4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Thinking of Buying Dodge RAM 2012 or 2013

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 PM
rocky5
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my 2nd 2011 ram 1500...my first one was a quad cab sport, leather bluetooth 2wd...i loved it on trips and around town did all i could ask drove sooo smooth over ford and the steering on the chevy felt like a boat....i wanted extra room and a sunroof so i bought a used 4x4 laramie crew with every option rear dvd rambox heated and cooled seats etc....love it! Still cruises like a dream even though it is heavier than my sport.....i have done 2 long trips...over 600 miles each and it was awesome....i wasnt tired or wore out after 9 hours of driving...and the best thing is on my last trip i was avg 19mpg...hand calc avg 75 mph.....for some reason i got better mileage in my laramie than my sport by about 1 mpg....i dont know why....

Also..when i was first looking at getting a new truck before i bought my sport...i had a 06 2500 4x4 long bed....i drove all the new ones....ford..chevy..toyota..and nissan...the ram was the most comfortable and had the most power and proven motor...hope this helps

Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 AM
docargyle
Default I Bit The RAM Bullet

All,

As a result your personal experiences/guidance and the other threads on this fine forum, I went ahead and purchased a 2012 Longhorn crew cab, white over gold with the 5.7 Hemi ,6 speed transmission and 3.92 rear.

This thing has everything on it and is so smooth on the road!
Much quieter than the Toyota Tundra Crewmax AND gets better mileage.

And the rebates/incentives plus my trade blew me away. Drivetrain for life as long as all mfr suggested maintenance are performed at dealer. Woohoo!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go out and ogle my new toy.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

should i send you a towelettte??

Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did good! Now, we want to see it...

Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 PM
docargyle

Here she is....

Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 PM
PokerMunkee
Professional

Wow, that's a beauty. You didn't mess around, that's about the nicest truck you can buy right now! Puts a Cadillac to shame!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

I wish I could have afforded such a nice truck. All I could swing was a nicely packaged express. So I have blank spots where you have buttons for cool features. But if yours rides as nice as mine you will find yourself taking the truck on errands that you used to take the wife's CUV. At least I started to do it unconsciously. The power is fun on rare occasion, but its the ride that makes it so nice to drive daily.

But I must warn you, my truck is white and always looks dirty. Every bug splatter, every puddle, will make it dirtier. Invest in some good sponges and bucket.

I really think your truck would look badass with a white sport grill.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 PM
fjblair

Congratulations you bought a winner for sure. Nobody is going to tell you to buy a 4.7 but for many people it is a great choice. I bought a 2012 club with a 4.7 and couldn't be happier. I don't tow much and I don't need head snapping acceleration. The little motor has more than enough power. Despite what some say there can be more than a negligible difference in gas mileage. If you do a lot of interstate and freeway driving the gap is pretty narrow but get in hills or stop and go and the mileage gap can widen quite a bit. Of ourselves it all depends on how you drive.

I have owned three hemi vehicles and have one right now so I'm not a hemi hater or wannabe. My guess is I will most likely own another one. It's a great motor but the 4.7 is a very capable and dependable motor that makes sense for a lot of people for a lot of reasons. You might need the extra power and you might not but if you can't live without the badge then there is no other option but at it's core the decision is as cut and dried as portrayed on some of the forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 PM
marv02
Captain

I just purchased a 2012 Ram1500 Crew Cab 4X4 white with the 5.7 Love the truck.

I had a 2006 Dodge 1500 Q Cab the big mistake with that truck I got with the V-6 and 6 speed stick I screwed up the truck never let me down but it was very under powered and thr MPG was nothing what they claimed it would get.

The 2012 5.7 Hemi get just the same MPG I very happy with the 2012 and with the $8400.00 Rebate plus the life time Factory warranty I never have buy anouther truck ever again.

You have to ask for the Factory life time warranty to get it Dodge is trying to stop sellling it the after market warranty will cost you more and it not life time.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i used to have a 2002 dakota 2wd with a 4.7 and it barely got 15 mpg

Quick Reply: Thinking of Buying Dodge RAM 2012 or 2013