4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

still looking to replace my 98 ram-- what do you think of the 2011 ram sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kayakman
Still looking to replace 98 Ram......What if any thing you tell me about the 2011 Ram Sport. It only has 17,000 km a little over 10,000 mi. I'll know more by the middle of the week if I'm getting it. It's in great shape not abused. Is the 2011(5 speed) a little worse the the 2012's(6speed) for gas mileage. Anything else, I have heard that there can be trouble with the MDS system any truth to that.

cheers
kayakman
I`ve yet to hear of anyone complaining about their MDS having any trouble.
Only thing i hear about is they dont like the sound of it when it drops to 4cyl mode if they have a aftermarket exhaust system. It can drone inside the cab depending on what muffler you install. Other than that, the MDS is pretty much trouble free. Chevy trucks are the ones with all the complaints with trouble. Some say if you go read the chevy forums, lot of people with complaints. Before i bought a new 4th gen ram truck, i road tested all the other brands, ram had them all beat hands down. (price-ride-comfort-power-mpg) They all have their quirks, dodge seems to have less of them. My problem with dodge, their tech`s are poorly trained, their service personal at most stealerships are worthless.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM
bigslick050
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kddsRam
How do you figure, from what I understood, it is the same gear ratios as the 09-11. In extended range mode and tow mode, it gives you access to the top OD gear for better mileage. 2nd and 2ndP gears are still too close in ratio to be of any practical use. Still just the same 5 speed in normal drive mode. Hardly a huge difference. And our dealers in this area all advertise 10,000 off the 2012 Rams as well....
Trust me, if you had driven as many miles as I, between the 2011 5spd and 2012 6spd if would agree. True, the ratios are close at 2nd. Fuel economy is hardly improved much, however it becomes more of a driver oriented. The 6 spd sport manual mode allows superb control over the shift schedule and is very responsive and precise. Overall, torque is readily available to thrust the quick into quick acceration, regardless of what gear your in. The 5 spd would not perform as well in shifting or responsiveness of the manual shift.

So you would agree $10000 off is the best price right?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

Originally Posted by bigslick050
Trust me, if you had driven as many miles as I, between the 2011 5spd and 2012 6spd if would agree. True, the ratios are close at 2nd. Fuel economy is hardly improved much, however it becomes more of a driver oriented. The 6 spd sport manual mode allows superb control over the shift schedule and is very responsive and precise. Overall, torque is readily available to thrust the quick into quick acceration, regardless of what gear your in. The 5 spd would not perform as well in shifting or responsiveness of the manual shift.

So you would agree $10000 off is the best price right?
I call BS here.. I had a 2012 bighorn for the day when ring and pinion / carrier bearings were being replaced. No difference at all from what I could tell. There is no difference at all in "D"rive, same ratios, exact same 5 speed forward gears available. ERM ( or sport manual mode if that's what it is called now ) is exactly the same ratio's for 1-5, 2P just becomes 3rd. Only difference is you have your top OD gear back so 5th becomes 6th. Same stock throttle response. They all feel better in ERM and especially without the MDS crap. Without a tuner, you have no idea what the stock torque mgmt settings are.

2009-2012 is basically the same truck except 11-12 guys are locked out of any performance tuning. To the OP, I would get the cheaper deal. This is why I won't get rid of the 09 yet, too much exactly the same truck, unless you tow frequently and want the extra OD gear in ERM, get the 2012.

I need to drive the 2013 with hemi and 8 speed trans when available with hemi, that may be a "huge" difference, not to mention the adjustable air suspension heights. And my 09 Sport with a 93 octane tune, practically disabled torque mgmt settings, and custom trans schedule, that IS a "huge" difference.

And as far as 10,000 off as best price, no way. High volume dealers can certainly do better than that. And especially if you are neighbors with the finance manager at the high volume dealer..

Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 PM
kayakman
Veteran

This Wednesday pass a new 2012 True Blue Outdoorsmans with luxury group, side steps, with Line-X sprayed box liner and undercoated as well was delivered to us. We really got a great price because we knew some contacts who put us in contact with a dealership vp who help us greatly.
Thanks for all the great feed back. We took the truck this weekend to PEI. This truck will be great for towing our 5th wheel next year. Still have to get a new 5th wheel hitch installed, but we have lots of time to get it.

cheers
kayakman

Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This Wednesday pass a new 2012 True Blue Outdoorsmans with luxury group, side steps, with Line-X sprayed box liner and undercoated as well was delivered to us. We really got a great price because we knew some contacts who put us in contact with a dealership vp who help us greatly.
Thanks for all the great feed back. We took the truck this weekend to PEI. This truck will be great for towing our 5th wheel next year. Still have to get a new 5th wheel hitch installed, but we have lots of time to get it.

cheers
kayakman

Congrats on the new truck!!!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:09 AM
kayakman
Veteran

Thanks DodgeCares, it's been 15 years since we had a new truck. I hope this one will last as long.

cheers

Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Thanks DodgeCares, it's been 15 years since we had a new truck. I hope this one will last as long.

cheers

If you need any help with anything let me know.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:55 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, kayak!

And, DodgeCares, you being on this kind of forum just might sell more Rams than any kind of ad Dodge does! I also read the F150 forums (used to read Chevy too, but no GM brand in my future!!), and there seem to be fewer problems posted for Ram trucks than Ford.

My truck - a 1993 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 odometer broke at 120,360 miles about 8 years ago, so don't know how many miles now. I have to just change oil/filter by time. Other than the odometer issue, that thing has been trouble free!! Best vehicle of any kind I have ever owned! My Dad was a die hard Chrysler fan from way back, so I was kind of raised liking Dodge trucks. And, I have had Chevy and Ford trucks too. No more - Ram for me from now on!

Now, remember kayak - you did not get that truck until we see photos...

Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by MacDak
Congratulations, kayak!

And, DodgeCares, you being on this kind of forum just might sell more Rams than any kind of ad Dodge does! I also read the F150 forums (used to read Chevy too, but no GM brand in my future!!), and there seem to be fewer problems posted for Ram trucks than Ford.

My truck - a 1993 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 odometer broke at 120,360 miles about 8 years ago, so don't know how many miles now. I have to just change oil/filter by time. Other than the odometer issue, that thing has been trouble free!! Best vehicle of any kind I have ever owned! My Dad was a die hard Chrysler fan from way back, so I was kind of raised liking Dodge trucks. And, I have had Chevy and Ford trucks too. No more - Ram for me from now on!

Now, remember kayak - you did not get that truck until we see photos...

Thanks for that and I agree that pics are in order.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM
kayakman
Veteran
Default pictures

pictures

Quick Reply: still looking to replace my 98 ram-- what do you think of the 2011 ram sport