4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Were The Worst !

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were The Worst !

Just read an article on the internet from the NHSA that claims that the Dodge Ram 1500 is the worst vehicle to offer side impact and rollover protection in the event of an accident,this statement surprised me, how can a vehicle that is so big can be so poor in these crash tests, I thought I was in a tank and never gave a situation like this a second thought, read the article at,

http://sympatico.ca/autos

Last edited by NoMoreGMsForMe; 06-01-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the hemi is so fast, it can be out of the way in an instant,
so they put more attention to other parts of the truck when it was designed.

sorry, i just had to....heheheheheeeee

I look at it this way, if its that bad of a design, i can think of alot worse vehicles to be in, in a crash, and NOT live thru it.

By the way, your link you posted, it does not work.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Originally Posted by No More GM's For Me.
Just read an article on the internet from the NHSA that claims that the Dodge Ram 1500 is the worst vehicle to offer side impact and rollover protection in the event of an accident,this statement surprised me, how can a vehicle that is so big can be so poor in these crash tests, I thought I was in a tank and never gave a situation like this a second thought, read the article at,

http://.sympatico.ca/autos
The link doesn'r work. Also you say you'll never own another GM but the article said Ram is the worse. No offense but it kinda sounds like a contradiction to me. I agree with what you say about never owning another GM, just tomuch other crap to put up with. JMHO

Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
LVRR
Veteran

This is news to me. My 2009 has side curtain airbags that are deployed in side impact crashes and roll overs. Pretty up to date safety wise. Are you sure they weren't talking about pre-2009 Rams.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

hmmm... And according to US news, the "2010 Dodge Ram has good safety scores earning five stars out of five for both driver and front passenger protection... ... from the federal government". The only area it struggles is rollover rating.

The problem with rollover rating? Its typically driver error that causes it.

So don't be stupid and the dodge ram is a very safe car

Per consumer reports, here's how the tests for rollover work:

How the government's rollover tests work
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducts on-road dynamic rollover tests on most new SUVs, pickups, and minivans. The tests score rollover propensity in part by putting vehicles through a handling maneuver called a fishhook, a quick left-right turn, at increasing speeds from 35 to 50 mph. This simulates a driver overcorrecting the vehicle's steering, something that can happen in an emergency.

If the vehicle lifts two wheels off the ground it's considered a "tip-up" and testing stops. If the vehicle slides out or gets through the test without incident at 50 mph, it passes.

Before 2004, NHTSA rated rollover propensity with a static (non-moving) measurement of a vehicle's shape and weight distribution. Called the Static Stability Factor (SSF), it's derived from a formula that compares a vehicle's track width with its center of gravity height. But starting with 2004 models, NHTSA added the dynamic (vehicle in motion) test, and the agency now uses those results to augment its rollover ratings.

NHTSA has compiled rollover ratings for scores of vehicles, including separate ratings for two- and four-wheel drive versions of SUVs. So far, no car or minivan has tipped up. In fact, NHTSA conducts on-road rollover testing on only two sedans per year and assigns star ratings to cars based on their SSF alone, as it did with 2003 and earlier models.

The scores. NHTSA combines the SSF and dynamic test to assign a rollover-resistance score of one to five stars. Five stars represents rollover likelihood in a single-vehicle crash at 10 percent or less; one star predicts a rollover likelihood of 40 percent or more. The SSFs underlying the star ratings vary from about 1.0 to 1.5. (The higher that number, the better.) SUVs usually measure out at 1.0 to 1.3, and cars normally fall in the range of 1.3 to 1.5.

"Our analysis indicates that the two tests together correlate with what we expect in the real world about 90 percent of the time," says NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson.

What the results mean. Many SUVs have tipped up in NHTSA's testing—understandable since the dynamic test is designed to provoke a tip-up if a steering maneuver alone can produce one. What is surprising is that a tip-up doesn't affect the star rating much. That's because the government's rollover ratings give much more weight to the static measurement than to the on-road test. NHTSA's rationale for this is that the dynamic test looks for an untripped rollover tendency, which NHTSA believes are rare in real life.

"We take the position that if a vehicle can tip up in a steering maneuver, without impacting anything else first, then that's a good reason to look for a less tip-prone alternative," says David Champion, director of auto testing for Consumer Reports.

"Even supposing that the ratings are good at predicting rollover propensity, you really need to go beyond the stars," says Champion. "There's a big range between the best and worst within each star category. CU will not recommend any vehicle that tips onto two wheels in this test."

NHTSA's rollover ratings can be found at www.safercar.gov. For specific information about a vehicle's star rating, click on "Search 5-Star Safety Ratings," then select the vehicle class, such as SUV, then its year, then the make and model. Scroll down to the heading Rollover, and a chart there will tell you whether the vehicle tipped (under Dynamic Test Result), and also its likelihood of rollover expressed as an exact percentage rather than a star.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...-101/index.htm

Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Owensue
Veteran

Reading the results from the 2011 testing, the 'new' measurements somewhat support OP's claim.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...?vehicleId=517

Poor rollover results, traction control recommended (and is standard). 3*
Side barrier impact results 5*
side POLE impact results. 1*( door impacted driver)
Poor front collision result 2*

Overall star rating 3* for the crew cab 4x4 (2wd had better rollover result but same overall)

Last edited by Owensue; 06-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 AM
oldjeep
Champion

So don't roll it over or get in a crash My other vehicle is a lifted jeep that could be rolled on command at highway speeds, so you don't do things that are going to cause a roll. I tell my kids when they are learning to drive, you have to decide wether what is in front of you is worse than the roll from the ditch.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Nate769
All Star

I think you have to take into account the safety standards that you are meeting tho. If you compare a 5 star rating now, to a 5 star rating 5 years ago. The standards are soo much higher. In all reality if you have earned say a 3 in a 2011 model and a 5 in a 2009 model, I would still feel more comfortable in the the new one. I rolled a 2008 ram 2 times over, (bad Roads) when it stopped it rested on the drivers side. I crawled through the drivers window and received a minor bump on the head. This was before side impact bags, so driving in the 2011 now I feel really safe.

Yes it could be "lower" then other models, but it still has to meet a federal safety standard. Which is pretty high today, not to mention the tests that they put these vehicles through are much more then you will probably ever get into. UNLESS you are a complete idiot and drive into a wall at 100km/h. Even roll overs, I'm sure the standard that they test it at, are much higher then you ever will get into. Again unless you are stupid and do as the previous poster said, "Roll on Command"
I could be wrong on this, but honestly do you feel unsafe in your truck?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

Originally Posted by oldjeep
So don't roll it over or get in a crash My other vehicle is a lifted jeep that could be rolled on command at highway speeds, so you don't do things that are going to cause a roll. I tell my kids when they are learning to drive, you have to decide wether what is in front of you is worse than the roll from the ditch.
Well said!! I agree!

Quick Reply: Were The Worst !