4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

bad paint job

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012 | 11:15 PM
12 diesel
|
Default bad paint job

just wondering if anybody has had issues with rock chips going down to metal and taking big chunks of paint on a 20012 2500 ram . Dodge wont fix the problem and its rusting .ive been to a body shop they told me bad paint job but they wont put it in writing. any info on the next step would help or just general info from painters

Old 06-01-2012 | 08:56 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by 12 diesel
just wondering if anybody has had issues with rock chips going down to metal and taking big chunks of paint on a 20012 2500 ram . Dodge wont fix the problem and its rusting .ive been to a body shop they told me bad paint job but they wont put it in writing. any info on the next step would help or just general info from painters
Small paint chips? if so, thats extremely common and the specific reason I went with a chrome bumper. The new paint laws require water based paints which simply don't work as well for environmental concerns. My Mercedes, Camaros, etc. are all covered in little chips off the front because of the modern paint practices. In fact the chevy dealer gets so many complaints about it they include a matched-color paint chip repair bottle with the purchase of a new car.

What me and most of my chevy friends (we race chevys) do is probably monthly or quarterly just repair all the paint chips to keep it from rusting. If it already starts rusting I use navel jelly first and then clean it off and then paint it. I'm not exaggerating when I say my 2010 camaro had 75-100 after 2 years, some on the roof, hood, sides, most on the front bumper. some almost the size of a dime, but 99% about the size of a pinhead. Fortunately my ram just has one or two on the hood but I attribute that to the chrome bumper and grille. On the MBs you can take it back to the dealer and they'll do it for you, but it still happens.

If your talking about bigger chunks, that may be an issue.

Old 06-01-2012 | 10:30 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Consider getting forward-facing surfaces on the front of the truck covered in 3M ScotchCal film. It does a very good job protecting the paint from these rock chips. I have driven for two winters in MN metro traffic with my 2010 Sport and I think I only have picked up two chips in that time.

Rob

Old 06-01-2012 | 01:16 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Clear bra. What you are describing has been like this for well over a decade with type paint used. You Could also use Rhino liner colored to match on those front surfaces. I've seen over the road tractors down at the Rhino liner dealer getting front of hood and such done. Rust has to be a rust through for warranty. Surface rust is not uncommon or covered.

Old 06-03-2012 | 09:44 PM
White2500
Amateur

My 2500 has the rockers chipped bad!!! About 100 of them between bothsides

Old 06-04-2012 | 12:12 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio

I put the 3m stuff on my rockers. You need that or flaps, especially if offroading or living in winter salt states.

Old 06-04-2012 | 01:20 PM
706jim
Veteran

If you think rock chips on a truck are bad, you should see what happens to the rounded undersides of a Camaro if you drive on gravel roads.

Old 06-05-2012 | 11:04 PM
droppedbluram

I am actually having the same problem on my 2012 1/2 ton. the bottom of the passenger rear door is down to bare metal in certain spots, but only on the bottom 1/4 inch of the door. the service manager at the local dealer said it was rock chips but after further investigation the whole pass side from the fender to back of the rear door is completely f***ed up. dirt and dust in paint along with lint in it. The dealer took pictures for chrysler a couple weeks ago and they notified me monday that they were ok with painting the entire pass side of the truck. I'm not happy with that so i'm going for a buy back to hopefully get a new truck that isn't messed up. I only have 2400 miles on mine and the first time it was brought into the dealer was about 1200 miles.
Maybe have your dealer take pictures and see if they can submit a warranty claim thru chrysler.

Old 06-06-2012 | 07:47 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Dealer if in good standing the SERVICE MANAGER (self approval) can take it on his own to refinish/repaint it. Unless things have changed in 90 days I've been told Chrysler has been telling service managers to take care of what they feel needs to be done and keep customers HAPPY. That policy has been in affect for past few years. Seems from reading here on this site not all (dealer service managers) do such.

Old 06-19-2012 | 11:41 PM
Midnite-CTD
Amateur

I agree with the 3M clear on the forward facing surfaces. Even on my black truck, I can hardly tell it's there, except on those mornings when the truck is covered in moisture. Since mine is my tow rig it sees a lot of back roads, and the 3M tape has saved my paint numerous times.

I'm gonna get my rockers armor guarded, since the truck is black anyway, but since it's not done yet, I have a lot of paint chips and they show through really bad. Almost makes me not want to wash it so I can't see em...

Quick Reply: bad paint job