularity. I see what you're saying, though, Hammer...but I don't see the paint getting any better in future years.

Old 10-22-2012 | 06:34 AM
RocklandRam
Amateur

So Im waxing my 2012 Tradesman 1500, bright white, purchased in July for the first time this weekend and a find more than a few defects in the paint. On the roof there are 2 6" stretches that have lint or fuzz or something else stuck in the paint. I found a few spots especially on the rockers where the paint bubbled than burst leaving a big pit which Im sure will rust. I wi head to the dealer an see what they have to say next week.

Old 10-23-2012 | 12:15 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by RocklandRam
So Im waxing my 2012 Tradesman 1500, bright white, purchased in July for the first time this weekend and a find more than a few defects in the paint. On the roof there are 2 6" stretches that have lint or fuzz or something else stuck in the paint. I found a few spots especially on the rockers where the paint bubbled than burst leaving a big pit which Im sure will rust. I wi head to the dealer an see what they have to say next week.
Be careful what you wish for, it might end up a worse paint job when they`re done with it. Mine turned out worse after they painted it. (wasnt even a full fuggin week and the NEW paint bubbled up and started coming off the truck everywhere they painted it) I should have just let it be and just let it continue to rust... rust is easier to explain than a brand new bad paint job that isnt/wasnt, done properly. Alot of people disagree with me and say i b!tch to much on here. It would be a different story if it was THEIR truck though. Good Luck, i hope they do yours right. I would want to get some reference`s and talk to people that has had paint work done to their vehicle before you let them touch yours... i wish i had done that before they touched mine. Thats what you get when you try to trust people and their work.

Old 10-23-2012 | 12:28 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

I had a truck (GMC) that had some flaws on the left front fender, and I noticed it a week after I got it home. The dealer had their paint shop across the street from their lot and they did such a good job, that years later, the fender paint looked newer than the rest of the truck. Even though the truck had never been in an accident, that's the way it looked. I was not pleased because it affected the resale value.

Old 10-24-2012 | 06:25 AM
RocklandRam
Amateur

LU229 who repainted the truck and did you have a say in that.

Quick Reply: bad paint job