4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

6.7 cummins or 5.7 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Turner661
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7 cummins or 5.7 Hemi

hey im going to be working up north and ill be making some money and im just curious i want a brand new 2013 ram 2500 i really want the power wagon or the laramie cummins.. the question is ill be driving on highway alot. im also planning on lifting (not a huge lift) lets say 37" tires and 5" lift or smaller.

i do enjoy 4x4ing alot so powerwagon would be perfect but i feel like i should get a deisel if im going to stacking on the km and lifting it to get bigger tires. to me i feel more tq better mpg lol. the prices arent to much different so price doesnt matter. ive seen a bunch of cummins vs hemi on here but non that explain what im doing. so

lifted truck lots of highways driving but very rare would i ever tow anything.
what would be the best for mpg and long lasting

thanks

Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
mikenh82
Amateur

Coming from someone that has had a Power Wagon and now has a 2500 Cummins, I would say go for the Cummins. It seems that your budget seems to fit either one, for the money the Cummins is a lot more capable and will do laps around the Power Wagon in the long run. I got a 2010 PW thinking that it would be ok on the highway, and good for daily driving and towing. I ended up trading it in for a 2012 Cummins. Better MPG, way more torque, better on the highway, and not to mention that once you lift it a little and thro some 37's on it you won't be bogged down. I loved the look of the PW more than my new Cummins but funtionality over looks eventially took presidence. I guess I could always add a front bumper,winch, and decals if i really feel the need.
Good luck!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 AM
AZdave
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey mikenh82, any comments or insights regarding emissions or regen issues on the Cummins?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AZdave
hey mikenh82, any comments or insights regarding emissions or regen issues on the Cummins?
If I were to ever buy a diesel, I'd get a DPF bypass pipe..I mean "offroad pipe" and go with a handheld tuner and be done with any DPF related issue's.
ANY service work would require the DPF to be reistalled or you'd void any kind of warranty. No different than if you removed a cat off a gasser.

OP. You want a lifted truck with big mudder tires and do ALOT of highway travel...YIKES!
Diesels are expensive. Not many shops like working on them.

If your not going to be towing, there's no need for a diesel.

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-14-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Nate769
All Star

Having just traded in my 5.7 for a cummins, I can say that having a diesel is definitely a whole different ball game. I will be towing 8k trailers almost every day, and so far the cummins is already paying itself off. The power is incredible, and the fuel economy is better when pulling. However I really have to ask the question was it REALLY worth it? I kinda swing either way.

Gas right now in Alberta is UNDER a dollar a liter. Which that in itself is a miracle. It has not been under a dollar since...well I can't remember....
But for the price difference between the cummins and the hemi, I sure can buy a lot of gas. But I still lean towards the fact that the diesel is a pulling motor, and always will be.

If you take the two motors and compare them stock, they pretty much do the same mileage (not towing) Ya the cummins is more torque, but unless your pulling I don't see a need. My old 5.7 was an AWESOME motor, I would not trade it in for any other gasser. However the "free cummins" promotion was a given for me that sealed the deal.

But unless your pulling, I think the hemi will do you better.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last truck to consider is the power wagon, it will eat you for flue and has more name than substance.

I would go for a base slt 2500 with the hemi and no way in hell would I ever consider puting a lift on a dodge truck.

AS per factery built, the 2500 HD truck it self has issues I have delt with that are still pressent in the 2012, 2013 trucks, just add the miles and run out your warenty, than you will be exacly were I was at with my 06 2500 Ram.

Best to get the cheaper truck, make your money, and bail out of long term dodge ownership...working a truck to earn a living up north is dam hard on the mecanical aspects, and human body!!!

One advantage to running a CTD in the oil filed is dam near every engine is run by diesel, so you never be far from flue.

AS for the 6.7 emissons crap, I ruled out trading in my hemi powerd truck for one, no powerstroke or Duramax for me due poor flue mileage diesel trucks are getting, If your towing your mountain along for the ride, than a diesel make sense..

Right now in Calgary, reg flue is 99 cents per lt diesel is arround 115 per lt ( abought the same as midgrade that flues a hemi)

Check the flue costs where your planning on working, booth midgrade and diesel are more expensive up north..

Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Nate769
All Star

Just a side note on that too, double check your work environments. I know MANY sites North of Mcmurray REQUIRE all diesels to have a safety shutoff. Something you would not have to worry about with a gasser. But I know there are gates that you have to pass through, and they won't let you in until your trucks has an inspection. If you don't have an air shutoff, have fun driving back home...

Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point Nate 769, Diesel enginess can run when the ignition is off, as the compression in the cylinder ig-nights any flue source... This is dangerious when thiers a spill of H2S and your diesel truck is a potential source to light up a bomb.

Flue tankers have to ground thier thier trucks to prevent a static charge igniting any possible leaks at well storage tanks.

Hell of a nice truck you have thier!!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran

Cummins. If you lift the truck and go bigger on the tires, you'll mileage won't be as affected, and diesels get pretty good gas mileage anyway, especially on the highway.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

We burn fuel in Ontario, is this flue a new product out west?

Quick Reply: 6.7 cummins or 5.7 Hemi