4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ram 1500 to get V-6 diesel in the third quarter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Talon_66
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate769
Canada does follow EPA, EPA is a federal standard. Here in Alberta we can get away with it because we have no provincial regulations. However technically we can still get hit pretty hard. But because EVERYONE around here runs deleted systems, its hard for it to stick. The focus in this province seems to be the big rigs, and up north. They don't seem to worry about your "average" pickup on the highway.

If you travel to BC, you put your truck on "hot" and blow any kind of black, you bet your coming across the boarder with a fine. Now if it will stick or not cause you don't live there, I am not sure.

The other problem is you can't strip the system, or even the filters off. Not without having the tuner to modify that part of the system. H&S, the leader is not producing them anymore. As stated they are still producing tuners, but you won't have the ability to modify the system as far as filters and DEF systems. If you strip the system without actually turning it off, well now the computer goes into limp mode.

The other problem is that its a brand new motor. Chances of H&S even looking at providing options for deletes are slim. The EPA is all over them, and I am sure would be even more so against a brand new motor...
The EPA is a US govt body and has no authority in Canada, our federal environmental laws may be based upon the us standards but our system is different. Just like Canada doesn't have DOT, ours is transport Canada and ministry of transportation.
I am not concerned what the EPA says or does, it won't effect me.

Last edited by Talon_66; 02-25-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Talon_66
The EPA is a US govt body and has no authority in Canada, our federal environmental laws may be based upon the us standards but our system is different. Just like Canada doesn't have DOT, ours is transport Canada and ministry of transportation.
I am not concerned what the EPA says or does, it won't effect me.
The EPA is effecting us, everything is set on a US standard. Yes Canada doesn't have DOT, but we have such thing as Commercial Vehicle Enforcement. If you don't beleive they won't nail you, that's your choice. Here in southern Alberta we don't see them around much. Take a trip north, mc murray/mckay. CVI is EVERYWHERE! Again they are not focused on the pickups like they are anything else. But find a trucking company and talk to them about their urea systems. They might be telling you they are sticking with older trucks that don't require them. They are big fines for the truckers, especially those who travel outside Alberta. Like I said BC has provincial emission laws, and they DO enforce them. Take a trip over the US border, again you might be coming back with a fine. We are in an awesome province right now, all because of the oilfield. The world looks that the oilsands being one of the biggest polluters, therefore keeping eyes off the pickups.

The other and biggest thing that's effecting us is the EPA is shutting down the manufacturing of aftermarket parts! Which might I remind you all those manufactures are in the states. Unless one of them opens up a plant here in Canada, we are hooped for getting parts. You won't be able to buy a delete pipe for you V6 diesel. You won't get a filter disable option on ANY new tuner being built. Your only bet is to TRY and get your hands on an old tuner. However there are not going to be any kind of guarantees your going to see an applicable tune for it. The second that H&S for example releases a delete tune for that motor, the EPA is going to fine them HUGE! H&S I know are already facing huge fines, do you think they are going to work on a delete tune for that motor while facing the fines that they would?

Parts are not being built anymore, also for this price markup has increase bigtime. The price of an H&S tuner went up 300 bucks in the last 6 months.

I am not trying to start an argument here, but whats going on with the EPA is not effecting us directly. But it most certainly is affecting us.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Talon_66
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate769
The EPA is effecting us, everything is set on a US standard. Yes Canada doesn't have DOT, but we have such thing as Commercial Vehicle Enforcement. If you don't beleive they won't nail you, that's your choice. Here in southern Alberta we don't see them around much. Take a trip north, mc murray/mckay. CVI is EVERYWHERE! Again they are not focused on the pickups like they are anything else. But find a trucking company and talk to them about their urea systems. They might be telling you they are sticking with older trucks that don't require them. They are big fines for the truckers, especially those who travel outside Alberta. Like I said BC has provincial emission laws, and they DO enforce them. Take a trip over the US border, again you might be coming back with a fine. We are in an awesome province right now, all because of the oilfield. The world looks that the oilsands being one of the biggest polluters, therefore keeping eyes off the pickups.

The other and biggest thing that's effecting us is the EPA is shutting down the manufacturing of aftermarket parts! Which might I remind you all those manufactures are in the states. Unless one of them opens up a plant here in Canada, we are hooped for getting parts. You won't be able to buy a delete pipe for you V6 diesel. You won't get a filter disable option on ANY new tuner being built. Your only bet is to TRY and get your hands on an old tuner. However there are not going to be any kind of guarantees your going to see an applicable tune for it. The second that H&S for example releases a delete tune for that motor, the EPA is going to fine them HUGE! H&S I know are already facing huge fines, do you think they are going to work on a delete tune for that motor while facing the fines that they would?

Parts are not being built anymore, also for this price markup has increase bigtime. The price of an H&S tuner went up 300 bucks in the last 6 months.

I am not trying to start an argument here, but whats going on with the EPA is not effecting us directly. But it most certainly is affecting us.
I'm not here to argue either.
I guess we will wait and see what happens. Maybe it will give rise to some Canadian businesses.

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 to get V-6 diesel in the third quarter.