4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Advice on buying used 2012 Ram 1500 Crew

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM
ylomnstr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying used 2012 Ram 1500 Crew

Hi guys. I've been looking for a used truck for a while now, and I found one of those "sounds too good to be true" deals. A ford dealer about 3 hours from me is selling a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 outdoorsman edition. It has 55,000 miles, and he's asking $22k. That's about $8k under book value. Carfax comes back clean, and the guy says no issues with it. Just wondering what you think? Anything I should ask or look for specifically? Obviously if I go see it, I'm going to plan on driving home with it that day since it's so far from me.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its at a Ford dealer, so that tells you some one took a hit on this truck and bailed, or it was a rental and bought at auction.

55,000 miles is in one year is a fricking lot of driving, to be safe run the vin threw a dodge dealer for maintance history, and get a mecanical inspection from a dodge dealer, before buying, don't get conned into the dealers aftermarket warenty, or thier word that the truck is A OK..

AS for Car fax, its bull****, I can crash your truck, never report it to insurance, or Law enforcement and fix it my self, thiers no papper trail..

This is a extream example, for sure, but don't get conned into the cute cuddly masscot from car fax..

Also, new or used, your taking a extra hit in depraction on this used Ram if your not paying cash, have a warenty claim from Chrysler denied because this no maintance record, or find your self having to get out of this truck..

Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ylomnstr
Hi guys. I've been looking for a used truck for a while now, and I found one of those "sounds too good to be true" deals. A ford dealer about 3 hours from me is selling a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 outdoorsman edition. It has 55,000 miles, and he's asking $22k. That's about $8k under book value. Carfax comes back clean, and the guy says no issues with it. Just wondering what you think? Anything I should ask or look for specifically? Obviously if I go see it, I'm going to plan on driving home with it that day since it's so far from me.

Ylomnstr,

Send me the vin and I will check for recalls or warranty restrictions and send you a build sheet if you want.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ylomnstr
I would want to see ALL of the maint records.
$8K under book value....BS, not with THAT many miles on it..!!!

My own personal opinion, walk away, thers better deals out there than that one.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch out for used vehicles that may have fallen victim to Hurricane Sandy. A lot of times those vehicles end up in auctions cheap, only to be sold cheap. I'd research and find out where the previous owner resided, just incase it was from the east coast.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
Watch out for used vehicles that may have fallen victim to Hurricane Sandy. A lot of times those vehicles end up in auctions cheap, only to be sold cheap. I'd research and find out where the previous owner resided, just incase it was from the east coast.
GREAT thought & suggestion pwr sedan, i`ve seen that happen ALOT over the years...!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Advice on buying used 2012 Ram 1500 Crew