4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Which of the 3 would you guys choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012 | 10:22 AM
john x 2

Hi oldjeep,
I'm 6'2" and yelp I can still see the problem as I stated. You have to remember that you have to reach over the bed rail then underneath the edge and in about 2" or so. Hard on the wrist. Then reach up and pull a cable streight down and hold it to keep the latch open then with your other hand twisting your body grab ahold the edge and quickly swinging the section up for the latches male connectors to clear the two latches female connector that the cable connects to on each side. I have figured out a way of making it a whole lot easer, especially for my wife who has to reclose it to lock then re-open it at the top of the launch ramps to back in and pick up the boat. Don't want to say just how here in print,but if it is not locked down tight a thief could easly walk with the whole top the way their engineers have it designed. And if they are stealing the 2" hitch/ball assemblies, by pulling beside the trucks. with in 15 seconds the whole top assemble could be gone. Have not solved that one yet >>>>>>

Last edited by john x 2; 08-30-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2012 | 10:32 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Guess I'm 6ft and have no issues with it. As for defeating the latch, a monkey could figure that out in about 3 seconds even if it is latched all the way. It only keeps the honest people out.

Why is your wife opening the cover to retreive a boat? IF she is seriously looking through the tailgate opening then teach her how to use the side mirrors.

Old 08-30-2012 | 11:04 AM
john x 2

Do you have the 20" wheels ? I learned to back using the mirrors after many years in Bass tournements and the need for expedency there at the ramp in the dark before sun up with many boat awaiting their turn. It is a whole different ball game then looking over your shoulder. But since she has never had to spend the time, and it takes that, she backs us VERY well even with guys waiting for her looking over her shoulder. Many times she get this, "My gosh if my wife could only do that good, I'd,,,,," So you see if some one is already very good at what they do, there is this mind set of avoiuding jack knives, shattered nerves, other people getting mad for her taking to much time, and above all her staying happy then to all of the compliments.

Now onto the top debate between you and I. You see no problem, I do,,,,especially coming from a roll top, and for the amount I spent I will strive to over come. I post just my preseption you have your'n.

Old 08-30-2012 | 11:17 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by john x 2
Do you have the 20" wheels ? I learned to back using the mirrors after many years in Bass tournements and the need for expedency there at the ramp in the dark before sun up with many boat awaiting their turn. It is a whole different ball game then looking over your shoulder. But since she has never had to spend the time, and it takes that, she backs us VERY well even with guys waiting for her looking over her shoulder. Many times she get this, "My gosh if my wife could only do that good, I'd,,,,," So you see if some one is already very good at what they do, there is this mind set of avoiuding jack knives, shattered nerves, other people getting mad for her taking to much time, and above all her staying happy then to all of the compliments.

Now onto the top debate between you and I. You see no problem, I do,,,,especially coming from a roll top, and for the amount I spent I will strive to over come. I post just my preseption you have your'n.
The difference between the truck with 17's and 20's is less than one inch of tire height, which translates to less than 1/2 inch at the bed rail I like the roll tops but in a crewcab with a short box I'm not willing to give up any bed space.

The only way you are going to secure a BAK cover from theft of the cover itself would be to use some special bolts to hold it to the truck and the cover to the frame. But we don't have any crime to speak of where I live.

I know it is hard to teach a wife things, but mine has no issues using mirrors to back in our trailer - around here looking over your shoulder would be a no-no on your drivers test so even the kids know not to do that - but whatever gets the job done.

Last edited by oldjeep; 08-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2012 | 11:19 AM
saberworks
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Question on that paragon cover - if you have something in the bed that slides forward, can you open the cover? It looks like it winds up inside the bed taking up the front foot or so. Taking up any bed space is a big problem for those of use with crewcabs - bed is short enough already.
The bakflip fibermax does not roll up into the bed, but it also doesn't move completely out of the way. So for example, if you wanted to haul something that was as long as the bed but stuck up higher than the rails, it wouldn't be possible (w/out leaving it hanging out the tailgate). It looks like mine protrudes about 6-8 inches over the bed area.

Old 08-30-2012 | 11:21 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by saberworks
The bakflip fibermax does not roll up into the bed, but it also doesn't move completely out of the way. So for example, if you wanted to haul something that was as long as the bed but stuck up higher than the rails, it wouldn't be possible (w/out leaving it hanging out the tailgate). It looks like mine protrudes about 6-8 inches over the bed area.
Yup, my F1 is the same way - although it is more like 4-5 inches. But you just undo the 2 thumb screws and remove the cover then toss it beside the load.

Old 08-30-2012 | 03:40 PM
john x 2
Default john x 2

",,,,,,,,,. - around here looking over your shoulder would be a no-no on your drivers test so even the kids know not to do that,,,,,,"

Do not know in which opart of the country you can make this statement. but you get a far better perfural vision by turning your body and looking at the direction you are going that relying on a set of outside mirrors. Put your state on this site and I would like to look up their rules on using the mirrors to back up.

Copied from the Missouri State drivers test.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Google It ,,,,,,,,http://dor.mo.gov/drivers/dlguide/

3. Backing.
You will be tested for:

• Looking over your right shoulder to see through the rear glass. <<<<<<<<<<.

• Whether your vehicle backs in a straight line or weaves.
• Staying in the proper lane of traffic.

• Backing at the right speed.

Last edited by john x 2; 08-30-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: an addition
Old 08-30-2012 | 06:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Question on that paragon cover - if you have something in the bed that slides forward, can you open the cover? It looks like it winds up inside the bed taking up the front foot or so. Taking up any bed space is a big problem for those of use with crewcabs - bed is short enough already.

The clearance is about 6.5" to the bottom of the cover that folds up in the first 1ft of the bed.
So, if you had an 6.5"stack of plywood slid all the way to the front, you can open and close the cover no problem.
If you have say, an 18" tall box anywhere but the front 1ft of the bed, you can open the cover/close the cover with no problem as it's that first foot or so that the height is cut to 6.5".
The cover takes up 8-10" up front when opened. I give the range bexacue it depends if you tie it tight or let it freeride "accordian style". Then you have another 3-4" where the cover moves before going up the ramp. Anywhere behind the ramp, you can have full height with no obstructions.
If you visit their website or go on Youtube, you can find video's and understand what I'm talking about.

Old 08-31-2012 | 10:32 AM
thirdram

I have the Undercover Flex. It is tri-fold and did not leak when going through a car wash. Very satisfied with it and it looks great on my black Ram. I think the covers are all pretty good but it is a personal choice. If you go to a spray in liner dealer, they will likely have a bunch of covers on display and you might be able to better determine what meets your needs. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2012 | 03:19 PM
Peragon
Former Vendor

jhinton81,

If you have any questions that I can help with, let me know. You can also call me, 877-473-7246 x1.

Quick Reply: Which of the 3 would you guys choose?