4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Whats the difference between these exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM
redlinercdn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the difference between these exhausts?

Hi guys, Ive been wanting to get an exhaust for my truck and finally decided to go for it. I have a 09 ram 1500 with a Hemi. My truck has a single exhaust stock and therefore lacks the bumper with the dual exhaust cutout. After much research I decided to go with a Magnaflow exhaust. I have a couple question though for those of you who know a bit about exhausts. I am deciding between the Dual exhaust catback system and the offroad pro series which turns down under the vehicle and I believe is quite a bit shorter than the duals. Is there gonna be a large difference is sound between the two or is this mainly preference on looks? I am wondering if the turn down will be louder and possibly too loud? My final question to you guys is I have been reading that its a good Idea to get a Y pipe as well to install before the cat back system. I was looking and saw there is X pipes as well, which is better the X or Y pipe?
Thanks!
Jay

Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 PM
redlinercdn

A little additional Info, The turn down exhaust is 14 inches long and the dual exhaust is 22 inches long

Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

Based on your stock setup, catbacks cheaper than true duals. You would not need an X pipe. But, if you mess with the Y pipe, the mandrel bent stainless steel 2.5 pipe pieces are a bit expensive. I found a few sections at a local auto parts place but they were like 30-40 bucks per section depending on how you fabricate the Y pipe in. You would need a couple sections just to get the Y pipe installed. I was surprised how crimped the stock Y pipe really is. Since you do not have the bumper cutouts, you can go with tail or exits behind rear wheels.

If I did not have the factory dual tails and after all the playing around with mine and also doing the Y pipe, if I did it again, I would just do true duals. There is lots of room under there.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

IMHO---If you exit under the truck they will be louder and the drone will be much more noticeable. A lot of people replace the "y" pipe because the stock one is more restrictive, althought no one is able to tell me if they actually gain any addition hp buy doing so(dyno results). I think you will be happier with the true duals and I think they have a better sound---once again IMHO.
Jay

Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 AM
artangeo

Not sure if it makes sense to anyone else BUT

Why not use an x-pipe muffler like the magnaflow DI/DO http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=12468

Cut off the factory Y-pipe, run duals back to the muffler and use stock dual out or any other configuration. Gets you the sound and flow for cheap no xpipe.

Anybody see any flaws with this?

Heres a sound clip:

Last edited by artangeo; 12-05-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 PM
TSRAM11

I have the mufflex 14 inch magna flow setup on my 2011. I had a custom tailpipe section made with the resonator removed. The is a clip on YouTube under tsz2402 on the search. Don't know how to post links like that up yet, sorry.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Quick Reply: Whats the difference between these exhausts?